Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

NOL-CHI-NOL; June 26-28, 2018

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 NativeSon5859

NativeSon5859

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 08:21 PM

I just completed a round trip on the CONO. Managed to get a three day weekend and decided I needed a mini “traincation”.

On 58 northbound I was in coach (sleepers were full) and it was very busy out of NOL. Ended up with a seat mate the entire way. Spent a lot of time in the SL. Departed on time at 1:45p and arrived about an hour late at 10:15am. Just ate food I brought with me, though I grabbed a drink in the lounge along the way.

Spent a fun day in Chicago riding water taxis, METRA trains, visiting the Boeing store, and eating pizza.

Had a Roomette going home, so I got back to the Metropolitan Lounge around 6:00pm and relaxed for an hour or so before boarding shortly after 7.

Dinner served in the station. Had a warm muffuletta sandwich, and it was pretty tasty, the portion was just right since I was still full from the pizza earlier. Again, a very full train the entire way. I had room #2 and everything was clean and in working order. Departed on time at 8:05pm, and arrived at 5:30pm. Due to track work the train doesn’t depart Jackson until 1:20pm on weekdays through July. Breakfast and lunch were ok. Nothing special, but good enough. SA was awesome. Kevin was his name. A real asset to Amtrak.

Overall, a nice trip.

Attached File  IMG_3898.jpg   1.66MB   10 downloadsAttached File  IMG_3910.jpg   1.81MB   10 downloadsAttached File  IMG_3915.jpg   1.51MB   10 downloadsAttached File  IMG_3956.jpg   1.53MB   8 downloadsAttached File  IMG_3963.jpg   1.76MB   8 downloadsAttached File  IMG_3965.jpg   1.25MB   8 downloadsAttached File  IMG_3968.jpg   1.59MB   10 downloadsAttached File  IMG_3971.jpg   2.27MB   8 downloadsAttached File  IMG_3972.jpg   1.51MB   9 downloadsAttached File  IMG_3977.jpg   1.31MB   9 downloadsAttached File  IMG_3986.jpg   1.67MB   9 downloads
  • railiner, Misty., Tony in Ann Arbor and 1 other like this
U.S: Acela Express, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Cardinal, Cascades, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Lake Shore Limited, Northeast Regional, Pacific Surfliner, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Three Rivers, Twilight Shoreliner, Vermonter

Europe: Cisalpino, EuroCity, Eurostar Italia, ICE, TGV, TGV Duplex, Thalys

#2 gaspeamtrak

gaspeamtrak

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Interests:Riding Amtrak!! Watching Amtrak...Riding Via Rail!! Riding British trains and European trains

Posted 29 June 2018 - 12:32 AM

Nice ! Very interesting and great pictures. Thank you for sharing!!! :):):)

• NativeSon5859 likes this

#3 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,115 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 29 June 2018 - 07:57 AM

Nice getaway and pics! It's a shame that the Chef is gone, and the heat and eat meals are just a shadow on those served on the descendant of the Panama Limited that ran between two Great American Cities!😣

Edited by Bob Dylan, 29 June 2018 - 07:58 AM.

• NativeSon5859 likes this
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#4 NativeSon5859

NativeSon5859

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:22 AM

I was talking to the SA and he said they haven’t heard anything about the cold meal boxes coming to the CONO. The overall dining car service is a shell of its former self - IMO about on par with the Cardinal - but the employee working the diner was friendly and he really hustled.

They are trying, they just don’t have much to work with.
  • cpotisch likes this
U.S: Acela Express, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Cardinal, Cascades, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Lake Shore Limited, Northeast Regional, Pacific Surfliner, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Three Rivers, Twilight Shoreliner, Vermonter

Europe: Cisalpino, EuroCity, Eurostar Italia, ICE, TGV, TGV Duplex, Thalys

#5 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 29 June 2018 - 09:56 AM

Thanks for the look into your trip. Looks like it went well.

We will be taking #58 in October NOL>CHI. Looking forward to adding another route completed to our map!

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

5540 miles booked for this fall on the Sunset Limited, City of New Orleans, Illini/Saluki, Southwest Chief.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/

#6 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 29 June 2018 - 11:54 AM

Thank you for posting! Very glad to hear that it seems like the CONO won't be getting Fresh Choice-ified anytime soon.
  • dogbert617 likes this
Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#7 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 11:59 AM

Very nice--thank you! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users