Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

SSL seating etiquette?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,703 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 22 June 2018 - 09:01 AM

One of the "last bastion's" of cell phone - free environments, was the underground portion of the New York City subway system.   Then they started placing towers in the station's, along with wifi.

So now, people are using their cell phones aboard the trains...they lose the signal for a few seconds, and then reconnect again at the next station.  Probably only a matter of time before they wire the tunnels, too.   I think it is a good thing, in general for communication's to exist, for public safety, if nothing else.

Even the new city buses have free wifi, and USB charging ports.   

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#22 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,735 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 22 June 2018 - 09:04 AM

One of the "last bastion's" of cell phone - free environments, was the underground portion of the New York City subway system.   Then they started placing towers in the station's, along with wifi.

So now, people are using their cell phones aboard the trains...they lose the signal for a few seconds, and then reconnect again at the next station.  Probably only a matter of time before they wire the tunnels, too.   I think it is a good thing, in general for communication's to exist, for public safety, if nothing else.

Even the new city buses have free wifi, and USB charging ports.   

I feel like people were using their cells and electronics on the subway well before they started sticking towers and wires underground. Could be wrong, but though underground service made things a lot easier, there didn't seem to be much of an uptick in the number of screens I see on the subway. Just my observation.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#23 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,451 posts
  • Interests:Writing, reading, baking, trivia, adventures, historic preservation

Posted 22 June 2018 - 09:10 AM

Chicago has service in the tunnels now.

I miss hearing, “We’re going underground. I’ll have to call you back.” ;) Now people just yell over the tunnel noise.

Snark aside, I am glad. It’s good for emergencies and when I have to text a friend to let them know the train is running late.

Edited by SarahZ, 22 June 2018 - 09:13 AM.

• cpotisch likes this
Amtrak Miles: 48,312

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#24 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,703 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 22 June 2018 - 09:19 AM

Before they put the towers in the stations, it was only in a very few spots, where for whatever reason, you could get a signal underground.   Occasionally a weak signal would pass thru the ventilation shafts, in places where the tunnel was shallow, or there was a nearby cell tower.   The old, analog bands worked better in those cases than the new digital ones, albeit with some noise in them.

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#25 spinnaker

spinnaker

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 09:36 AM

I know it is not legal under FCC rules but it would be nice if they could jam cell phone signals in the lounges, diners and seating areas of the coaches.  That would make for a much more enjoyable ride.

So now we're proposing only allowing the most expensive fares (the sleeper cars) to even have the option of using their cell phone for connectivity? We'll take away one of the major advantages (especially for younger generations) of taking Amtrak over driving a car or flying, making it difficult to impossible for people to communicate with the outside world if they need to coordinate a ride or just want to text a friend about the experience, just so that some people find the ride a bit more enjoyable?

Thank you! If you're spending multiple days in coach, on a train, wouldn't it be a tad cruel to be denied all internet and cell service for that entire ride? Does it actually make sense to say that because someone might be talking on their phone loudly, they should be deprived of virtually any entertainment or contact with the outside world? Give me a break.

I didn't use my cell phone once during the whole trip other than to use it as a watch.   What did people do before cell phones. 

For me the train ride is a way to disconnect from the rest of the world.  I don't want to know what is going on at home or work or anywhere else.  I will deal with it when I get home.

Happily many of these lines don't have cell phone service.

• Mystic River Dragon likes this

#26 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,474 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 22 June 2018 - 09:55 AM

Attached File  IMG_6089.jpg   97.08KB   22 downloads
  • Rail Freak, railiner, SarahZ and 9 others like this
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#27 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,451 posts
  • Interests:Writing, reading, baking, trivia, adventures, historic preservation

Posted 22 June 2018 - 10:00 AM

I didn't use my cell phone once during the whole trip other than to use it as a watch. What did people do before cell phones.

I would pack a Walkman, tapes, CDs, books, route guides, schedules, a camera, film, etc.

Now, thanks to the Devil’s Magical Box of Wonders, I don’t have to pack all that extra stuff.

Edited by SarahZ, 23 June 2018 - 02:16 AM.

• Ryan, jebr, daybeers and 1 other like this
Amtrak Miles: 48,312

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#28 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,046 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 11:21 AM

Funny picture but this seems to be a genuine concern among early development and behavioral health experts.  When I look at that image I wonder how many of those articles could fit in a brain which rarely has to parse more than 140 characters at a time. 

• tricia, Mystic River Dragon, daybeers and 1 other like this

#29 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 11:58 AM

When I rode the Hoosier State under Iowa Pacific, Ed Ellis himself was enjoying the dome car while workong on his laptop.

I frequently look at my phone while in the ssl. Many times its looking up maps or speed and elevation. Maybe it's looking up an article on the original railroad. Maybe I just need to check my email...

And yes I sit in the ssl for many hours at a time. I only take up one seat, and I've hardly ever seen the ssl completely full.

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

VIA: - Canadian*

Iowa Pacific - Hoosier State*, and City of New Orleans Pullman*.   

#30 frequentflyer

frequentflyer

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 02:12 PM

Odd, the times I have taken the Eagle, the SSL is usually only half full. Just thought all trains were like that. Though I can on a route such as the CZ west of Denver the car would be jam packed. Especially if your coach seat is facing the side of a mountain.

#31 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,354 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 22 June 2018 - 02:33 PM

The best time to use the bathroom even if you don't have to use it on the route is the Moffett tunnel. No one is allowed to transit between cars while Inside. So it's easy to go downstairs use the facilities and come back. And not worry about your seat.
  • FrensicPic and PaTrainFan like this
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#32 spinnaker

spinnaker

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 02:49 PM

The best time to use the bathroom even if you don't have to use it on the route is the Moffett tunnel. No one is allowed to transit between cars while Inside. So it's easy to go downstairs use the facilities and come back. And not worry about your seat.

Thanks for that tip.

Well that assuming there aren't vultures standing around to grab a seat. ;)

#33 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,735 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 22 June 2018 - 03:21 PM

Odd, the times I have taken the Eagle, the SSL is usually only half full. Just thought all trains were like that. Though I can on a route such as the CZ west of Denver the car would be jam packed. Especially if your coach seat is facing the side of a mountain.

On the less scenic routes, the SSL usually isn't particularly full. I feel like the Eagle fits that description.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#34 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,046 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 03:23 PM

Odd, the times I have taken the Eagle, the SSL is usually only half full. Just thought all trains were like that.

So you mean to tell me you've ridden all of one single Superliner LD route?

#35 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 03:33 PM

I've only seen the ssl completely full going through the Rockies on the zephyr and going through Glacier on the builder. And even then I've only seen it during busy travel times.

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

VIA: - Canadian*

Iowa Pacific - Hoosier State*, and City of New Orleans Pullman*.   

#36 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,450 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 22 June 2018 - 03:38 PM

Thanks for that tip.

Well that assuming there aren't vultures standing around to grab a seat. ;)
I would not count on using the restroom in the SSL. More often than not, it is locked. You would need to go to the coach in back - which you can not do while in the tunnel.
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#37 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,354 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 22 June 2018 - 03:38 PM

When I rode the zephyr the restroom was open the entire trip.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#38 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,450 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 22 June 2018 - 03:42 PM

I have never seen it open. (Wait - I think I did see it open once in 20 years.)
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#39 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,046 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 03:42 PM

I've seen the SSL full on many routes over many trips, especially on the CZ West of Denver, but I've mostly traveled Amtrak during summertime and holidays so maybe that's why.

#40 Dakota 400

Dakota 400

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 06:13 PM

During my 2017 trip on EB, the SSL's restroom was available.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users