Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Business Cars on Western Inspection Trip

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 03:58 PM

Clearly Amtrak thought it more important to have the people on the company trip access the train than it was to be able to access the baggage car while in motion.

Why do you think so many station lost their staff when they did? See? Problem solved! :hi:

• jis, Ryan and cpotisch like this

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#22 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,974 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:10 PM

Wait a second, how did they have access to the baggage car? What's the point in having the Trans-Dorm at the back if the cars it connects to are private?

That was my point, they do not need access to the baggage car, between stops normally anymore, since they eliminated TBM's.

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#23 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,974 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:12 PM

The cars weren't private.  Wouldn't the occupants have eaten in the dining car?

I believe American View has the facilities to cook for a small party of travelers. Same with the Pacific car they had with them. Don't quote me though because I haven't been on those.

That's what I thought...they would have no reason to have access to the train.   If they were aboard to observe service, they would have been accommodated on the regular space.

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#24 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,974 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:15 PM

Wait a second, how did they have access to the baggage car? What's the point in having the Trans-Dorm at the back if the cars it connects to are private?

Clearly Amtrak thought it more important to have the people on the company trip access the train than it was to be able to access the baggage car while in motion.

Maybe the Amtrak staff were required to eat standard passenger chow instead of spending money on their own gourmet food service, and service staff?

Or how about needing access to the brake hose at the rear of the train for brake tests, and any potential reverse moves? Speeds things up without having to stop the train and give enough time for the conductor to pass from the rear of the train to the revenue part of the train, both before and after heading to the rear.

That's the reason, I believe...access for the conductor to the rear....

Edited by railiner, 14 June 2018 - 09:16 PM.

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#25 Trogdor

Trogdor

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:46 PM

I really dont know whether to laugh or cry at this thread, and the whole discussion about why the transition sleeper was at the other end.
  • AmtrakBlue likes this
Posted Image

#26 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:56 PM

I really dont know whether to laugh or cry at this thread, and the whole discussion about why the transition sleeper was at the other end.

Read it again and let us know...ASAP. I'm not sure I'll be able to sleep well if I don't know if you're laughing or crying at this thread.

But I'll try!

• railiner, AmtrakBlue and cpotisch like this

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users