Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Elimination of diners on western Amtrak long distance trains?

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#1 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 24 June 2018 - 02:00 PM

Anyone hear of this (from other sources)?

Amtrak OBS employees have received new menus for November 2018. The elimination of chefs is said to be coming in fall 2018 for some western long distance trains including the Southwest Chief. The new Southwest Chief sleeping car passenger meal menus for November 2018 have cold sandwiches, akin to the June 2018 Lake Shore Limited and Capitol Limited no-chef cold food menus.

https://www.scivisio...c-service-cuts/

I don't know anything about the source...stumbled across it while searching for things related to the SWC. Not surprised, however.

Edited by pennyk, 24 June 2018 - 02:57 PM.
format quote

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

5540 miles booked for this fall on the Sunset Limited, City of New Orleans, Illini/Saluki, Southwest Chief.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/

#2 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,137 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 24 June 2018 - 02:12 PM

This is getting scarey, Propeller Head and his Airline Crew are running wild with their "New and Improved" schemes on Am Air!

Imagine, Box meals on the 2 and 3 night LD Western Trains and Bustitutions on the Chief Route!!!

Say it ain't so Joe!😥

Edited by Bob Dylan, 24 June 2018 - 02:13 PM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#3 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,824 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 24 June 2018 - 02:13 PM

Oh my god. This has been confirmed? I'm glad I took my first coast to coast train trip this year - it might well have been my last.  :(

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#4 tricia

tricia

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 02:20 PM

Oh my god. This has been confirmed? I'm glad I took my first coast to coast train trip this year - it might well have been my last.  :(

No, it hasn't been confirmed. OP is asking if anyone here CAN confirm it, from other sources.

• FrensicPic, crescent2, Chey and 1 other like this

#5 greatcats

greatcats

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 02:27 PM

A conductor related this to me last month west of Dodge City. I regarded it as rumor, but he seemed well informed.
I was a commuter railroad employee in NJ for many years until 2002, and have since been a tour guide at Grand Canyon National Park and Ketchikan, Alaska. Also, have been a National Park Volunteer at Hawaii Volcanoes and now Sunset Crater Volcano near my home. If not on Amtrak, also like long road trips, camping some of the time.

#6 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Interests:Computers, riding trains/travel, watching movies/sporting events, listening to music/speeches/talk radio, reading

Posted 24 June 2018 - 02:45 PM

Propeller Head and his Airline Crew are running wild with their "New and Improved" schemes on Am Air!

Am Air? That name does not stand out. I'm suggesting that Amway Air sounds like a better name. Oh wait, we used to have an Am Air, known as Pan American. Of course, Juan Trippe was way better than Anderson of Delta. Looks like the Kochs hired Anderson.

Trains taken (US): Coast Starlight, San Joaquins, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Hoosier State, California Zephyr, Sunset Limited, SP4449 excursion 2015
Current Amtrak mileage: 37099 miles

#7 ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • Interests:Math, old train schedules

Posted 24 June 2018 - 02:47 PM

Woooow. This is the end of Amtrak as we know it, if this happens. I hope this plan gets stopped somehow.

I hope this is just an unfounded rumor.

Edited by ParanoidAndroid, 24 June 2018 - 02:48 PM.

I have ridden Cascades #516 (SEA-STW), Coast Starlight #14 (LAX-SLO), Southwest Chief #4 (LAX-CHI), Cardinal #50 (CHI-NYP), Northeast Regional #85 (NYP-WAS), Capitol Limited #30 (HFY-WAS), Coast Starlight #14 (LAX-PDX), Coast Starlight #11 (SLO-LAX), and many Pacific Surfliners with Amtrak. I have observed, including the previous, California Zephyr #5 at SAC (lucky), what I guess to be Crescent #19 (at WAS) and Silver Meteor #97 (at WAS), Empire Builder #28 at PDX, and Sunset Limited #2/Texas Eagle #422 at LAX. I have also ridden the Hokutosei in Japan, Ueno - Sapporo (now discontinued).

#8 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,319 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 02:49 PM

Well, if the SWC is going to get broken up into train-bus-train segments, it might make sense to do this.  This doesn't mean it is planned for the other western LDs.

• Just-Thinking-51 and cpotisch like this

#9 zepherdude

zepherdude

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Interests:I love Amtrak, the old Illinois Central and RR nostalgia dayz. I would live on a train if I could. Down with airplanes! Up with Passenger Trains!

Posted 24 June 2018 - 03:02 PM

why book Amtrak at all, Just Go Greyhound

• Pere Flyer likes this
I have traveled, Acela, Maple Leaf, California Zephr, Capital Limited, Lake Shore Limited, Empire Builder, Coast Starlight, Amtrak California, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, City of Miami, The Seminole, Florida East Coast and the Panama Limited, Texan Dinner Train, Wabash Canon Ball, New York Subway, Metro North, LIRR, San Francisco Cable Cars, Market Streetcar, St. Louis Streetcars, Prague Trams, (Prazske Tramvaje), Moscow Subway, (Московский метрополитен,) Krakow Glowny, Krakow Plaszow

>>>>>>> Why let your trip fail, always ride the Amtrak Rail! <<<<<<

#10 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 24 June 2018 - 03:08 PM

Well, if the SWC is going to get broken up into train-bus-train segments, it might make sense to do this.  This doesn't mean it is planned for the other western LDs.

That did cross my mind.

• AmtrakBlue likes this

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

5540 miles booked for this fall on the Sunset Limited, City of New Orleans, Illini/Saluki, Southwest Chief.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

#11 greatcats

greatcats

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 03:17 PM

Disgust. I’m setting off on a 3+ week road trip to Montana and over the border into Montana. Amtrak not involved, except for perhaps viewing the Empire Builder around Glacier. Phooey. My own itinerary and schedule.
I was a commuter railroad employee in NJ for many years until 2002, and have since been a tour guide at Grand Canyon National Park and Ketchikan, Alaska. Also, have been a National Park Volunteer at Hawaii Volcanoes and now Sunset Crater Volcano near my home. If not on Amtrak, also like long road trips, camping some of the time.

#12 greatcats

greatcats

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 03:18 PM

Into Canada.

#13 Dakota 400

Dakota 400

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 03:36 PM

In the linked article, there was the mention of "reduced conductor staffing on LD trains".  How could this be possible?  Each train, LD or not, needs a Conductor.  Doesn't it?  My view is that this linked article contains "fake news".

#14 greatcats

greatcats

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 03:38 PM

There should be a conductor and assistant conductor. It might mean that crew districts are being rearranged.

#15 merkelman06

merkelman06

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 03:42 PM

Wonder if this would be why Amtrak is running its first ever sleeper sale that I can remember? They know the fallout that would happen and want to lock in as many reservations as possible before the announcement.
  • TC_NYC likes this

#16 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 04:17 PM

In the linked article, there was the mention of "reduced conductor staffing on LD trains".  How could this be possible?  Each train, LD or not, needs a Conductor.  Doesn't it?  My view is that this linked article contains "fake news".

Yep, gotta have a conductor! I'm thinking he used the wrong term...perhaps he meant service staff when he said "conductor".  

John...

#17 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,137 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 24 June 2018 - 04:21 PM

I'm not up on the Current requirements for Conductors on LD Trains, nor the agreement their Union has with AmwayAir( like that name,thanks bmjhagen9426), but if they can swing it, the Anderson Air Raiders will probably try to get by with 1 Conductor and 0 ACs on some LD Trains.

What's next, Self driving trains so they can eliminate the pricey Engineers??🤔😥

Edited by Bob Dylan, 24 June 2018 - 04:26 PM.

• weatherdude9 likes this
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#18 acelafan

acelafan

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 04:21 PM

I hate to panic over rumors, but that would really stink.  Me and hubby are supposed to take the SW Chief in February CHI>LAX.  A bus bridge and elimination of traditional dining service really makes the cost of the tickets we bought much less desirable.  RPA/NARP, I hope you can rescue us!

ASMAD - Has your train been running on time?

Amtrak Timetable Archives - PDFs since 2009

#19 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 04:39 PM

Mr. Hirsch states: "The new Southwest Chief sleeping car passenger meal menus for November 2018 have cold sandwiches, akin to the June 2018 Lake Shore Limited and Capitol Limited no-chef cold food menus." November 2018...just in time for holiday travel.

We shall see when the so-called November 2018. menus are put in place.

Hoping this would mean my CHI>LAX trip on #3 in October is safe! 

How does he know about new menus for November?

• Chey likes this

John...

#20 MikefromCrete

MikefromCrete

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 05:10 PM

Amtrak is under congressional mandate to eliminate food and beverage losses. Did you think the western trains would be exempt? Contact your congressmen and senators and raise holy hell. 

• Devil's Advocate and tommylicious like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users