Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Fire Richard Anderson Campaign?

• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

#41 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,319 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 09:34 AM

The dining car issue is Congress’ fault not Anderson’s.

That is a true statement but true railroad people understand that dining cars are put there to attract passengers into buying the highest priced accommodations. AFAIK, this point has not been made to congress. We can only hope that LD business plunges so that the message is loud and clear. We will no longer ride to CHI on a 20-28 hr trip without fresh hot food. There must be other passengers who feel the same way.  Remember if this effort is successful you can kiss goodbye to the dining service on the trains West from CHI as well..  

Looks like you took their bait.

I ride in sleepers for the flat bed, not for the meals included, though they are a bonus.  I'm fine with taking my own food or buying it from the cafe car.

• jis, Ryan, Chey and 2 others like this

#42 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 09:42 AM

Manchin has demonstrated when he called Gardner to save the one position at CHW that he cares for each and every job. And he is willing to fight for the job. Which is why when you read the language that New River was instrumental in getting in the T-HUD bill that it mandates any station that had an agent in FY 2018 must have at least one agent.

Not only does that save CHW, but also CIN, Montana, and quite a few others. So Manchin has demonstrated he cares about not just his state by his language but about the national network as a whole. And he's been fighting one hell of a fight to keep New River open because if things don't change South Yard will close down permanently And New River Train will cease to exist.

You might want to read the fine print again...

https://www.manchin....n-west-Virginia

"The Committee directs Amtrak to provide at least one station agent in every state where it operates that had at least one station agent in FY 2018, and reiterates its encouragement to improve public outreach prior to making customer service changes."

I underlined state for clarity.

Cincinnati would not qualify since Cleveland and Toledo still have ticket offices open. 

Manchin can't flat out say he's only trying to save Charleston only but he had to figure out that there aren't that many other stations that this applies to so placing this language in makes it sound like he's being more unselfish than he actually is. In the future, it will certainly help smaller states than bigger states. It guarantees states like Montana and North Dakota will always have an agent no matter how few people they serve per day. You think California and Florida are worried about a ticket agent? They will always have the business to have multiple agents. 

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL), Texas Eagle (CHI-DAL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#43 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 16 June 2018 - 09:50 AM

Either way what has senator Casey or Senator Tooney done for Your pet train? Point of the matter in this new environment all trains matter be it private cars, be it charters, be it the cardinal, and to some extent the Acela. And if we as advocates can't fight for all aspects of the trains we love. Then we won't have any train to love. Hence New River fought hard to save the Charleston Station agent, and they are fighting hard on other national network issues. We're in this fight with you but are you in it with us?
  • Thirdrail7 likes this
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#44 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,941 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 16 June 2018 - 10:53 AM

That is a true statement but true railroad people understand that dining cars are put there to attract passengers into buying the highest priced accommodations. AFAIK, this point has not been made to congress. We can only hope that LD business plunges so that the message is loud and clear. We will no longer ride to CHI on a 20-28 hr trip without fresh hot food. There must be other passengers who feel the same way.  Remember if this effort is successful you can kiss goodbye to the dining service on the trains West from CHI as well..  

I ride in sleepers for the flat bed, not for the meals included, though they are a bonus.  I'm fine with taking my own food or buying it from the cafe car.

Everyone's idea of comfort is different. If people like eating an unhealthy high salt box lunch with loads of chemical additives they are certainly entitled to do so. We will spend our money elsewhere and enjoy a full dinner on the road. As for bait. IMO the bait is to see if ridership still stays strong on the CL and LSL. If it does then the Western trains are next. The issue of laying off good people is also a concern but certain people don't care about that. .

• cpotisch likes this

#45 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,319 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 11:11 AM

Everyone's idea of comfort is different. If people like eating an unhealthy high salt box lunch with loads of chemical additives they are certainly entitled to do so. We will spend our money elsewhere and enjoy a full dinner on the road. As for bait. IMO the bait is to see if ridership still stays strong on the CL and LSL. If it does then the Western trains are next. The issue of laying off good people is also a concern but certain people don't care about that. .

You keep bringing up the laying off of people.  You do realize that employees get laid off everyday, don't you?  I've been laid off quite a few times in my life time and I've survived.  It's a fact of life, not something that only happens to Amtrak employees.

And did I say I was happy with the box lunch/dinner?  No, I did not.  Did I say I like eating high salt foods with chemical additives.  No, I did not.  I said I'm ok with bringing my own food or buying food in the cafe.  

I do not speak for everyone, so you should not assume EVERYONE does what I do.  

• jis, seat38a, Chey and 2 others like this

#46 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 12:33 PM

Either way what has senator Casey or Senator Tooney done for Your pet train? Point of the matter in this new environment all trains matter be it private cars, be it charters, be it the cardinal, and to some extent the Acela. And if we as advocates can't fight for all aspects of the trains we love. Then we won't have any train to love. Hence New River fought hard to save the Charleston Station agent, and they are fighting hard on other national network issues. We're in this fight with you but are you in it with us?

I hardly believe the Charleston Station agent nor other station agents in most stations in places I've never heard of are "national network issues". I forget the actual statistic but most tickets are handled online these days and a lot of stops don't have agents already. Cutting agents is a cost cutting move just like the AAA discount. I don't like it but I get it.  Spending money on a ticket agent takes money away which could be used elsewhere. Amtrak is only given a certain amount of money a year. I want it used to better benefit the country, not just West Virginia. Does it have to be Philadelphia? Not necessarily. But I think it should be proportionally based on population and right now it does seem to be IMO disproportionally given to benefit rural population more and Amtrak were to truly benefit that needs to change. 

I'm not sure if Anderson's delivery is the best but he might get the idea of Amtrak being a taxpayer burden and is trying to reduce the burden on the American taxpayer.

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL), Texas Eagle (CHI-DAL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#47 tricia

tricia

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 12:40 PM

I hardly believe the Charleston Station agent nor other station agents in most stations in places I've never heard of are "national network issues". I forget the actual statistic but most tickets are handled online these days and a lot of stops don't have agents already. Cutting agents is a cost cutting move just like the AAA discount. I don't like it but I get it.  Spending money on a ticket agent takes money away which could be used elsewhere. Amtrak is only given a certain amount of money a year. I want it used to better benefit the country, not just West Virginia. Does it have to be Philadelphia? Not necessarily. But I think it should be proportionally based on population and right now it does seem to be IMO disproportionally given to benefit rural population more and Amtrak were to truly benefit that needs to change. 

I'm not sure if Anderson's delivery is the best but he might get the idea of Amtrak being a taxpayer burden and is trying to reduce the burden on the American taxpayer.

US citizens are citizens of the entire United States, not just their local municipality. Why shouldn't our national government maintain infrastructure that enables us to travel throughout our entire country? Likewise, all of us have an interest in maintaining infrastructure that supports a functioning economy across the entire nation. Amtrak routes through sparsely populated areas benefit ALL of us, just as the national highway system does. 

• Ryan, railiner, Devil's Advocate and 9 others like this

#48 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 12:49 PM

Philly,

I truly don't understand how you and I can live in a similar area and have such different perceptions/reactions to the same situation. I perceive everything as being given to the rich, crowded, and often rude Northeast Corridor, with the rural areas getting scraps and having to beg for those. And West Virginia seems to me to be one of the eastern states that is a true treasure, with its incredible scenery, and should be promoted, not scorned. I love Philadelphia, too--it is my favorite local getaway city--but don't see why, for example, the east coast gets a bunch of trains, including Acelas, and still wants to starve the rest of the country of LD trains.

Edited by Mystic River Dragon, 16 June 2018 - 12:50 PM.

• Thirdrail7 and cpotisch like this

#49 frequentflyer

frequentflyer

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 01:16 PM

Fire Mr Anderson and replace him with who? Another yes man bureaucrat not wanting to rock the boat? 

This is about wanting Amtrak to be the way it has always been or moving it in  a new direction. One can be for either and that's fine, its your prerogative and change can be unsettling, but at least admit it .

Edited by frequentflyer, 16 June 2018 - 01:24 PM.

#50 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 16 June 2018 - 02:02 PM

Personally I want to replace him with Cindy Sandborn formerly of CSX now Union Pacific. She's grown up in railroading, she understands railroading, and she understands amtraks unique needs.
  • neroden likes this
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#51 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,824 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 16 June 2018 - 03:36 PM

Why is it that you feel that West Virginia does not deserve a station agent, or even a train at all?

You know how many departures each station in West Virginia gets in a week? Six. You know how many Amtrak departures Philadelphia gets each day? 108. But still you complain that your hometown doesn't have daily non-stop service to Chicago, and that the thrice-weekly train which does offer you non-stop service, should get the ax. 

As Tricia said, West Virginia is part of the United States, so how can you say that you're not benefiting the nation by giving it a station agent? Under your logic that by Amtrak spending money on something that benefits locals, they are wasting funds and failing to benefit the country as a whole, then any money spent on any local service must be a waste, be it Charleston or New York City. 

Tell me this: If you lived in WV, and had to put up with train service from one train that serves your town three days a week in each direction, what would be your opinion of someone whose town gets more than 750 Amtrak departures a week (not even including SEPTA or NJT), but wants you to lose train service altogether, just so that they can get a faster one seat ride to Chicago? I think I'll leave it at that.

Edited by cpotisch, 08 July 2018 - 09:34 AM.

• Ryan, AmtrakBlue, tricia and 8 others like this
Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#52 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 16 June 2018 - 06:52 PM

That is a true statement but true railroad people understand that dining cars are put there to attract passengers into buying the highest priced accommodations. . . We will no longer ride to CHI on a 20-28 hr trip without fresh hot food. There must be other passengers who feel the same way.

These days sleeper passengers only account for some 16% of LD train riders, and the average age of a sleeper pax is 61. The other 84% are in coach or business.
With some 5x as many coach riders it seems the math works out that Amtrak makes as much revenue, if not a little more, from coach passengers and what they spend in the SSL café and dining car.

A superliner sleeper car has 21 sleeper rooms. Since the sleeper cost is not connected to how many people occupy a sleeper berth, Amtrak makes out somewhat dollar wise if just 1 person occupies a sleeper because they then provide just meals for 1, not 2 per roomette/H-room, 3 per Bedroom or 4 per Family room.
It's been noted before that even sold out sleeper cars in the consist of a LD train cost more to operate than the revenue they generate.  

Other than eggs and steak you haven't been getting "fresh" food in a lot of years.

No doubt some passengers will feel the same way, but Amtrak has been reducing amenities and services for quite a few years. Some passengers have stopped riding Amtrak because of those changes, but  ridership continues to increase (25% since 2006) making it hard to suggest that Amtrak is on the wrong track (pun intended) regards fine tuning the Amtrak sleeper experience so it is more contemporary and maybe more appealing to a younger demographic.

Source of Amtrak LD train numbers: https://www.amtrak.c...s-FY18-FY23.pdf

Edited by KmH, 17 June 2018 - 10:16 AM.

• jis, AmtrakBlue, seat38a and 3 others like this

California Zephyr • Coast Starlight  • Southwest Chief • Sunset Limited • Texas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr • Capitol Corridor

. . . . Amtrak miles - 23,703, so far.

#53 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,319 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 07:39 PM

No doubt some passengers will feel the same way, but Amtrak has been reducing amenities and services for quite a few years. Some passengers have stopped riding Amtrak because of those changes, but  ridership continues to increase (25% since 2006) making it hard to suggest that Amtrak is on the wrong track (pun intended) regards fine tuning the Amtrak sleeper experience so it is more contemporary and maybe more appealing to a younger demographic.

And some keep threatening to stop riding...but they're still riding and threatening.... :P

• jis, seat38a, daybeers and 3 others like this

#54 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,834 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 09:09 PM

No doubt some passengers will feel the same way, but Amtrak has been reducing amenities and services for quite a few years. Some passengers have stopped riding Amtrak because of those changes, but ridership continues to increase (25% since 2006) making it hard to suggest that Amtrak is on the wrong track (pun intended) regards fine tuning the Amtrak sleeper experience so it is more contemporary and maybe more appealing to a younger demographic.

So by reducing services, cutting amenities, and raising prices Amtrak is making the sleeper experience more appealing to a generation that has less disposable income, higher debt burdens, and fewer opportunities for luxury travel? Please tell me more.

And some keep threatening to stop riding...but they're still riding and threatening.

While others repeatedly claim they support every price increase and service cutback...even though they never seem to have any actual long distance sleeper trips to talk about.
  • jis, chrsjrcj, daybeers and 3 others like this

#55 tommylicious

tommylicious

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 01:19 AM

Happy to sign a recall petition

#56 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, And Web App Development

Posted 17 June 2018 - 05:19 AM

Personally I want to replace him with Cindy Sandborn formerly of CSX now Union Pacific. She's grown up in railroading, she understands railroading, and she understands amtraks unique needs.

Has Cindy shown any interest in the job? Last I checked, taking unwilling people and throwing them in a job that they don't want is a NO NO.

#57 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 07:46 AM

Has Cindy shown any interest in the job? Last I checked, taking unwilling people and throwing them in a job that they don't want is a NO NO.

Cindy was one of the people that expressed zero interest in the job. It is hard to find a railroader with interest and maybe that is the real problem that needs to be addressed.

• Mystic River Dragon, daybeers, LookingGlassTie and 1 other like this

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#58 frequentflyer

frequentflyer

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 08:05 AM

Still waiting for this mythical CEO that's "wants" to work for Amtrak.

• daybeers and cpotisch like this

#59 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 17 June 2018 - 08:29 AM

Well the other person I want as CEO is Thirdrail7 but I doubt he has the interest in doing it.

But I would accept Brian Ghallanger Boardmans right hand man. At least he's come from the crafts and understands how a railroad works. And being Boardmans right hand man probably understands how the CEO job works as well.

#60 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,020 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 08:55 AM

Well the other person I want as CEO is Thirdrail7 but I doubt he has the interest in doing it.

But I would accept Brian Ghallanger Boardmans right hand man. At least he's come from the crafts and understands how a railroad works. And being Boardmans right hand man probably understands how the CEO job works as well.

That's debatable.

• cpotisch likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users