Sold Out Coach (#58 of 7/8)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor
What are the chances availability opens up in the next few days for this train? Sleeper rooms are still available, but they are too expensive for me to afford. I will be travelling from Atlanta to Chicago, but I have already travelled the route via Washington on multiple occasions so was hoping to go via New Orleans. I want to book the other segments of the trip to get a lower price, but I am concerned that if I book Atlanta to New Orleans by time I realize that no availability is opening up on the CONO the route via Washington may be sold out as well.

Some interesting articles in July trains. They specifically talked about Amtrak not adding enough coach cars to LD trains. Their example was of the first 13 days in May they looked at coach was sold out on the SW Chief 10 of those 13 days leaving Chicago west bound.

I know for a fact they are overbooking the coaches too. My last two SWC trips coach passengers were seated in lounge and even the diner due to no seats.

My SWC trip in March (eastbound ABQ - CHI) was sold out, but only from Kansas City or maybe Galesburg. But the first part of the trip was pretty empty, make that very empty, a full coach totally empty.

My point is that you may be able to find the point on the trip from where the train is full, book a sleeper for that portion onward, and book coach for the non-sold out portion.

m--

Some interesting articles in July trains. They specifically talked about Amtrak not adding enough coach cars to LD trains. Their example was of the first 13 days in May they looked at coach was sold out on the SW Chief 10 of those 13 days leaving Chicago west bound.

I know for a fact they are overbooking the coaches too. My last two SWC trips coach passengers were seated in lounge and even the diner due to no seats.
Yet another reason why the Midwest cars are urgently needed.

Lesson learned. Book early.
default_wink.png

Lesson learned. Book early.
default_wink.png
I usually do, but that was impossible on this trip. My sister in Atlanta had a baby so I had to wait to find a good time to visit. Also, I have a college orientation in Chicago which I planned to attend in August after I move there, but I just found out it is entirely booked up so I will have to attend the July session before I move. I guess that is another lesson to book early, although I had no choice there either as I couldn't sign up until I was able to give the college the address I will be living at in Chicago.
As to getting a room for part of the way, it looks as though coach is available from Jackson north. After researching it, there appears to be a large event in New Orleans which is likely causing the sold out train. The fare with a sleeper to Jackson and coach to Chicago is still almost $250, which is lower than expected but I still don't think I can afford it. If nothing opens up I'm leaning towards either going via Charlottesville or leaving a day early from Atlanta.

They don't have extra coaches available. Hard to believe. But if they do, and were they to add one or two, would that require another attendant? Just musing as to why Amtrak cannot muster equipment in a hub to meet an obvious demand.

Back