Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

New Canadian Schedule Effective 6/26

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 08 August 2018 - 03:11 PM

At this rate in a year or two they will be taking full 7 days to make it from Toronto to Vancouver. :ph34r:

Hmmm....perhaps they will charge fares by the night, like a hotel, instead of by the mile.... :P

Considering what VIA charges for Sleeper Plus and especially Prestige, the nightly rate would be orders of magnitude higher than probably any hotel in the country.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#42 zephyr17

zephyr17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 05:13 PM

At this rate in a year or two they will be taking full 7 days to make it from Toronto to Vancouver. :ph34r:

Hmmm....perhaps they will charge fares by the night, like a hotel, instead of by the mile.... :P

Considering what VIA charges for Sleeper Plus and especially Prestige, the nightly rate would be orders of magnitude higher than probably any hotel in the country.

If you look for discounted fares, the special fares (formerly Tuesday specials but now available for Sleeper Plus all the time) between selected points roughly 4-8 weeks before departure, and shoulder and off-season rates and the exchange rate, you can make it for not a lot more than Amtrak.

My next trip will be just under $1400 USD in an off season fare in November for a roomette Vancouver-Toronto.  It isn't a discounted fare either, some tour operator scooped up too much capacity and there is no inventory in discount left.  If I was able to get the discount fare, it would have been closer to $1200 USD.

Those prices are in the same rough ballpark as Amtrak is for 4 nights in a roomette.  Just don't go in the summer.  The train is better ride in the off season anyway, when it isn't 26 cars long and mobbed.

Prestige is a whole different matter.  Personally I won't pay like $5000 extra for free booze and hors d'oeuvres (actually more for me since I travel by myself and the Prestige fares are only double occupancy, so it would be more like $11,000 extra).  That's an awful lot of booze in 4 days to make up $11,000.

Edited by zephyr17, 08 August 2018 - 05:20 PM.

Pre Amtrak: SP Coast Daylight, AT&SF San Diegan, AT&SF Super Chief, D&RGW Rio Grande Zephyr; Amtrak: Southwest Limited/Chief, San Diegan/Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Cascades, California/San Francisco Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited (LA-ORL), Desert Wind, Pioneer, City of New Orleans, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited (NY Section), Cardinal, Hoosier State (Amtrak),  Hoosier State (Iowa Pacific), Ann Rutledge, Adirondack, Maple Leaf, NE Regional, Capitol Limited, Crescent, Acela Express, Lake Shore Limited (Boston Section)
Via Rail Canada: Via Canadian (CP route), Via Super Continental, Via Atlantic Limited, Via Hudson Bay, Via Skeena, Via Canadian (CN route), Via "Corridor" (Toronto-Montreal); 
Other: BC Rail Cariboo Dayliner, Alaska Railroad, Eurostar, Thalys, DB, Netherlands Rail, Austrian Railways, BR, Korail (conventional), Korail KTX

#43 Trogdor

Trogdor

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 01:21 PM

Starting with next summer's schedule, VIA will significantly change the Canadian's operation.

The full route will only be served twice weekly (i.e. same as winter), but the third frequency will run Vancouver-Edmonton only.

They are also significantly changing the scheduled times at stations along the route.

Details here:  http://trn.trains.co...-summer-of-2019

Posted Image

#44 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,716 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 04 October 2018 - 01:58 PM

So the Canadian has now been converted almost wholly to a tourist operation with ever diminishing core transportation purpose.

• railiner and jebr like this

#45 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,595 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 04 October 2018 - 02:21 PM

So the Canadian has now been converted almost wholly to a tourist operation with ever diminishing core transportation purpose.

Yep, looks like the Trudeau Government isn't a supporter of VIA. I'm Shocked!Shocked!😣

Ride it while you can!😉
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#46 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,671 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 04 October 2018 - 03:32 PM

That, and Greyhound Canada abandoning all its routes west of Ontario on October 31st, will mean for many....fly or drive.   (A hodgepodge of local bus carrier's have applied to replace them on the most lucrative routes).

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#47 jebr

jebr

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 03:43 PM

The Winnipeg westbound departure is at 3:45 AM.

...doesn't look like I'll be riding the Canadian again anytime soon. That's just sad that they're relegating the timetable that much to sightseeing instead of trying to have some semblance of basic transportation.

• cpotisch likes this

#48 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 04 October 2018 - 04:45 PM

The Winnipeg westbound departure is at 3:45 AM.

...doesn't look like I'll be riding the Canadian again anytime soon. That's just sad that they're relegating the timetable that much to sightseeing instead of trying to have some semblance of basic transportation.

What time did it depart Winnipeg before?

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#49 greatwestern

greatwestern

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 09:51 AM

Current scheduled departure from Winnipeg 10:00am (previously 11:45am).

I have just received new boarding pass from Via for a Sunday 2pm departure from Toronto next June (was originally booked on a Saturday 10pm departure). Now getting into Vancouver 1 day later than planned and I have to arrange an extra night's hotel in Toronto after my already booked flight in from the UK and cancel 1 night of my Vancouver hotel booking.

I thought I had covered all the bases by giving myself more "dwell" time in Vancouver next year following my somewhat troublesome holiday on Via and Amtrak this year (see my July 2018 comments against the thread I started in January this year headed “Very late running of Via’s Canadian”).

I didn’t see this sort of change coming (and presumably the Via rep whom I emailed prior to making my online booking had no inkling of this change).

• cpotisch likes this

#50 ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Interests:Math, old train schedules

Posted 06 October 2018 - 12:50 AM

Take a look! The westbound 1 has been many hours late the past week or so! The new schedule doesn't seem to be helping on some runs that much.

https://reservia.via...Date=2018-10-05

https://reservia.via...Date=2018-10-02

https://reservia.via...Date=2018-09-30

1. Originating Toronto on Oct 2 is currently 13.5 hours late in Alberta. As far I see, this is the latest of the trains in the past week.

2. Originating Toronto on Sept 29 arrived Vancouver 8:45 late, even with all the padding

3. Originating Toronto on Sept 27 arrived Vancouver 4.5 hours late. Delays mostly occurred in Alberta.

This seems to be just starting recently, but I fear another cycle of "Oh, let's lengthen the schedule again" after having done that a few times already by significant amounts. Combined that with the horribler schedule coming up, this just might be the last straw for the Canadian. Or at least among the last few straws. As long distance trains are in the Americas.

I've ridden on Amtrak on the Cascades #516 (SEA-STW), Coast Starlight #14 (LAX-SLO, LAX-PDX, KFS-SEA), Southwest Chief #4 (LAX-CHI), Cardinal #50 (CHI-NYP), Northeast Regional #85 (NYP-WAS), Capitol Limited #30 (HFY-WAS), Cascades #501 (SEA-PDX), Coast Starlight #11 (SLO-LAX, PDX-KFS), and many Pacific Surfliners with Amtrak. I've seen in stations, including the previous, the California Zephyr #5 at SAC (lucky), what I guess to be Crescent #19 (at WAS) and Silver Meteor #97 (at WAS), Empire Builder #28 at PDX, Sunset Limited #2/Texas Eagle #422 at LAX, and Empire Builder #27 at PDX. I have also ridden the Hokutosei in Japan, Ueno - Sapporo (now discontinued).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users