Adding a Friend to Reservation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichelleB

Train Attendant
I have a bedroom booked from Sandusky to Chicago for two people in July. Another person would like to join us. I believe we will have enough room in the bedroom since two people are teenagers. Will this be an easy add when I call Amtrak?

It is my understanding that to book the open sleeper ticket requires giving your reservation number, and paying the additional lowest bucket rail (seat) fare.

You or your friend can book the open sleeper ticket

Which of you does that pays the rail fare charge.

So effectively the open sleeper ticket is linked to your reservation if not "added'' to your reservation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see that you have 2 persons already in the bedroom, I am not sure that you are allowed to add a third?

I have certainly traveled with myself and two teenagers in one bedroom, but I think we had to book the family bedroom.

( I may be wrong with my answer, I hope someone else can say 100% for sure...? )

Ed.

As was,said, you can add a third person by doing an Open Sleeper ticket, and unless it's changed, you must Call to do this, you can't do it on-line.

They will have to pay the Low Bucket Rail Fare but will be included in the Room with Meals( whatever they are by then???)

I see that you have 2 persons already in the bedroom, I am not sure that you are allowed to add a third?

I have certainly traveled with myself and two teenagers in one bedroom, but I think we had to book the family bedroom.

( I may be wrong with my answer, I hope someone else can say 100% for sure...? )

Ed.
It's allowed. I forget what the theoretical allowed capacity of a bedroom is, but three people is definitely within the limits.

Ed.
It's allowed. I forget what the theoretical allowed capacity of a bedroom is, but three people is definitely within the limits.
That's good to know, I was not sure, but kind of thought they only had two beds in the regular sleepers. I have traveled many miles in coach and roomettes, and one trip in the family room, but never tried a regular sleeper room.

Ed.

I just called and was told I could pay $140 for a ticket for her and her reservation could be linked with mine. I asked about her being in our bedroom and she said that would be no additional cost. Is this too good to be true?

Ed.
That's good to know, I was not sure, but kind of thought they only had two beds in the regular sleepers. I have traveled many miles in coach and roomettes, and one trip in the family room, but never tried a regular sleeper room.

Ed.
They do only have two beds. But they let more than two people occupy it.

I just called and was told I could pay $140 for a ticket for her and her reservation could be linked with mine. I asked about her being in our bedroom and she said that would be no additional cost. Is this too good to be true?
That sounds completely correct.

No. Not too good to be true.

The charge for the bedroom, or any other sleeper, does not depend on how many (3 max) are in the bedroom.

Look closely at your receipt for the original reservation - 2 rail fares, 1 bedroom charge.

Each person in a sleeper is charged a "rail (or seat) fare" which is the $140 you mention for the additional person.

Roomettes are for 1 or 2 people.

Bedrooms 1 to 3 people.

Bedroom Suite 1 to 4 people

H-rooms 1 to 2 people.

Family rooms are for 1 or 2 adults and 1 or 2 children.

Last edited by a moderator:
Roomettes are for 1 or 2 people.

Bedrooms 1 to 3 people.

Bedroom Suite up to 4 people

H-rooms are for up to 2 people.

Family rooms are for 2 adults and 2 children.
Wouldn't the Bedroom Suite be up to 6 people? Also, I'm pretty sure that you can put more than two adults and two children in the Family Bedroom, if you book by phone.

Back