Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Best Amtrak timetable cover

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Twin Star Rocket

Twin Star Rocket

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:Rail travel, ship travel, history, science, languages, old TV shows and commercials (pre-1970), American folk songs, and classic movies.

Posted 01 July 2018 - 08:23 PM

Right now I'll go with the early 1970's multi-color timetable cover with the Union Pacific streamliner and Daylight locomotive until I think of a better one.

I have traveled by train since 1956 in the USA (including Alaska), Canada (including the Yukon), Mexico, Western Europe, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, and Zimbabwe.
My last pre-Amtrak trip was the Texas Chief from Ft. Worth to Chicago and the Capitol Limited from Chicago (Northwestern station) to Washington D.C.
I rode my first Amtrak train in April 1972. I have ridden nearly all the long-distance routes including the Texas Chief (Lone Star), Inter-American, Panama Limited, National Limited, Pioneer, Desert Wind, Spirit of California, Sunset Limited (Florida extension), Broadway Limited, and Chief. I also rode the Rio Grande Zephyr, Southern Crescent, Peoria Rocket, Georgia RR mixed train, and Soo Line mixed train in the post-Amtrak era.

#2 trainman74

trainman74

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 04:38 PM

So people can easily see what you're talking about...

4LpSzZt.jpg

Edited by trainman74, 03 July 2018 - 04:38 PM.

• cirdan and Pere Flyer like this

#3 Twin Star Rocket

Twin Star Rocket

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:Rail travel, ship travel, history, science, languages, old TV shows and commercials (pre-1970), American folk songs, and classic movies.

Posted 03 July 2018 - 06:34 PM

Thanks!  That's the one.

I goofed though saying it had a Daylight steam locomotive on the cover.

That was on another timetable of about the same vintage, but not as colorful.

I have traveled by train since 1956 in the USA (including Alaska), Canada (including the Yukon), Mexico, Western Europe, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, and Zimbabwe.
My last pre-Amtrak trip was the Texas Chief from Ft. Worth to Chicago and the Capitol Limited from Chicago (Northwestern station) to Washington D.C.
I rode my first Amtrak train in April 1972. I have ridden nearly all the long-distance routes including the Texas Chief (Lone Star), Inter-American, Panama Limited, National Limited, Pioneer, Desert Wind, Spirit of California, Sunset Limited (Florida extension), Broadway Limited, and Chief. I also rode the Rio Grande Zephyr, Southern Crescent, Peoria Rocket, Georgia RR mixed train, and Soo Line mixed train in the post-Amtrak era.

#4 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,672 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 15 August 2018 - 01:16 PM

So people can easily see what you're talking about...

4LpSzZt.jpg

Ah, the days when Amtrak not only had paper timetables, but also actually bothered to make them visually appealing.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#5 trainman74

trainman74

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 04:32 PM

Ah, the days when Amtrak not only had paper timetables, but also actually bothered to make them visually appealing.

I'd argue that the printed system timetables were visually appealing to the end.

bfqQp1k.jpg

Their nadir was probably the standard design that was used in the early 1990s.

Ny37VoS.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users