Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Sleeper Class Bus

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 05:30 AM

Deleted.

Edited by Palmetto, 19 July 2018 - 05:30 AM.

#22 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,702 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 10:15 PM

I generally only fly red eyes flights back from the west coast if I can help it. I like having that extra day. And night flying isn't that bad.

With jet speeds in the mix, I'm trying to figure out what sorts of WB routes would be long enough for an overnight.  I know TPAC routes sort-of end up working for that.  The main problem is that, particularly as you get further north, if you're going  WB you're bumping through enough timezones that (for example) LHR-LAX is timetabled at 11:00-11:30 but you blow through eight timezones in the process.  Paris and Rome are a bit more (11:30-11:50 PAR-LAX, 13:05 FCO-LAX) but knock out another timezone.  Rome-LAX is 12:05 (further north) but knocks out 10 timezones (arguably making an SVO-LAX flight on SU the longest two hours of your life :-p)

Edit: This is also part of how I left HKG one evening and got into IAD in time to catch the Meteor on the way home...even with a long enough layover at LHR to pop down to Paddington Station, out to Reading, and back.

Edit 2: I think LAX-SYD/BNE only really ends up being long enough because it also crosses the equator (whereas a lot of the Europe-US routes end up being polar-ish).

Edited by Anderson, 27 July 2018 - 10:24 PM.

• Seaboard92 likes this

Amtrak mileage to date: Somewhere between 120,000 and 150,000 miles...I /really/ need to run all of my trips through a calculator sometime.

...and no, I am not /that/ Anderson...;-)

#23 allanorn

allanorn

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 11:18 PM

I generally only fly red eyes flights back from the west coast if I can help it. I like having that extra day. And night flying isn't that bad.

With jet speeds in the mix, I'm trying to figure out what sorts of WB routes would be long enough for an overnight.  I know TPAC routes sort-of end up working for that.  The main problem is that, particularly as you get further north, if you're going  WB you're bumping through enough timezones that (for example) LHR-LAX is timetabled at 11:00-11:30 but you blow through eight timezones in the process.  Paris and Rome are a bit more (11:30-11:50 PAR-LAX, 13:05 FCO-LAX) but knock out another timezone.  Rome-LAX is 12:05 (further north) but knocks out 10 timezones (arguably making an SVO-LAX flight on SU the longest two hours of your life :-p)

Hawaiian Airlines runs an interesting flight - leaves Las Vegas at 1:55am, arrives in Honolulu at 5am. It's blocked at six hours so it might be enough time to get a decent nap and look okay for work.

Amtrak: Pacific Surfliner | Coast Starlight x2 | San Joaquins | Amtrak Cascades | Empire Builder | Lake Shore Limited
Regional: LIRR | NCTD Coaster | Caltrain
International: ZVV S-Bahn | NS Intercity | SBB InterRegio | SBB InterCity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users