Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Capitol Limited-Pennsylvanian connection?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 Skyline

Skyline

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:23 AM

Nothing that special but it is unique, a must-stop for locals and visitors alike in the same way that Geno's Cheesesteaks in Philly is. (Ducking...)

WHOAAAAAAAA THERE!!! :lol: Philly natives don't even think of going anywhere near Pat's and Geno's it's a legitimate tourist trap. Crappy and overpriced Cheesesteaks. I'm an Uber driver and anytime someone says They're going to Pat's and Geno's I do my best to persuade them of getting a much better cheesesteak at Jim's or Campo's. Matter of fact I had two people from Detroit today in my car and told them to go to Jim's and they listened. :lol: You wanna know a good Cheesesteak place ask this Philly native. :D

I don't doubt Uber drivers might steer pax to places other than Primanti Bros. in Pittsburgh as well. My point was it has the same kind of rep as Geno's (call it a tourist trap if you want) and many visitors seek out Primanti Bros. just like they do Geno's. Locals aren't immune to the hype either, tho they may not make a habit of Primanti's. For some, once is enough. For others, they seem to be happy with it. 

Funny Primanti Bros. was mentioned, since outta curiosity I tried that place when I did a Pittsburgh trip in late May. Sigh, I was disappointed(pretty sure it was because whatever cole slaw and certain other things they add to those sandwiches wasn't as good as I hoped it'd be), and doubt I'd go there on my next trip there. Maybe one day I'd give them another shot, but honestly there are other places in Pittsburgh I'd rather eat at that I didn't quite get to, whenever I get back there again.

One option you could do for a morning bite and just wanted to call in an order of food to go(assuming they'd allow you to do that here, and say you got a cabbie or Uber/Lyft driver who'd allow you to do that), would be to go to DeLuca's Diner in the Strip District. It opens at 6:30am, though of course you'd have to get back to that station before the 7:30am departure. I debated going to DeLuca's, and honestly looking back I probably should've stuck with my original gameplan to do that. But ah well, since I did later on fit a brief walk into the Strip District on my 2nd and last day in Pittsburgh, due to the fact my westbound Cap. Limited ran 21/2 hours late! :) Phone number btw for DeLuca's, is (412)566-2195.

Agree. Deluca's serves a good breakfast. Better than Primanti's and roughly the same distance from Amtrak. Like Primanti's, a tight connection in the AM, tho, and the Pennsylvanian usually leaves on time. I should think it a safer bet to call in a takeout order with plans to eat it on board.

Not sure how you'd eat at Deluca's in a westbound scenario, however. They are basically a breakfast/lunch place -- and close mid-afternoons until the next morning. Plenty of other options downtown for westbound connectors tho, and of course Primanti's (original 18th Street location only) is open 24 hours.

#22 iplaybass

iplaybass

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Music, travel, and cooking.

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:12 PM

Nothing that special but it is unique, a must-stop for locals and visitors alike in the same way that Geno's Cheesesteaks in Philly is. (Ducking...)

WHOAAAAAAAA THERE!!! Philly natives don't even think of going anywhere near Pat's and Geno's it's a legitimate tourist trap. Crappy and overpriced Cheesesteaks. I'm an Uber driver and anytime someone says They're going to Pat's and Geno's I do my best to persuade them of getting a much better cheesesteak at Jim's or Campo's. Matter of fact I had two people from Detroit today in my car and told them to go to Jim's and they listened. You wanna know a good Cheesesteak place ask this Philly native. :D 
Explorer's Den. This Philly expat has been going there since... 1967. Once hauled 26 frozen cheesesteaks back to STL by request. Oh, and I've never been Geno's or Pat's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users