The proposed dedicated track, using a new, more efficient train car fleet, is expected to:
- Relieve congestion, particularly in and out of major urban centres
- Boost economic development and benefits along the railway corridor
- Deliver a safer rail infrastructure and a more sustainable rail transportation system
- Maximize ridership and revenue potential of passenger routes where market demand warrants
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions and air pollutants that contribute to climate change and smog
- Create a self-funding project that will significantly reduce government subsidies within the Corridor
The dedicated tracks project would also allow the re-design of the current frequencies operating on the shared environment to better meet regional needs for increased service.