Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Fire Richard Anderson Campaign?

• Please log in to reply
238 replies to this topic

#81 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,585 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 04:25 AM

I don’t feel like I’ve been attacked and I’m in a few of those categories.
  • Chey, daybeers and CraigDK like this

#82 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 06:11 AM

I don’t feel like I’ve been attacked and I’m in a few of those categories.

Attacked is a strong word. If you no longer receive a 10% discount on railfare, I would hardly think that qualifies as an attack (maybe an attack on your wallet, and that's assuming you choose to travel). The LSL/CL meals at most are an attack on their stomachs.

Edited by Philly Amtrak Fan, 18 June 2018 - 06:32 AM.

• cpotisch likes this

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL), Texas Eagle (CHI-DAL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#83 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 06:35 AM

The numbers are all pulled out of no where or at best skewed. Income, birthdate, reason for travel arent asked to the masses. Id be interested to know how many people get or fill out the emailed trip review surveys. The 84 percent coach riders stat make it sound like no one rides in the sleepers and is hugely skewed. Gives Anderson misleading ammunition to break up the LD trains. Of course if your only riding 2-8 hours most people will ride in coach. A better stat would be coach brings in _%revenue and sleepers bring in _% revenue. Or trips over 12 hours coach %vs sleepers %.

I guess you could make similarl statements about airlines, comparing business class to economy passengers. But most airlines are not exactly in a hurry to abolish business class.

I don't think Amtrak will be either.

#84 MikefromCrete

MikefromCrete

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 07:29 AM

I'm not sure what the fuss is about on some of these numbers. It makes sense to me that 84 percent of passengers ride in coach. Most trains have more coaches than sleepers, there are more seats in coaches and passengers traveling short distances usually travel by coach. It seems logical to me. As to income, sleeping car passengers probably have higher incomes. It's not an argument about eliminating sleepers. I imagine these statistics have been common throughout the history of railroad passenger service. 

• jis, crescent2, R30A and 2 others like this

#85 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,735 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 18 June 2018 - 07:52 AM

I'm not sure what the fuss is about on some of these numbers. It makes sense to me that 84 percent of passengers ride in coach. Most trains have more coaches than sleepers, there are more seats in coaches and passengers traveling short distances usually travel by coach. It seems logical to me. As to income, sleeping car passengers probably have higher incomes. It's not an argument about eliminating sleepers. I imagine these statistics have been common throughout the history of railroad passenger service. 

I do agree about the sleepers. I don't think there are any trains with as many sleepers as coaches. A Superliner sleeper can carry 44 passengers with normal occupancy, whereas a Superliner coach can carry 78 passengers. Likewise a Viewliner sleeper can carry 30 passengers, while an Amfleet II carries 59. So on the Silver Meteor, which usually runs with three sleepers and five coaches, coach consists of 76.6% of the train's capacity.

So I really don't think that 84% sounds far fetched at all.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#86 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,703 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 18 June 2018 - 12:07 PM

As a veteran, I didn’t feel attacked in the least when he ended the for pay discount system that allowed a private group to sell Amtrak discounts that didn’t share that revenue with Amtrak.

I believe that they’re working on a real veteran’s discount that doesn’t require me to pay a random third party to qualify for. If that comes to pass, it’s a net win.

First, thanks for your service....

And did you get yourself one of these yet?  https://www.va.gov/o...ase.cfm?id=3979

It is for veteran's that didn't serve long enough to get a retiree ID card...

• Chey likes this
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#87 Chey

Chey

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Interests:North American passenger trains, especially Amtrak and VIA

Posted 18 June 2018 - 12:24 PM

And did you get yourself one of these yet?  https://www.va.gov/o...ase.cfm?id=3979

Thanks for that link - my spouse had no idea and will be filling out the app for it.

#88 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,703 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 18 June 2018 - 01:01 PM

Thanks for that link - my spouse had no idea and will be filling out the app for it.

You're very welcome...and thank him for his service... :)

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#89 TiBike

TiBike

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 01:50 PM

Replacing old school affinity group discounts with targeted promotions, like I've been seeing in my email, isn't an attack on anyone. Modernising food service or trying to improve on time performance isn't an attack on passengers in general either. Some might not like the changes, but on the whole it looks to me like a net gain.

• jis, Ryan, Eric S and 7 others like this

Coast Starlight • California Zephyr • Crescent • Lake Shore Limited • San Joaquin • Capitol Corridor • Pacific Surfliner

Shinkansen • TranzAlpine (NZ) • Northern Explorer (NZ) • Coastal Pacific (NZ) • Great Southern Rail Overland (Oz) • Tze-Chiang Limited (ROC) • Thello Venice-Paris

#90 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,732 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 09:21 PM

Personally, I don't think it will do much good. This is particularly true since he is following PRIIA's mandate.

No, he's not following PRIIA -- he's flagrantly ignoring its requirements.

Where's the FRA reporting on short-term and long-term avoidable costs by train route?  Required in 2008!  I'd like to see it.  It would prove what a bunch of lies he's been telling about the various trains.

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#91 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,732 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 09:23 PM

If they truly think that 92 percent of both coach and sleeper passengers are not traveling on business, and that most of us are over 50, then say goodbye to the trains for sure, except for the northeast. My impression is that Amtrak does not care about older passengers or leisure passengers--it just wants young and rich, traveling for business.

The vast majority of travel, EVEN ON THE NEC, is not "for business".  It includes visiting family, going to college and back, taking regular holidays, etc.

--Nathanael--

#92 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,732 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 09:27 PM

It's been noted before that even sold out sleeper cars in the consist of a LD train cost more to operate than the revenue they generate.

It's been proven flat out that that's false on the Lake Shore Limited, actually.  The sleeper cars produce more revenue than their costs. In fact, on the LSL, they are almost certainly more profitable than the coach cars.

But feel free to keep spreading lies.
  • cpotisch likes this
--Nathanael--

#93 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,732 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 09:31 PM

I'm wondering why people haven't turned their attention and wrath on the Board Of Directors.

Because the Board of Directors is the same one which retained Boardman and hired Moorman. Looks like Anderson is doing a snow-job on them. Certainly, campaigns to fire Anderson should be *directed* at the Board of Directors, particularly pointing out Anderson's serial dishonesty in Amtrak public statements.
--Nathanael--

#94 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,595 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 20 June 2018 - 05:30 PM

Also, some states will add a Veteran designation (with proof) to their driver license or ID card. I just applied last week here in Calif (at the same time that I applied for a "RealID").

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

5540 miles booked for this fall on the Sunset Limited, City of New Orleans, Illini/Saluki, Southwest Chief.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/

#95 SANSR

SANSR

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:Family and friends.

Posted 20 June 2018 - 06:36 PM

I want to nominate Ryan as the next CEO.  (Just as long as he will promise me a cab ride of my choosing...........................)

• pennyk, AmtrakBlue, seat38a and 1 other like this

#96 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 09:32 AM

Going past North Philadelphia on train 98. Saw the billboard for Save Amtrak Fire Anderson were cover up by grey tarps.

Wondering what has changed?

#97 GBNorman

GBNorman

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Interests:Retired CPA; employed within railroad industry 1970-81

Posted 08 July 2018 - 10:26 AM

Also, some states will add a Veteran designation (with proof) to their driver license or ID card. I just applied last week here in Calif (at the same time that I applied for a "RealID").
Illinois is one such state. To have your license so endorsed, you must first go to an Illinois Department of Veterans Affairs, and have a copy of your 214 "authenticated". Then go to Driver's Services with that and otherwise follow the normal renewal process.

Attached Files

• FrensicPic likes this

#98 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,354 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 08 July 2018 - 11:46 AM

Going past North Philadelphia on train 98. Saw the billboard for Save Amtrak Fire Anderson were cover up by grey tarps.

Probably a strongly worded letter threatening legal action. That and probably threatening the prevent him from using his cars. I'm sure Bennet will do something again. And what I think the next move will be spectacular.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#99 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,732 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 08 July 2018 - 12:21 PM

Probably a strongly worded letter threatening legal action. That and probably threatening the prevent him from using his cars. I'm sure Bennet will do something again. And what I think the next move will be spectacular.

The eternal dream of all of us railfans. Yet to be seen how it all turns out ...

#100 tommylicious

tommylicious

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 01:35 PM

Is there an official Fire Anderson campaign? Where and how do I sign up?
  • Seaboard92 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users