Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

July Changes to Lake Shore and Capitol Limited Dining

• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#1 AmtrakLKL

AmtrakLKL

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 09:45 PM

Some adjustments are coming to the Lake Shore and Capital menus. Starting July 11, the beef tenderloin salad will be replaced with a hot short rib, polenta and vegetable entree. It will be served with a side salad and the same salted caramel dessert. 

The breakfast box is being slimmed down with mango and grapes replacing the fresh fruit mix along with the Kind bar and banana nut bread being removed. 

Moderator edit: This topic will now be the home for discussion of Lake Shore Limited and Capitol Limited dining. The prior topic can be found at:

Amtrak's New "Fresh Choices" Dining on CL & LSL

Edited by PRR 60, 05 July 2018 - 10:23 AM.
Added link to prior topic

• cpotisch likes this

#2 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,507 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 04 July 2018 - 09:59 PM

Some adjustments are coming to the Lake Shore and Capital menus. Starting July 11, the beef tenderloin salad will be replaced with a hot short rib, polenta and vegetable entree. It will be served with a side salad and the same salted caramel dessert. 

The breakfast box is being slimmed down with mango and grapes replacing the fresh fruit mix along with the Kind bar and banana nut bread being removed. 

An "adjustment" is about all that is. I'd rather have the beet tenderloin. The breakfast? Leave the fruit alone and c'mon, add a boiled egg!

• Ringfinder, Palmetto and Chey like this

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

5540 miles booked for this fall on the Sunset Limited, City of New Orleans, Illini/Saluki, Southwest Chief.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/

#3 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 05 July 2018 - 08:28 AM

An "adjustment" is about all that is. I'd rather have the beet tenderloin. The breakfast? Leave the fruit alone and c'mon, add a boiled egg!

I'm focusing more on the fact that they're adding a hot option than on the actual change. If it seems like Amtrak is willing to offer a couple hot entrees, I feel a little bit better about what we eventually might see.

• Triley, crescent2, LookingGlassTie and 1 other like this
Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#4 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,949 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:22 AM

It should be relatively simple to add a reasonable hot item for Breakfast too.

• crescent2 likes this

#5 chrsjrcj

chrsjrcj

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:27 AM

The hot entree sounds alright, and may be what stops me from writing these trains off for future travel. If/when the menu is expanded nationally, I would like to see a little variety in the menu from train to train, but I will not hold my breath.

I am not a big breakfast eater to begin with, but it is still bothersome on the eastbound CL which arrives in DC after lunchtime, without serving lunch. Breakfast sandwich from the cafe it is. At least my drink is still free.
  • tricia and crescent2 like this

#6 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 10:30 AM

It strikes me as odd that 41 days into the new system, they're revising it, but it seems like the only change will be different fruit at breakfast and a hot option replacing the salad. Unless there's more stuff that AmtrakLKL didn't mention, I just don't see the point of making such a minor change.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#7 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,332 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 10:43 AM

It strikes me as odd that 41 days into the new system, they're revising it, but it seems like the only change will be different fruit at breakfast and a hot option replacing the salad. Unless there's more stuff that AmtrakLKL didn't mention, I just don't see the point of making such a minor change.

It’s called “testing the waters”. First they tested with the cold box meals. We saw what the results of that was. Now they’re slowly adding/changing it to continue testing the water. They’re trying to save money but keep the customers happy (despite all the posts here & elsewhere saying they don’t care about the customers).
  • Triley, railiner, seat38a and 3 others like this

#8 AmtrakLKL

AmtrakLKL

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 10:45 AM

I'm happy to see changes, however minor, happening so quickly in response to passenger and crew feedback.

• jis, railiner, Eric S and 3 others like this

#9 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 10:50 AM

I know I am cynical about this topic, but I think their purpose is more cost cutting, presented (marketed) as trying to keep customers happy. (They don't have to pay for the Kind bars, which are good but perhaps expensive, or the banana bread thing, which just repeats carbs already available in the muffin. I bet they get a terrific deal on the dessert, which sounds awful, even to me with my sweet tooth.)

Edited by Mystic River Dragon, 05 July 2018 - 10:51 AM.

#10 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 10:58 AM

I know I am cynical about this topic, but I think their purpose is more cost cutting, presented (marketed) as trying to keep customers happy. (They don't have to pay for the Kind bars, which are good but perhaps expensive, or the banana bread thing, which just repeats carbs already available in the muffin. I bet they get a terrific deal on the dessert, which sounds awful, even to me with my sweet tooth.)

Oh, somehow I missed the removal of the Kind bar and banana bread. I will say that it seems like most people like the cheesecake, but I can imagine it's not for everyone. It could be cost cutting, but I feel like this early on in the new system, it wouldn't make much sense to cut back on the menu even further, given the apparent pushback. I guess we'll see soon.

#11 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,949 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:01 AM

Since they had said from the get go that they will make adjustments based on feedback, now that they are doing so should be no surprise IMHO.

Both the proposed changes appear to be consisted with even the issues discussed on AU by its learned members.

• Ryan, railiner, AmtrakBlue and 5 others like this

#12 Chey

Chey

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Interests:North American passenger trains, especially Amtrak and VIA

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:15 AM

The beef tenderloin salad was the entrée I was most looking forward to. A hot short rib just doesn't excite me, I don't know what polenta would do to my blood sugar and the veggies I've had before from the diner were never anything to write home about. Disappointing...

Breakfast sounds okay, I understand why someone would prefer eggs though.

Edited by Chey, 05 July 2018 - 11:18 AM.

#13 Palmland

Palmland

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • Interests:Transportation, Model RR, Exploring the U.S., First class rail travel

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:17 AM

Look at the bright side of all this - no need to leave a tip at meals! But, I'm glad to see a hot meal dinner option.

But for those of us wanting a high protein low carb diet, breakfast is still a disaster.  Is it so hard to produce an egg mcmuffin type sandwich (no cheese needed).

• tricia, crescent2 and cpotisch like this

#14 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:22 AM

If they offered a hot veggie burger, which I imagine they could do if they can handle a hot short rib, then I'd be fine. Annoyingly, I haven't been able to find anything about the vegan wrap or any of the stuff that it comes with. From what the menu says, I do not find it appealing, and until I hear otherwise...

#15 tommylicious

tommylicious

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:52 AM

Just don't ride these lines and warn people who are contemplating it !   Zero protein breakfast awful. We already booked air instead of Amtrak for a fall trip solely because of these downgrades.

Edited by tommylicious, 05 July 2018 - 11:53 AM.

#16 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 12:17 PM

Just don't ride these lines and warn people who are contemplating it !   Zero protein breakfast awful. We already booked air instead of Amtrak for a fall trip solely because of these downgrades.

What class of what airline?

Edited by crescent-zephyr, 05 July 2018 - 12:24 PM.

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

VIA: - Canadian*

Iowa Pacific - Hoosier State*, and City of New Orleans Pullman*.   

#17 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,876 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 12:32 PM

The current breakfast box offers 39g of protein. Pretty far from zero. Not my preferred choices of items, and too much sugar and fat for most folks. 

• jis, Ryan, seat38a and 3 others like this

#18 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 12:52 PM

PVD--where is the protein? I can see the yogurt might have some, but, except for the Kind bar they are getting rid of, I can't see where more protein would be.

#19 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,876 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 01:01 PM

Since I actually got these (breakfast boxes) on different trains I rode, the LSL and the CL, I kept the nutrition/ingredient card that was packed in the box:

Yogurt: 15g, Fruit Plate: 2g Blueberry Muffin: 9g  Kashi Bar 3g  Kind Bar 6g Banana Bread: 4g 

Edited by PVD, 05 July 2018 - 01:03 PM.

• jis, Ryan, seat38a and 1 other like this

#20 Chey

Chey

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Interests:North American passenger trains, especially Amtrak and VIA

Posted 05 July 2018 - 01:12 PM

I didn't know they included nutrition/ingredient cards. That's an improvement for me for sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users