Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Upgrade Coupons

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 scrollmaster

scrollmaster

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 04:55 AM

I recently made select plus which is about best I guess I can hope for living in northeast Louisiana and the closest Amtrak station any direction more than a hundred miles away. I really don't see any way for me to use the upgrade coupons on the long distance trains I've ridden or am I missing something? The companion coupons I received I use on short jaunts to Dallas with my wife riding coach but not seeing any way to benefit from the upgrade coupons.

#2 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 04 July 2018 - 08:47 AM

Upgrade coupons only apply to trains in the Northeast, Midwest, on the Coast Starlight, and on the Pacific Surfliner. You can't find business class anywhere else, unfortunately.

• scrollmaster likes this

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#3 scrollmaster

scrollmaster

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 09:27 AM

Yeah that's what I kind of figured out. Shame I can't trade upgrade coupons for companion coupons

#4 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,446 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 04 July 2018 - 11:01 AM

Upgrade coupons only apply to trains in the Northeast, Midwest, on the Coast Starlight, and on the Pacific Surfliner. You can't find business class anywhere else, unfortunately.

You can also find business class offered on the LSL, the Cardinal and maybe a few other trains.
  • scrollmaster likes this
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#5 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 06:11 PM

You can also find business class offered on the LSL, the Cardinal and maybe a few other trains.

Right, that's included in the Northeast and midwest. I didn't just mean the NEC - I meant the Northeast US as a whole.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#6 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,446 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 05 July 2018 - 01:00 AM

So if you want to take the Cardinal from Staunton to Charleston, or the Palmetto from Rocky Mount to Savannah, would that be considered northeast or Midwest?:huh:

Edited by the_traveler, 05 July 2018 - 01:07 AM.

• cpotisch likes this
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#7 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 08:34 AM

So if you want to take the Cardinal from Staunton to Charleston, or the Palmetto from Rocky Mount to Savannah, would that be considered northeast or Midwest? :huh:

Point taken and I forfeit the argument.  :)

#8 uppereastsider

uppereastsider

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Amtrak Select Executive

Posted 06 July 2018 - 02:10 PM

Yeah that's what I kind of figured out. Shame I can't trade upgrade coupons for companion coupons

I would be happy to trade my companion coupons for upgrade coupons. I currently have 5 and they almost always go unused, while I constantly use upgrade coupons as I travel on the Acela frequently for work.

Feel free to PM me if interested

#9 Triley

Triley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 12:38 AM

Cascades? Downeaster?

Edited by Triley, 07 July 2018 - 12:40 AM.

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

#10 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 11:13 AM

Cascades? Downeaster?

I counted the Downeaster as northeast, but I totally forgot about Cascades so point taken.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users