Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

July Changes to Lake Shore and Capitol Limited Dining

• Please log in to reply
473 replies to this topic

#41 Ringfinder

Ringfinder

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Riding Amtrak, Docent at Allen County Museum, Lima Ohio home of Lima Locomotive Works, Metal Detecting and travel, My profile picture is of a Shay Locomotive built in Lima in 1925

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:18 PM

I wonder if the MAN in charge is reading all the comments or is he stuck on Twitter?

#42 Triley

Triley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 01:52 AM

I don't know why Amtrak can't offer a modest slice of quiche, warmed, at breakfast. Any supplier should be able to accommodate this, and rotate at least three varieties. A normal size quiche should yield at least six slices. Pair that with some fresh fruit and some cold cereal and it should be OK.

In fact quiche is one of those items that could be carried over at lunch time.

Everything must be self contained because there is only one LSA for the entire car. To cook something separate (an entire quiche to be cooked and split/plated) would require a chef as well

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

#43 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,303 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 06 July 2018 - 02:37 AM

Being honest, I am unlikely to afford to ride in a sleeper again, so the "included" food options are not a massive issue for me. I can bring some instant porridge sachets aboard, and get hot water from the cafe. Bingo! Hot breakfast, along with a bannana or apple. I have also brought hard boiled eggs, these last a few days without refrigeration.

Some folk need particular foods for health reasons, but for most of us an unbalanced diet for a day or two won't do too much harm on a long distance train.

I guess what I am trying to say, is that we can all bring nicer food aboard, even in the sleepers... Eating the Amtrak "offerings" seems more a chore rather than a gastronomic pleasure, judging by these AU forums?

I have not quite understood the "box" meals situation... Are they served in a cafe car where other folk can also consume their own food, or in a quite seperate dinner? Just wondering if it is feasable to add an item of your own food to the included box meals?

Ed,

Edited by caravanman, 06 July 2018 - 02:46 AM.

#44 Rheavon

Rheavon

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Vintage Life, Train Museums, Enjoying Life

Posted 06 July 2018 - 06:46 AM

I wonder how it will be heated- if it is convection oven reheated or microwaved.

Also hopefully there's enough for everyone who wants a hot meal.

~Rheavon~

Upcoming Routes: TBA

Past Routes: Northeast Regional (PVD-NYP), Texas Eagle (CHI-STL, AUS-STL x3, STL-AUS x4), Silver Meteor (ORL-WAS), Capitol Limited (WAS-CHI)

#45 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,521 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 06 July 2018 - 07:35 AM

I guess what I am trying to say, is that we can all bring nicer food aboard, even in the sleepers... Eating the Amtrak "offerings" seems more a chore rather than a gastronomic pleasure, judging by these AU forums?

I have not quite understood the "box" meals situation... Are they served in a cafe car where other folk can also consume their own food, or in a quite seperate dinner? Just wondering if it is feasable to add an item of your own food to the included box meals?

Ed,

That's a good question...

Typically, they do not permit you to bring your own food to tables where they serve you theirs...but since it is now essentially "self-service" from the counter to the tables, perhaps you can mix your own to what they provide....not sure... :unsure:

• rrdude likes this
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#46 Turtle

Turtle

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 08:14 AM

Never posted in here before, but do read some. Here are my recent meals on the CL

I've had each twice in the last week and presentation was slightly different for each. The chicken was cut and laid out differently in the salad on my return trip. The parmesan crisps were also in the salad instead of bagged separate. And for breakfast the second time the blueberries were already in the yogurt instead of separate on top.

Attached File  IMG_3482.jpg   1.77MB   42 downloadsAttached File  IMG_3491.jpg   1.96MB   56 downloads

#47 Turtle

Turtle

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 08:20 AM

You place your order with the SCA and designate a time to go pick dinner up. Then you can eat at the tables, in the observation car or your room. It comes in a green bag. For breakfast you just pick it up whenever.

#48 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,106 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 06 July 2018 - 10:48 AM

Darn. That does not look like a high quality blueberry muffin.  :(

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#49 niemi24s

niemi24s

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 11:22 AM

Never posted in here before, but do read some. Here are my recent meals on the CL

Thank you, Turtle. 

Finally after forty + posts of meaningless blather it takes a brand new forum member to post the very first meaningful thing about the new food items.  Congratulations and welcome to the Forum! 

How'd the stuff taste?

#50 Turtle

Turtle

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 11:36 AM

Haha. Thanks.

The salad was not bad. I couldn't eat the pasta as I'm gluten sensitive. So likewise I didn't eat any of the breakfast bread.

I don't like that there are no non caffeine soda options with dinner. No more Mist or whatever they had. They do have sparkling water and ginger ale.

What bothers me most (other than the lack of the food I loved) is the waste. You have to take the whole boxed meal even if you want just one thing. Then people just throw the rest away. I hated doing that, but had no way to take it with me on my trip. The cheesecake comes in a glass Mason jar. Since when are they disposable? I did wash mine out and save them.

My son only wanted chips. Rather than get a whole meal just to throw 95% of it away we bought chips at the cafe.
  • Paull65 likes this

#51 Turtle

Turtle

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 11:41 AM

I will say the presentation was top notch. It was packaged very nicely. Fake silverware was rolled in the thickest napkin I've ever used (was paper, but felt like cloth). Plastic containers had fancy designs and were very strong. Came in the green bag to carry it in. Box was like balsa wood and not strong, so it's good they had the bag... But how many bags get thrown away?
  • cpotisch likes this

#52 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,106 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 11:49 AM

Thank you, Turtle. 

Finally after forty + posts of meaningless blather it takes a brand new forum member to post the very first meaningful thing about the new food items.  Congratulations and welcome to the Forum! 

How'd the stuff taste?

While I greatly appreciate the photos and info Turtle posted, it seems a bit harsh to label every single post up to this point “meaningless blather.” Also, Turtle joined in January of last year.

Edited by cpotisch, 30 August 2018 - 05:10 PM.

• VentureForth, Ryan, Devil's Advocate and 3 others like this

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#53 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,445 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 06 July 2018 - 11:53 AM

I'm finding this thread to be very informative and see no "blather".( that's for trainorders! LOL)

It does sound like Amtrak is trying to come up with a better menu based on feedback from actual riders but there does seem to still be too much unhealthy stuff in the meals and lots of trash generated by this system.

Why no "Hot " Breakfast choice yet?
  • frequentflyer, Mystic River Dragon, daybeers and 1 other like this
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#54 tommylicious

tommylicious

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 12:21 PM

Hot breakfast!  Nuke croissant egg, cheese sandwiches?

#55 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,106 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 12:24 PM

I'm finding this thread to be very informative and see no "blather".( that's for trainorders! LOL)
It does sound like Amtrak is trying to come up with a better menu based on feedback from actual riders but there does seem to still be too much unhealthy stuff in the meals and lots of trash generated by this system.

I’m not sure Amtrak is trying to come up with a better menu for passengers’ sake. Perhaps their thinking is that passengers don’t like the new meals, so giving them less food must be what they want.

#56 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 06 July 2018 - 12:37 PM

Maybe the "trash generated" is how they are determining what is disliked in each box! :unsure:

Sign me up for a hot breakfast choice too.

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

5540 miles booked for this fall on the Sunset Limited, City of New Orleans, Illini/Saluki, Southwest Chief.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/

#57 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 12:55 PM

I do agree that the "blather" comment was a bit harsh--PVD, for example, has presented what he found clearly, succinctly, and helpfully, without any blather at all.

I am sure I have blathered on somewhere here, but if you can't blather with your friends, who can you do it with? :P

• PVD, daybeers and cpotisch like this

#58 Turtle

Turtle

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 01:13 PM

I'd like a hot breakfast as well, sausage and eggs would be great. It is a long ride with just a cold breakfast, especially last week when we didn't get to DC until 5pm.
  • crescent2 likes this

#59 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,106 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 01:19 PM

Buttermilk Pancakes and/or Railroad French Toast would be great. Both can be microwaved or convection ovened.

#60 frequentflyer

frequentflyer

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 03:31 PM

:)  :)  :giggle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users