Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Moonlight Dome to Roanoke

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Twin Star Rocket

Twin Star Rocket

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:Rail travel, ship travel, history, science, languages, old TV shows and commercials (pre-1970), American folk songs, and classic movies.

Posted 24 June 2018 - 03:08 PM

To celebrate my birthday and upcoming retirement,   I booked the May 10th trip of the Amtrak Northeast Regional train to Roanoke with private car Moonlight Dome (ex-B&O) on the rear.  Culinary highlight of the trip was a 4- or 5-course meal (I lost count!) and a port tasting session after supper. 

Needless to say, the scenery was commendable, especially as we approached the Blue Ridge.  We had a mix of rain, misty clouds, and clearing night skies to complement the train ride.

Since rooms were booked and expensive in Roanoke with college graduations happening,  I stayed just one night and returned on the Moonlight Dome the following morning with breakfast aboard.  Patches of cloud shrouded the landscape so much so that as we exited a tunnel and trestle after leaving Lynchburg, it seemed we were riding on the clouds !  Neat.

• Railroad Bill, Mystic River Dragon and daybeers like this

I have traveled by train since 1956 in the USA (including Alaska), Canada (including the Yukon), Mexico, Western Europe, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, and Zimbabwe.
My last pre-Amtrak trip was the Texas Chief from Ft. Worth to Chicago and the Capitol Limited from Chicago (Northwestern station) to Washington D.C.
I rode my first Amtrak train in April 1972. I have ridden nearly all the long-distance routes including the Texas Chief (Lone Star), Inter-American, Panama Limited, National Limited, Pioneer, Desert Wind, Spirit of California, Sunset Limited (Florida extension), Broadway Limited, and Chief. I also rode the Rio Grande Zephyr, Southern Crescent, Peoria Rocket, Georgia RR mixed train, and Soo Line mixed train in the post-Amtrak era.

#2 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,735 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 24 June 2018 - 06:11 PM

Wow, sounds like a wonderful trip (jealous)! Happy birthday and congrats on your retirement!

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#3 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,354 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:57 PM

How did you find the crew? I used to work with VMT and I'm curious at their level of service if it's gone up since 2017.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#4 Twin Star Rocket

Twin Star Rocket

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:Rail travel, ship travel, history, science, languages, old TV shows and commercials (pre-1970), American folk songs, and classic movies.

Posted 24 June 2018 - 11:49 PM

Seaboard92:  Moonlight Dome crew of 4 was very service minded.  I'd ride again. One passenger on board was a VMT board member from the D.C. area.

• Seaboard92 and dogbert617 like this

I have traveled by train since 1956 in the USA (including Alaska), Canada (including the Yukon), Mexico, Western Europe, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, and Zimbabwe.
My last pre-Amtrak trip was the Texas Chief from Ft. Worth to Chicago and the Capitol Limited from Chicago (Northwestern station) to Washington D.C.
I rode my first Amtrak train in April 1972. I have ridden nearly all the long-distance routes including the Texas Chief (Lone Star), Inter-American, Panama Limited, National Limited, Pioneer, Desert Wind, Spirit of California, Sunset Limited (Florida extension), Broadway Limited, and Chief. I also rode the Rio Grande Zephyr, Southern Crescent, Peoria Rocket, Georgia RR mixed train, and Soo Line mixed train in the post-Amtrak era.

#5 dogbert617

dogbert617

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:58 AM

It's interesting to think Roanoke has Amtrak service now. Good to hear that a NE Regional Amtrak train to Lynchburg was expanded to there. Did this city ever briefly have Amtrak service for a short period of time, say back in the 1970s or 1980s?

Edited by dogbert617, 12 July 2018 - 02:59 AM.

#6 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,703 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:00 AM

It's interesting to think Roanoke has Amtrak service now. Good to hear that a NE Regional Amtrak train to Lynchburg was expanded to there. Did this city ever briefly have Amtrak service for a short period of time, say back in the 1970s or 1980s?

http://www.timetable...50515&item=0038

http://www.timetable...81029&item=0035

• dogbert617 likes this
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#7 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,735 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:18 AM

I'm pretty sure that they've been serving Roanoke for a while.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#8 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,474 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:32 AM

The current service started last Fall.
  • dogbert617 and cpotisch like this
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#9 Twin Star Rocket

Twin Star Rocket

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 09:45 PM

The current Amtrak service to Roanoke started in October 2017 as an extension of Northeast Regional service.

Prior to that, there was the Mountaineer that ran through Roanoke over N&W tracks.  That service started in 1975.

That train's route was truncated around 1977 and ran as the Hilltopper until 1979.

• dogbert617 likes this

#10 dogbert617

dogbert617

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 01:48 AM

The current Amtrak service to Roanoke started in October 2017 as an extension of Northeast Regional service.

Prior to that, there was the Mountaineer that ran through Roanoke over N&W tracks.  That service started in 1975.

That train's route was truncated around 1977 and ran as the Hilltopper until 1979.

I'll need to look up the Mountaineer, and also the Hilltopper to see which cities/towns those Amtrak trains used to serve. I would guess these 2 trains served places west of Roanoke, when they operated? And I see I was right, that the extension of the NE Regional service from Lynchburg to Roanoke is less than a year old.

#11 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,703 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 15 August 2018 - 12:42 PM

I'll need to look up the Mountaineer, and also the Hilltopper to see which cities/towns those Amtrak trains used to serve. I would guess these 2 trains served places west of Roanoke, when they operated?.

Just click on the two links I gave you in post no. 6, above.... ;)

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users