Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Silver Rapids and Silver Solarium on California Zephyr

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Agent

Agent

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:54 AM

Yesterday evening, I caught Amtrak #5(28) at Agency, Iowa with the private cars Silver Rapids and Silver Solarium, both from the original California Zephyr, riding on the end.  There was a friendly engineer as well.

• railiner, Maglev and cpotisch like this

#2 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 29 June 2018 - 09:27 AM

The Silver Solarium (and Silver Lariat) are slated to be displayed at LA Union Station's Summer Train Festival on Saturday, July 14. 

• cpotisch likes this

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

5540 miles booked for this fall on the Sunset Limited, City of New Orleans, Illini/Saluki, Southwest Chief.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/

#3 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,530 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 30 June 2018 - 12:21 PM

Yesterday evening, I caught Amtrak #5(28) at Agency, Iowa with the private cars Silver Rapids and Silver Solarium, both from the original California Zephyr, riding on the end.  There was a friendly engineer as well.

Thanks for capturing and posting.  Silver Rapids, originally a Budd built, Pullman 10-6 sleeper, was the only California Zephyr liveried cars, not owned by one of the three CZ operating railroads, (CB&Q, D&RGW, and WP), but rather, by the PRR, as its contribution to the coast-to-coast thru sleeper pool.  

And it was brilliantly named, as all CZ cars had a "Silver" prefix, and most PRR 10-6 sleepers had a "Rapids" suffix... :cool:

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#4 Agent

Agent

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 08:26 AM

These two came through Agency yesterday heading east on #6(02).  The Zephyr was routed through here on the left track to pass a BNSF coal train.

#5 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,530 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 12:23 PM

Great video, thanks for posting it!

That's an experience that I doubt those riding in a similar "Park" dome obs on the Canadian will enjoy--passing a freight train... :(

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#6 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 05 July 2018 - 12:31 PM

If you want a sister car to the Silver Solarium you can buy it for 25k. Here is the list of lacks.
-hvac
-heat
-glass
-wiring
-everything. But the shell is priced decent.

Or if you want to buy the solarium, Rapids, peak, and Larriat you can for 1.3 mil. You must buy all four cars
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#7 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,530 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 01:55 PM

I imagine Mr. Anderson might have something to do with PV's going on the block.... :(

• Seaboard92 likes this
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#8 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 05 July 2018 - 01:58 PM

I imagine Mr. Anderson might have something to do with PV's going on the block.... :(

It's a buyers market right now. Hence I'm buying. Who knows when I'll have this chance again.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users