Question: What does "we have a runner" mean?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAMISSY55

Service Attendant
This evening while checking in at the Metropolitan Lounge (in LAUS) to wait for the Sunset Limited's departure, I heard over the Amtrak Lounge attendant's radio, "we have a runner on #4."

Also, the #4 Southwest Chief was running a little bit late on departure. I'm not sure if that information has any bearing, but thought I would mention it.

Anybody know what that means? Thanks!

The term is used when someone is late and running for the train. In actuality, the person may not actually be running. It is just a term that is used to let the crew know that someone is heading for the train.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holding a train for a late arriving "runner"? I could just imagine the reaction that announcement at Penn Station - New York would result in....
default_mosking.gif
default_laugh.png
default_biggrin.png

Cruise Ships have the same term, and it can be quite fun to watch for the runners as the ship departs a port...

Ah! That makes sense. Thanks. Good thing #4 was about 15 minutes late or the runner would have have been running in vain.

The train actually backed over late. Perhaps that is why they had a runner. Sometimes there is a first call and a final call right after that. Hearing there is a runner often puts the crew in a precarious position, particularly in stations that don't have station masters or their staff officially releasing the train for departure.

Holding a train for a late arriving "runner"? I could just imagine the reaction that announcement at Penn Station - New York would result in....
default_mosking.gif
default_laugh.png
default_biggrin.png
Not just New York.

Back in 2007 I was on a VERY late Capitol Ltd. That didn't get into Washington until after 10 PM. They held 66 for me (I was going to Baltimore.) You should have seen the stink-eyes I got when I boarded 66.

I don't know whether the term is used in aviation, but once summer I arrived at the airport an hour and a half before the flight, and after the long baggage check and security lines, I ran to my gate (which wasn't too far from the security checkpoint) to see the plane pushing back. Funny thing was, my bag made the flight, even if I didn't. The next flight they could book me on was 4 hours later, and I think that was delayed a bit, too. And it was a business trip, too. Fortunately, I was coming in the day before, so I wasn't late for anything.

A few years ago departing Eugene on #14 I heard that over my scanner. It was actually, "we have a runner on the platform". Someone was literally running for the train! The didn't heed the admonition by the conductor to not wander off and stay near the train. Our SCA and I got a laugh out of that. An announcement followed that if that happens, run for the NEAREST door, not necessarily your door!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know whether the term is used in aviation, but once summer I arrived at the airport an hour and a half before the flight, and after the long baggage check and security lines, I ran to my gate (which wasn't too far from the security checkpoint) to see the plane pushing back. Funny thing was, my bag made the flight, even if I didn't. The next flight they could book me on was 4 hours later, and I think that was delayed a bit, too. And it was a business trip, too. Fortunately, I was coming in the day before, so I wasn't late for anything.

default_mosking.gif
default_laugh.png
default_biggrin.png
Not just New York.

Back in 2007 I was on a VERY late Capitol Ltd. That didn't get into Washington until after 10 PM. They held 66 for me (I was going to Baltimore.) You should have seen the stink-eyes I got when I boarded 66.
At least they held it for you...in New York they would have told you "fahgeddaboudit"
default_tongue.png

In 2000 or '01, I was running to catch the eastbound Pennsylvanian at Cleveland, and saw it start to pull away from the station. The crew spotted me running, and they stopped the train after 100 yards to wait for me! It was pretty embarrassing to delay an entire train, but better than waiting a full day for the next train 44.

Cruise Ships have the same term, and it can be quite fun to watch for the runners as the ship departs a port...
On one of our cruises, we ended up leaving one of our port-of-calls over an hour late, as they waited for a family to return. They kept announcing the family's name over the PA system (just in case there was a check-in error, and the family was actually on-board). You could see a couple of crew members at the far, street, end of the dock, looking up and down the street for any sign of the missing family (running for the dock?).

The captain finally gave up, and we set sail. Though, obviously, the captain doesn't like leaving anyone behind.

I have actually left people behind before. I've had an excursion leaving and I released the train for movement to NS had the traps closed and we shoved back. As we were passing by the station again forwards at thirty miles an hour on the running track. There comes stragglers running down the platform. But there was nothing I could do. We had a schedule to keep and even if we didn't I wouldn't have had the authority to stop the train and walk them over two main tracks to our third track.

That first version was a great flick. They nailed what Penn Central trains and personnel were like in that era...
default_tongue.png

Funny thing about the cruise ship input is that it is absolutely correct. My wife and I have been on a few cruises now and I swear, some of the entertainment value of watching late arrivals back to the ship from a shore excursion are worthy of Las Vegas style odds.....'will he (or she, or THEY) make it back in time? Ladies and gentlemen, place your bets!)

Cruel on my part? Perhaps. Then again, if you venture off ship on a non-sanctioned (unapproved by the cruise line) shore excursion, you have to be amenable to facing the reality check that your transportation provider is under no obligation to have you back at the pier at a given time. It is definitely a gamble. Do you pay a higher price for a ship sanctioned shore excursion? Of course.....BUT.....you are guaranteed that the ship will not disembark from that pier until the shore excursion provider has returned you to the pier and entry back onto the ship. The instances I have observed of people being left behind has cemented my belief in taking the safe road where off-ship roaming is offered to the passengers.

Back