Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

What to do in NYC

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 08:37 PM

Anyone ever been to Coney Island? According to Wikipedia, the subway stop is the largest elevated metro stop in North America. They have a boardwalk, a beach, and a few of the amusement park rides escaped the depredations of Robert Moses, Fred Trump, and Rudy Giuliani.

You can also get a Nathan's hot dog at the original stand.

Some of us were born and raised in NYC area.

My wife and I went back a few years ago. Area of the subway station smelled and looked dirty. Police had a place on a level above the tracks so they could look down (for trouble?) but I didn't feel unsafe. Coney Island is not the cool place it used to be but is well worth visiting. We did stop at the original Nathans and, once more, I had a hot dog. My wife didn't like them as they have a skin you have to bite through. I love 'em.

I still remember the Red Bats. They were in a cage. You climbed some stairs to look in and you saw them - two small baseball bats painted red. When I saw them in the '60s, the paint was peeling. There was no charge to see them. Just one of the quirky Coney Island things. I couldn't find them when I visited with my wife.

#42 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,824 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:08 AM

Anyone ever been to Coney Island? According to Wikipedia, the subway stop is the largest elevated metro stop in North America. They have a boardwalk, a beach, and a few of the amusement park rides escaped the depredations of Robert Moses, Fred Trump, and Rudy Giuliani.

I've been there many times. It's a great area and a small yet fantastic amusement park. As I mentioned earlier:

As to the ideal subway line to enjoy the city, I would take the F to Coney Island. You can enjoy the boardwalk, as well as the original Nathan's Hot Dog Stand, and if you have time, there's the amusement park itself. There's also an the the aquarium to enjoy.  Hope this helps!

Edited by cpotisch, 28 June 2018 - 10:21 AM.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#43 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:23 AM

Some of us were born and raised in NYC area.

My wife and I went back a few years ago. Area of the subway station smelled and looked dirty. Police had a place on a level above the tracks so they could look down (for trouble?) but I didn't feel unsafe. Coney Island is not the cool place it used to be but is well worth visiting. We did stop at the original Nathans and, once more, I had a hot dog. My wife didn't like them as they have a skin you have to bite through. I love 'em.

I still remember the Red Bats. They were in a cage. You climbed some stairs to look in and you saw them - two small baseball bats painted red. When I saw them in the '60s, the paint was peeling. There was no charge to see them. Just one of the quirky Coney Island things. I couldn't find them when I visited with my wife.

Yeah, the station isn't particularly clean, but in my experience it's nothing particularly unpleasant. It's definitely a quirky area, and some parts aren't particularly nice, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#44 Maglev

Maglev

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Trains, environmental science, planetary volcanism.

Posted 28 June 2018 - 11:06 AM

Is this a vintage photograph?  I notice there's a lot of trash around.  Is NYC cleaner than this now?

I'm also bummed to see that the vintage subways will be running THIS weekend - a week before I'm going to be there! :(

Just heard about that - courtesy of another student who's taking it to Brighton Beach this weekend. I can't make it, which is a shame since they'll be running the rare R40 slants, my favorite car:

img_5193.jpg

Fortunately, nostalgia rides aren't that rare, so if you're ever in the city again, you might be able to catch one.

Northeast corridor Heritage, Metroliner, Amfleet and Acela, CN Super Continental, Broadway Limited, Lone Star, Sunset Limited, Coast Starlight, San Joaquin, Southwest Limited, National Limited, Champion, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Wolverine, Crescent, Empire Builder, Cascades, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Meteor, Cardinal. 

#45 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 11:46 AM

Is this a vintage photograph?  I notice there's a lot of trash around.  Is NYC cleaner than this now?

I'm also bummed to see that the vintage subways will be running THIS weekend - a week before I'm going to be there! :(

Just heard about that - courtesy of another student who's taking it to Brighton Beach this weekend. I can't make it, which is a shame since they'll be running the rare R40 slants, my favorite car:

img_5193.jpg

Fortunately, nostalgia rides aren't that rare, so if you're ever in the city again, you might be able to catch one.

That is from almost 50 years ago. The subway is definitely a lot cleaner now.

• Maglev likes this

#46 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 01:04 PM

Well, only got a couple really short rides in. Longest ride was about 20 minutes on the 4 into Brooklyn. Son didn't really care for the crowds. Threatened to take him to Tokyo! lol

Had a good time. Only saw one station performer, no rats, plenty of trash, definitely saw rails through the grates while walking on the sidewalks at street level.

No Churros for sale. Was very sad to not see that.

We had a blast. Ran out of time WAY too soon! Wonderful Silver Meteor trip home, and enjoyed what could be the last time I enjoy a good crab cake on steak dinner.
  • cpotisch likes this

14,223 Amtrak Miles. Many more to go.
Completed Routes: Capitol Limited, Palmetto
Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users