Board Member Nominee: Rick Dearborn

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrsjrcj

OBS Chief
https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/president-donald-j-trump-announces-intent-nominate-personnel-key-administration-posts-48/

Mr. Dearborn served as Deputy Chief of Staff for President Donald J. Trump from January 2017 to March 2018, and was the executive director of the Presidential transition team following President Trump’s election. Mr. Dearborn served as the Chief of Staff for Senator Jeff Sessions from 2005 to 2017, as the Assistant Secretary of Energy for Congressional Affairs from 2003 to 2005, and as the legislative director for then Senator Sessions beginning in 1997. Mr. Dearborn graduated from the University of Oklahoma in 1988. He and his wife, Gina, split their time between homes in Alexandria, Virginia and Birmingham, Alabama.
He also worked for the anti-Amtrak Heritage Foundation.

A Heritage Foundation guy on the Amtrak board is not good news.
Who are they going to pick next?

I hear John Mica is available....
default_ohmy.png

We do not need any more policy people at Amtrak we need railroaders in the key roles. Once we have railroaders in firm control things will run much smoother. Policy wonks have no real idea how railroading works. Plus they are much too proud to admit they don't know how things work.

As usual, you are all missing the bright side. Mr Dearborn and his wife split their time between Alexandria, Virginia and Birmingham, Alabama. Since I'm suuuuure that he'll want to use the service since he is on the board, this can only mean good things for Crescent.

Can you say full dining car?
default_happy.png

As usual, you are all missing the bright side. Mr Dearborn and his wife split their time between Alexandria, Virginia and Birmingham, Alabama. Since I'm suuuuure that he'll want to use the service since he is on the board, this can only mean good things for Crescent.

Can you say full dining car?
default_happy.png
Can you say second frequency? We can but hope.

Hmmmmmm I like the Heritage Foundation too.

I'm curious as to what their views on Amtrak really are................
default_smile.png
Such "think tanks" can be deceptive. They usually espouse far-fetched things that lack reality.

As regards to Heritage's views on Amtrak, they're one of the most venomous, anti-Amtrak haters ever.

Do a search and learn how much ignorance they espouse.

They not only hate Amtrak, they hate ALL passenger rail, and will fund opponents of light rail, commuter rail, etc., whenever they get a chance.

I've argued with those nutcases on the forums.

Apparently all Senate approval of nominated Amtrak Board members are now stuck as various Senators have placed holds on them pending resolution of Amtrak "issues", including PV, Charters, SWC, Food and future of the National Network. So there will be no change in the Board until such Holds are cleared.

Apparently all Senate approval of nominated Amtrak Board members are now stuck as various Senators have placed holds on them pending resolution of Amtrak "issues", including PV, Charters, SWC, Food and future of the National Network. So there will be no change in the Board until such Holds are cleared.
I actually suspect that is going to cause more harm to Amtrak than good. I wasn't aware they could put holds on board nominees since there's no "home state."

Individual Senators can delay almost anything under the Senate Rules, and Professional Courtesy,( which is eroding due to the rancor and paranoia in today's Political World).

If everyone even knew who their Senators and Reps were,( lots of Americans can't even name the President!)and Voted!,the System could be changed!

Would there be any advantage of us knowing who the Board Nominees are and the specific Senators who have placed a hold on their appointment? If one of our Home State Senators has placed such a hold, communicating with the Senator about our Amtrak concerns might help Amtrak. Or would it?

Would there be any advantage of us knowing who the Board Nominees are and the specific Senators who have placed a hold on their appointment? If one of our Home State Senators has placed such a hold, communicating with the Senator about our Amtrak concerns might help Amtrak. Or would it?Le
Letting your elected representatives know your thoughts is the basis of democracy.

Would there be any advantage of us knowing who the Board Nominees are and the specific Senators who have placed a hold on their appointment? If one of our Home State Senators has placed such a hold, communicating with the Senator about our Amtrak concerns might help Amtrak. Or would it?Le
Letting your elected representatives know your thoughts is the basis of democracy.

The Senators in the SWC states, KS, NM, etc put the holds on for obvious reasons.

MikefromCrete: Believe me. My two Senators, House of Representative member, and my Ohio State Senators and Member of the Ohio House hear from me frequently.

I appreciate knowing the Senators that have put a "hold" on this nominee. None from the Buckeye State, probably a waste of time to "pile on" on at this time.

Before we all jump to conclusions, Trains magazine has an article that says Mr. Dearborn is a "Train Freak". Some tidbits:

Dearborn mentioned his collection of O Scale models numbering 75 locomotives and some 300 pieces of rolling stock.

He expressed confidence that Amtrak would meet the Dec. 31 deadline for installing positive train control.

Dearborn told the committee that Amtrak needed to make long-distance trains an attractive travel alternative, but stopped short of endorsing government subsidies for the system.

“Amtrak trains should be on time, clean, competitive, and a good option for travelers,” Dearborn said. "Long distance service is a critical part of the national passenger rail system. I am committed to it.”

“I get the impression that Amtrak is being reduced, not built, because it's requiring taxpayer dollars,” U.S. Sen. Jon Tester, D-Mont., told Dearborn. “Do you think taxpayer dollars are necessary to keep Amtrak going?”

“I can't predict whether or not Amtrak could operate without financial assistance,” Dearborn said. “I would hope that if we focus on creating a good product, then revenues will rise and the dependency on federal dollars would be less.”

“If you had a choice between lowering operating losses and shutting down a long-distance line, what would you choose?” asked U.S. Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto, D-Nev.

“I hope I'm never faced with that decision,” Dearborn replied.

I must admit...this makes me less worried about Dearborn, but considering the fact that the national network is really what holds Amtrak together, I don’t like the fact that he can’t answer the question of lowering losses or cutting a line.

As Palmetto said, Answer the question please, Mr. Dearborn. People’s careers are riding on your answer.

Back