Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

July Changes to Lake Shore and Capitol Limited Dining

• Please log in to reply
473 replies to this topic

#141 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,634 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 14 July 2018 - 10:03 AM

On a related note, #30 had a Diner-Lounge instead of a Superliner Diner.

I'm pretty sure the diner-lounge has been the standard type used on the Capitol for many years now.

Edited by cpotisch, 15 July 2018 - 09:18 AM.

• jis and FrensicPic like this

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#142 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 10:25 AM

Not sure if it is all the time, but I had one on the last CL I was on. Doesn't make much difference, the train still had a SSL car with the cafe was downstairs.

#143 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,729 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 05:57 AM

The beef tenderloin salad was the only non-sugared meal.  Apparently it was available for breakfasts before.  But now, with no egg option for breakfast, there's nothing for the diabetic or low-carb eater.  Unbelievably sloppy.

CORRECTION: the antipasto plate seems to be OK, if you throw out half of it. I guess it's that, over and over again. :-(

Edited by neroden, 15 July 2018 - 06:05 AM.

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#144 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,729 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 05:59 AM

attachicon.gifAmtrak Meal.jpg

As part of this discussion it had been brought up that ACELA First Class provides meal service with pre made entrees reheated on board.

Here is an example of a breakfast entree.

Bluntly this would be fine for the sleeping cars.  Is there some reason Amtrak can't copy this?  Hostility to passengers?  Incompetence?

Edited by neroden, 15 July 2018 - 05:59 AM.

--Nathanael--

#145 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,729 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 06:00 AM

My gut tells me that Mr. Anderson, with an airline frame of mind, came in and looked at the diners and exclaimed "Are you effing kidding me? Three plus people to turn out this slop!?!?"

Everything about this experiment leads me to believe this to be true, and that dining for sleeping car passengers will quickly fall into line with what is served to Acela first class passengers.

I would love to believe that, but they could have done that so much more easily by *actually copying the Acela First Class menu* that I have to ask why they didn't.
--Nathanael--

#146 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,729 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 06:03 AM

It's not crumbs when you're under a federal mandate to eliminate food and beverage losses.

Amtrak is also under a federal mandate to report *avoidable* costs for the long-distance trains. They have ignored this mandate for 10 years and Anderson continues to ignore it. Maybe they should actually get their accounting right before making business decisions...
  • Bob Dylan likes this
--Nathanael--

#147 Maverickstation

Maverickstation

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:Equality.

Posted 15 July 2018 - 07:26 AM

Here is the link to the ACELA First Class menus, there are (3) that are rotated.

If this was used as the basis for LD dining service, it should be cost effective enough to pass the mandate imposed on Amtrak for it's F & B service.

https://www.amtrak.c...-Menus-0418.pdf

The poster formally known as Peconicstation.

Location: Boston MA, the greatest city in America, and home of South Station, Amtrak's best large city station.

#148 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,519 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 15 July 2018 - 11:06 AM

Acela menus are a bit better. I don’t get the fascination with mixing so much in with eggs. Not everyone likes every ingredient. Just keep it simple.
  • me_little_me and cpotisch like this

#149 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 02:50 PM

Acela menus are a bit better. I don’t get the fascination with mixing so much in with eggs. Not everyone likes every ingredient. Just keep it simple.

So true. Nothing worse than a meal where you can't easily ignore or remove ingredients because of dietary or taste reasons unless of course you can request a customized version. For those of us that are vegetarians once-removed, as well as for regular vegetarians and anyone else with dietary issues or specific taste buds, it makes a lot of sense.

#150 Dakota 400

Dakota 400

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 03:06 PM

Here is the link to the ACELA First Class menus, there are (3) that are rotated.

If this was used as the basis for LD dining service, it should be cost effective enough to pass the mandate imposed on Amtrak for it's F & B service.

These menus sound very decent.  I noted with interest that Crown Royal Canadian Whisky is availed on Acela.  Being a Canadian Whisky drinker, it irks me that Canadian Whisky is not available on the LD trains.  Anyone have an idea as to why?

#151 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 15 July 2018 - 03:29 PM

I believe that I had the answer a few posts back.  If you must, use the Cardinal menu for the LSL and CL.  One man does it all and the food while not up to par with full dining car service is far better than the boxed, high salt, high sugar, high additives crap that they are now serving to their best customers. That's cancer food..

#152 Amtrakfflyer

Amtrakfflyer

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 03:51 PM

Just like the Parlour Car, one attendant served 24 sit down lunches and dinners. One hot entree and one cold choice. The food was pre prepared minus some veges the attendant would dice in his down time in the afternoon. This was service on china with linen tablecloths. The attendant was also a bartender the entire time as well. He had no help from the adjoining dining car at all except they did his reservations. Supposedly Anderson road on the Parlour car and immediately ordered them parked. Ive said it before the Coast Starlight was the experimental train and Anderson killed the experiments as one of his first orders of business.
Since the dining car is headed to a sleeper only service the way the Parlour did it for its sleeping car passengers if efficient as it is/was. Its something customers could live and be happy with.

Im still interested on what Anderson wants on his experimental/experience train he talks about. My guess its all hot air hes just an ideologue that doesnt want the LD trains at all.

#153 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 03:55 PM

That's cancer food..

I get that you’re not a fan of “contemporary dining,” but calling it “cancer food” sounds a bit extreme. You’re not going to get cancer because a meal is sugary or salty. It just doesn’t work like that.

Edited by cpotisch, 18 July 2018 - 08:38 AM.

• Ryan, ehbowen, Chey and 1 other like this

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#154 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 04:27 PM

More likely carcinogens in foods are usually preservatives, food coloring, and nitrites in cured food.  Too much sodium, fat, and sugar is certainly not healthy, but raising the cancer risk probably is not the top reason. A steak, (red meat in general) particularly if cooked well is considered a cancer risk, but most of us would be happy to see one again. I'm not so sure that most packaged/prepared meals make a good showing, they are generally weak on fiber, too heavy on fats, sugars and sodium. The nutrition information for the reheats was not any better. But is that radically different from what most establishments serve, and perhaps sadly, what the majority of people actually want to buy? 

Edited by PVD, 15 July 2018 - 04:30 PM.

• cpotisch likes this

#155 OBS

OBS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 06:38 PM

These menus sound very decent.  I noted with interest that Crown Royal Canadian Whisky is availed on Acela.  Being a Canadian Whisky drinker, it irks me that Canadian Whisky is not available on the LD trains.  Anyone have an idea as to why?

Low sales.

#156 Dakota 400

Dakota 400

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 07:18 PM

Low sales.

So the sales of Crown Royal on Acela is better?  I'd like to see the data on that.

#157 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 08:20 PM

More likely carcinogens in foods are usually preservatives, food coloring, and nitrites in cured food.  Too much sodium, fat, and sugar is certainly not healthy, but raising the cancer risk probably is not the top reason. A steak, (red meat in general) particularly if cooked well is considered a cancer risk, but most of us would be happy to see one again. I'm not so sure that most packaged/prepared meals make a good showing, they are generally weak on fiber, too heavy on fats, sugars and sodium. The nutrition information for the reheats was not any better. But is that radically different from what most establishments serve, and perhaps sadly, what the majority of people actually want to buy? 

Exactly. Just because something is unhealthy doesn't necessarily mean it'll put you at any risk of getting cancer. Feel free to claim that the meals are unhealthy or are bad for those with dietary restrictions, but making up stuff about cancer really won't help your argument.

#158 OBS

OBS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 08:53 PM

Low sales.

So the sales of Crown Royal on Acela is better?  I'd like to see the data on that.

No the sales aren't that much better, but trying to provide an upscale image and a larger selection of liquor than any other train. 

#159 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, And Web App Development

Posted 15 July 2018 - 09:54 PM

Low sales.

On LD's you have to pay for your booze and on Acela first you don't. Probably not enough people are paying for it on the LD's.

#160 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 06:38 AM

Could you explain your last statement please?  It seems contradictory. 

I also thought that there was a free drink--which might be liquor--in the new set-up, no?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users