Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Historical Pullman District

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Twin Star Rocket

Twin Star Rocket

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Interests:Rail travel, ship travel, history, science, languages, old TV shows and commercials (pre-1970), American folk songs, and classic movies.

Posted 01 July 2018 - 08:05 PM

How safe is it to ride a Metra train from downtown Chicago to the 111th St. or 115th St. stations?

Any safety concerns walking to the District from those stations or riding the trains themselves?

Have traveled by train since 1956 in the USA (including Alaska), Canada (including the Yukon), Mexico, Western Europe, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, and Zimbabwe.

Rode my first Amtrak train in April 1972. Have ridden nearly all the long-distance routes including the Texas Chief (Lone Star), Inter-American, Panama Limited, National Limited, Pioneer, Desert Wind, Spirit of California, Sunset Limited (Florida extension), Broadway Limited, and Chief. Also rode the Rio Grande Zephyr, Southern Crescent, Peoria Rocket, Georgia RR mixed train, and Soo Line mixed train in the post-Amtrak era.

#2 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,425 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, trivia, genealogy

Posted 01 July 2018 - 08:51 PM

I've been to Pullman several times and never felt unsafe. I was with friends each time, but I would definitely do the trip solo. Just be aware of your surroundings, as always.

Pullman is a rather sleepy neighborhood and is on the outskirts of the city. It doesn't feel quite as urban/dense as the neighborhoods closer to the city. In fact, I remember telling Jeb and NorthShore that I felt like we were on a movie set because it was so quiet and still.

If you can catch a tour, do so. The little visitors center is definitely worth a stop, as they show a movie about the history of Pullman and have many interesting things on display. You can even get a "Pullman Historic District" stamp if you collect National Park/Monument stamps.

Amtrak Miles: 48,312

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#3 NorthShore

NorthShore

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 02:57 AM

West Pullman (a couple miles from the historic district) has some serious issues. The historic district, itself, and Metra are fine.
  • cirdan likes this

#4 Metra Electric Rider

Metra Electric Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 01:21 PM

As a daily rider I can assure you that Metra Electric is quite safe. Having conductors keeps a lid on any untoward behavior (for the most part). The worst I've seen is fare dodgers arguing with conductors (female conductors especially) and homeless taking up residence in the station warming shelters.

Pullman is immediately adjacent to the station, so once you are off the train, you are there. Roseland, to the west of the tracks (and to a lesser degree, North Pullman [north of the old plan]) aren't as nice.

The neighborhood is definitely "stage set" and, in fact, was the location for a movie set in East Germany. Make sure you check out the Market Building - one of the more unique urban spaces in Chicago (and possibly, the Midwest/country).

SJ - Norra Stambanan, Nordvästra stambanan, Södra stambanan, Dalabanan

NSB- Bergensbanen, Kongsvingerbanen, Rørosbanen, Dovrebanen, Flåmsbana, Roa–Hønefossbanen

Amtrak - Floridian, San Francisco Zephyr, Southwest Limited, Illini, State House

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users