Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Over Height Train Strikes Bridge

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,303 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 23 June 2018 - 11:57 AM

We see a lot of vehicles striking train bridges, but I can’t recall seeing a train strike a vehicle bridge. CSX managed to try and fit double stacks under some bridges that were woefully unsuitable.

http://www.times-new...12c4d9f336.html

Attached File  IMG_6093.jpg   477.32KB   17 downloads

Edited by Ryan, 23 June 2018 - 12:00 PM.

Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#2 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 23 June 2018 - 12:04 PM

Wow. That's bad but kind of awesome. Reminds me of the Can Opener bridge in North Carolina.

Here's a compilation of some of the vehicle "peelings" that have taken place over the years:

Edited by cpotisch, 23 June 2018 - 12:06 PM.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#3 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,220 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 23 June 2018 - 01:01 PM

Can't follow the link, but a pretty self explanatory picture!

"451: Unavailable due to legal reasons

We recognize you are attempting to access this website from a country belonging to the European Economic Area (EEA) including the EU which enforces the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and therefore access cannot be granted at this time "

Ed.

#4 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,303 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 23 June 2018 - 01:56 PM

Wow, that’s pretty lame. Small town paper.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#5 MikefromCrete

MikefromCrete

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 05:21 PM

On the UP line heading west out of Chicago, there is a bridge that has one track that has been lowered underneath it to accommodate double stacks and auto racks. The other tracks won't clear these cars. Every once in a while a dispatcher mistakenly routes a freight trains with high clearance cars on the wrong track with similar results. 

#6 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,105 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:08 PM

CSX "How Tomorrow Moves" because it sure isn't moving today.

Actually what happened was a switch move on the mountain sub. It did answer a question I had though. And that was would the mountain sub clear a dome car. Resounding no on that one. Oh well we don't need it.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#7 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:22 PM

Wow, that’s pretty lame. Small town paper.

Lots of quite large papers are doing the same, including (last I checked) the LA Times and many others.

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users