Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Help Please- Day Trip From Portland OR suggestions

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Jan_*

Guest_Jan_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2018 - 08:56 AM

Looking to do day trip (board in the morning and return to Portland OR preferably before 9 PM) on the Crescent from Portland OR. Any suggestions? Ideally, would appreciate some scenery and the destination be in a location where I could spend some time between arrival and departure of trains, such as a park, etc
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks!

#2 Guest_Jan_*

Guest_Jan_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:02 AM

Sorry I meant that I am planning a day trip on the Cascades Train Not the Crescent train.

#3 Maglev

Maglev

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Interests:Trains, environmental science, planetary volcanism.

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:43 AM

Seattle is a great city to visit, and the train ride is interesting if not very scenic.  Eugene is also a city with some parks near the station, but the ride is somewhat boring.

Northeast corridor Heritage, Metroliner, Amfleet and Acela, CN Super Continental, Broadway Limited, Lone Star, Sunset Limited, Coast Starlight, San Joaquin, Southwest Limited, National Limited, Champion, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Wolverine, Crescent, Empire Builder, Cascades, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Meteor, Cardinal. 

#4 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:51 AM

Seattle is definitely a good place, and the ride isn't very long at all so you'd have a good amount of time there.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#5 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,446 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:32 AM

There are many trains per day between Portland and Seattle, so if you took a early train you could have a full day in Seattle.
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#6 BCL

BCL

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,671 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 03:50 PM

Maybe not as a day trip, but Vancouver, BC is very doable as an overnight.  Using buses might help to get more time though, since there's only a single train from Portland to Vancouver, BC.

It might also be easier to use the Vancouver, WA station since it has parking.

#7 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 05 July 2018 - 03:57 PM

Maybe not as a day trip, but Vancouver, BC is very doable as an overnight.  Using buses might help to get more time though, since there's only a single train from Portland to Vancouver, BC.

I was looking at Vancouver, BC, but taking the Cascades there would require two overnights. Unfortunately, that wouldn't even fit into a typical weekend.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#8 BCL

BCL

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,671 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 06:10 PM

I was looking at Vancouver, BC, but taking the Cascades there would require two overnights. Unfortunately, that wouldn't even fit into a typical weekend.

I mapped out 504/8900 PDX-SEA-VAC, 8:20 AM to 5:15 PM, although that requires a bus from Seattle.  The direct train arrives at 11:15 PM.  There are a variety of options for the return.

Not sure about the return time, although the direct train (517) leaves at 6:35 AM.  That might leave about 5 hours to explore the area before getting some sleep and getting back to the train station for the return ride.  Or do the bus again, which would give about 5 more hours in the morning in Vancouver.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users