Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

July Changes to Lake Shore and Capitol Limited Dining

• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#201 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,834 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 04:26 PM

It's been a long time since I had Bacardi neat, and I'm sure there's a reason for why I don't exactly remember what it tasted like, and it's been a long time.

Nobody drinks Bacardi Superior neat unless it's part of a dare or suicide pact. 

Perhaps you're thinking of Limon or Anejo?

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 19 July 2018 - 04:29 PM.

• tommylicious likes this

#202 TiBike

TiBike

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 04:39 PM

No, I'm thinking of college. We were fearless in those days  :wacko:

Perhaps you're thinking of Limon or Anejo?

Coast Starlight • California Zephyr • Crescent • Lake Shore Limited • San Joaquin • Capitol Corridor • Pacific Surfliner

Shinkansen • TranzAlpine (NZ) • Northern Explorer (NZ) • Coastal Pacific (NZ) • Great Southern Rail Overland (Oz) • Tze-Chiang Limited (ROC) • Thello Venice-Paris

#203 keelhauled

keelhauled

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 11:27 AM

While the Boars Head branding and menu are still present in the cafe car, yesterday's 449 was stocked with Fresh Direct (I think it was) products, or at least the chicken wrap and breakfast sandwich I ate were. They were both pretty good. I appreciated that the breakfast sandwich was made with a single egg instead of a blended egg patty.

Incidentally, the business class soft product includes one free alcoholic drink, unlimited soft drinks, and an amenity kit with a blanket, neck pillow, eye mask, and earplugs. It seems to be popular, sold out leaving Albany and still mostly full when I left in Toledo.

We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works.

#204 Maverickstation

Maverickstation

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Interests:Equality.

Posted Yesterday, 10:06 AM

The Food Facts site now has the 411 on the pre made Beef Short Rib, and as expected it is a nutritional disaster.

http://www.amtrakfoo...-CPT-LSL-22.pdf

Ken

• cpotisch likes this

The poster formally known as Peconicstation.

Location: Boston MA, the greatest city in America, and home of South Station, Amtrak's best large city station.

#205 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,949 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted Yesterday, 10:23 AM

It tastes very nice though .

There is very little that is not a nutritional disaster in the Amtrak offerings involving meats even in the Diner anyway.
  • AmtrakBlue likes this

#206 Maverickstation

Maverickstation

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Interests:Equality.

Posted Yesterday, 10:48 AM

There is very little that is not a nutritional disaster in the Amtrak offerings involving meats even in the Diner anyway.

Actually no, the Flat Iron steak served on the trains with a full diner winds up looking like health food compared to the Short Rib from dietary hell.

http://www.amtrakfoo...ALL-2017-31.pdf

• FrensicPic and cpotisch like this

The poster formally known as Peconicstation.

Location: Boston MA, the greatest city in America, and home of South Station, Amtrak's best large city station.

#207 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted Yesterday, 10:55 AM

Holy crap. It’s not even close. The short rib has 91 grams of fat. That’s 140% of your daily recommended intake. Dear god.
Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#208 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,028 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:11 AM

Holy crap. It’s not even close. The short rib has 91 grams of fat. That’s 140% of your daily recommended intake. Dear god.

It's a bit of an apples and oranges comparison. The traditional meal facts are for the entree only. The new meal data is for the entire dinner: including roll, butter, salad, salad dressing, and dessert.

• pennyk likes this

#209 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,332 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:25 AM

It's a bit of an apples and oranges comparison. The traditional meal facts are for the entree only. The new meal data is for the entire dinner: including roll, butter, salad, salad dressing, and dessert.

Plus everything in moderation.  It's ok to eat "bad" foods as long as it not a mainstay in your diet.  

#210 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:29 AM

Fair enough. I guess it’s sort of inconsequential for me anyway since I don’t eat meat ;)
Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#211 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:26 PM

The more you drink, the less you will care about the  difference between the "good stuff" and "the rest"... :P  ;)

LOL!  May I add what I hope others will see as a bit of humor as a follow-up to this post?

During an Alaskan cruise, a whale was spotted near the ship during Happy Hour.  Everyone rushed to the windows with the hope of seeing the whale.  Most of us were disappointed.  Then, a Lounge Steward said in a very loud voice,"The more you drink, the more whales you'll see!"
Makes me wonder if there actually was a whale in the first place...
  • Rail Freak likes this

#212 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:29 PM

It's been a long time since I had Bacardi neat, and I'm sure there's a reason for why I don't exactly remember what it tasted like, and it's been a long time.

And then a few hours later:

Edited by cpotisch, Yesterday, 12:31 PM.

#213 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,949 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted Yesterday, 01:40 PM

Actually no, the Flat Iron steak served on the trains with a full diner winds up looking like health food compared to the Short Rib from dietary hell.

http://www.amtrakfoo...ALL-2017-31.pdf
Which is generally true when typical short ribs served in restaurants are compared with grilled steak. Neither are health food but one is considerably worse than the other.

It would be nice of course if there were more choices in the menu.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users