Capitol Limited delays

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of very bad storms, with erosion damage, trees down, a bridge washout, and lots of work crews out and about. I had the tree down and the work crews Eastbound on 30 (10). Lots of water still coming down the hillsides, and based on how fast streams and rivers were still moving (as well as the muddiness) you can tell how bad it has been.

My girlfriend is taking 30 home to South Bend and they've delayed boarding in Chicago, currently showing an hour late departure.

Anyone know why?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think something else is going on - like an equipment swap. She's gotten on the train and currently sitting backwards facing someone, not a normal legroom seat. That doesn't sound like a long distance Superliner. Amtrak.com has also stopped showing updates for the train.

Should have just driven to Chicago to pick her up (she's exhausted on her way back from Eroupe, flew into O'Hare today), or had her take the South Shore Line, Amtrak until this delay seemed like the fastest way to get her home.

I think something else is going on - like an equipment swap. She's gotten on the train and currently sitting backwards facing someone, not a normal legroom seat. That doesn't sound like a long distance Superliner. Amtrak.com has also stopped showing updates for the train.

Should have just driven to Chicago to pick her up (she's exhausted on her way back from Eroupe, flew into O'Hare today), or had her take the South Shore Line, Amtrak until this delay seemed like the fastest way to get her home.
If my entire rail trip was from Chicago to South Bend, I wouldn't even consider Amtrak, when the much more reliable, (and probably cheaper). South Shore Line is available...

If my entire rail trip was from Chicago to South Bend, I wouldn't even consider Amtrak, when the much more reliable, (and probably cheaper). South Shore Line is available...
In addition to having nicer trains, Amtrak is only $1.50 more expensive at low bucket and takes a whole hour less to reach South Bend. While delays frequently present issues westbound, it is somewhat unusual for the eastbound to be significantly late leaving Chicago. Lastly, if coming from O'Hare on the Blue Line it is much easier to reach Union Station than Millennium Station (or any of the other South Shore Line stations). However, I have never used Amtrak to South Bend simply because the schedule doesn't work for me.

I think something else is going on - like an equipment swap. She's gotten on the train and currently sitting backwards facing someone, not a normal legroom seat. That doesn't sound like a long distance Superliner.
I'm pretty sure that all Superliner coaches have the same legroom. It just sounds like her seat is facing the wrong direction...

There are some SL cars that were wreck repaired and returned to service in California with the funding coming from California. They have higher density seating more in line with California cars or Surfliners. Since there would be no reason for one of these to be on the CL your theory about one seat not flipped makes more sense.

When the Superliner's were new, the 31000 series coach-baggage cars had 78 seats all on the upper level, while the 34000 series had 62 upper, and 15 lower level seats. I believe they have long since changed the 31000 series upper to match the 34000 series...

In addition to having nicer trains, Amtrak is only $1.50 more expensive at low bucket and takes a whole hour less to reach South Bend. While delays frequently present issues westbound, it is somewhat unusual for the eastbound to be significantly late leaving Chicago. Lastly, if coming from O'Hare on the Blue Line it is much easier to reach Union Station than Millennium Station (or any of the other South Shore Line stations). However, I have never used Amtrak to South Bend simply because the schedule doesn't work for me.
Okay...good points. While the eastbound trains originate in Chicago, how often are they held for late western connections?

I believe the Capitol is a same day turn. I know when I was chatting with the diner crew back when it had a diner they same day turned back. So could have been a crew rest delay as well.

thx, must be a lot easier for the lake, quite a bit more time between arrival and departure than for the cl
LSL is 11h 45m from arrival to departure in CHI (not including early boarding and stuff like that). CL has 9h 55m. Does less than two hours really make much difference? Genuinely asking as I don't know how much time it usually takes to make a turnaround.

The delays are call caused by having to load the "Fresh Choices" meals onto the train. The crews have not been adequately trained.
default_mosking.gif

Had I seen this column I might have posted on to this one but I will post it here as well. The Capitol Limited (29) is running about 1 hr 50 min late into Chicago this morning and it left DC at 26 minutes late and by the time that they hit Harpers Ferry they were running 1 hr 50 min late.

So the real question now is, does the Capitol Limited ever run on time and how often is that?

I believe the Capitol is a same day turn. I know when I was chatting with the diner crew back when it had a diner they same day turned back. So could have been a crew rest delay as well.
Back when I rode the Capitol Limited on the B&O pre-Amtrak, there was no overnighting at either terminal post-April 26, 1958 (when all B&O service between Baltimore and New York City was terminated).

Back