Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

What to do in NYC

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,802 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:44 AM

I suspect one of New York's claim to 24 hour claim is the Subway system. Until recently it was pretty much the only system that ran 24 hours.

Now of course, London has joined the ranks (though not yet and possibly not ever on all lines) and several other cities are preparing to jump in. As far as surface Suburban Lines go though, there already were several cities that pretty much ran round the clock if you consider 20-30 min headway as running.

#22 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,779 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 12:00 PM

I suspect one of New York's claim to 24 hour claim is the Subway system. Until recently it was pretty much the only system that ran 24 hours.

I assumed it was based on the clubs and drug culture from the sixties and seventies.  Humans can't normally keep going all day and all night long unless they're on something stronger than a conventional OTC stimulant.  In many major cities the transit curfew is when most/all of the maintenance is completed.  Not sure how New York gets around it but I guess they just wait until something important fails before shutting down the interchange/station/bridge/tunnel to fix or replace the failed component(s).

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 15 June 2018 - 01:01 PM.

#23 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 12:04 PM

Many subway lines are open 24 hours, whereas Chicago is unusual in that even 2 lines remain open through the night.

Not counting temporary service disruptions, almost every subway line runs 24/7. I'm pretty sure the C and B are the only trains that don't operate at night, and all stations in the system are open 24/7. My point is that mass transit is almost always an option in NYC, regardless of the time.

But it is SAFE 24/7?

14,223 Amtrak Miles. Many more to go.
Completed Routes: Capitol Limited, Palmetto
Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

#24 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 15 June 2018 - 12:06 PM

I previously assumed it was based on the clubs and drug culture from the sixties and seventies.  Humans can't normally keep going all night long unless they're on something stronger than a conventional stimulant.  In many major cities the transit curfew is when most/all of the maintenance is completed.  Not sure how New York gets around it but I guess they just wait until something important fails before shutting the line or interchange down to fix it.

I really think that it's just that New York City is massive both in population and area, yet not very conducive to automobiles, so mass transit is desperately needed, pretty much round the clock. Of course it's not nearly as busy late at night, but I've been on trains at 11:00 PM or later and all the seats were filled up. As to how they maintain the infrastructure if the trains run 24/7, there's the occasional service disruption at night or on weekends, during which they do their repairs and construction.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#25 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 12:13 PM

Many subway lines are open 24 hours, whereas Chicago is unusual in that even 2 lines remain open through the night.

Not counting temporary service disruptions, almost every subway line runs 24/7. I'm pretty sure the C and B are the only trains that don't operate at night, and all stations in the system are open 24/7. My point is that mass transit is almost always an option in NYC, regardless of the time.

But it is SAFE 24/7?

I would say that a grown man traveling on a subway train at night is completely safe. It definitely isn't any less safe than being out on the street late at night, especially since every station and train car is lighted, and that regardless of the time, there are pretty much always multiple people riding in each one. My point is, I would not consider the subway to be at the limiting factor when it comes to safety late at night.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#26 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,802 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 15 June 2018 - 12:43 PM

I really think that it's just that New York City is massive both in population and area, yet not very conducive to automobiles, so mass transit is desperately needed, pretty much round the clock. Of course it's not nearly as busy late at night, but I've been on trains at 11:00 PM or later and all the seats were filled up. As to how they maintain the infrastructure if the trains run 24/7, there's the occasional service disruption at night or on weekends, during which they do their repairs and construction.

As has been becoming more and more evident, actually they maintain it considerably poorly compared to systems in other cities, and upgrades take considerably more time and money too.

#27 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 12:48 PM

As has been becoming more and more evident, actually they maintain it considerably poorly compared to systems in other cities, and upgrades take considerably more time and money too.

I do agree to a certain extent. There is apparently something to be said for just shutting down a line or segment altogether to get all the construction and maintenance done, and then continue service once again. The current system of doing repairs at night or on weekends, over the course of weeks or even months, hasn't been working great. The question is, is it better to inconvenience a bunch of people for months on end, or to screw with a ton of people for a few days. I feel like the latter is better in the long run.

• jis and daybeers like this

#28 duckmark

duckmark

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:15 PM

All subways are safe day and night. It’s not like it was 30-40 years ago. Take one of the subways to Brooklyn after dark and walk back across the Brooklyn Bridge. Very cool. There’s a new Midtown attraction called Gulliver’s Gate that might appeal to your son. I really enjoyed it. Could take Path train to Hoboken and ferry back to Chelsea. Also consider Classic Cruise Line trips around Manhattan. Goldstar has discount tickets.
  • VentureForth and cpotisch like this

#29 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:43 PM

I would definitely recommend the NY Waterway ferries if you get the chance. They're very inexpensive, pretty efficient, and offer you a great view of the NYC skyline. There are plenty of routes, but I most recommend you take the East River Ferry from midtown to Pier 1 (near the southern tip of Manhattan). There's a large open area up top, which will let you enjoy the sun and get some great pictures of Brooklyn and Manhattan. Here's their website.

#30 NorthShore

NorthShore

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted Today, 12:40 AM

How stupid for the "city that never sleeps"...

I feel like part of anyone's first visit to New York is the realization that most of it sleeps just as much as any other big city. -_- 
Meanwhile, a couple of years back I walked around the western edge of the Loop in Chicago around the same time of day before catching the last Orange Line train of the night for an early morning flight, and there was virtually nobody on the streets.
You were hanging in the wrong area if expecting nightlife. It isn't hard to find very active streets late with 2:00, 4:00, and weekend 5:00 liquor licenses abounding.

Though, there are those who recall Chicago partying hard every night till dawn more than now in decades past.

Still, a lot of the most interesting stuff in town doesn't really get going until at least 11 or after Midnight.

Edited by NorthShore, Today, 12:42 AM.

#31 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts

Posted Today, 12:36 PM

Still, a lot of the most interesting stuff in town doesn't really get going until at least 11 or after Midnight.

My Savannah is much like that. With a bar closing time of 3 AM, we have quite the party reputation. Bar tenders are going home while breakfast cooks are going in.

14,223 Amtrak Miles. Many more to go.
Completed Routes: Capitol Limited, Palmetto
Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

#32 Manny T

Manny T

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted Today, 05:54 PM

I assumed it was based on the clubs and drug culture from the sixties and seventies.  Humans can't normally keep going all day and all night long unless they're on something stronger than a conventional OTC stimulant.  In many major cities the transit curfew is when most/all of the maintenance is completed.  Not sure how New York gets around it but I guess they just wait until something important fails before shutting down the interchange/station/bridge/tunnel to fix or replace the failed component(s).

New York is "The City That Never Sleeps." The people--they sleep.

Mass transit is 24/7, but so are many stores, esp. coffee shops and local convenience stores. Families are known to keep their stores open 24/7, explaining "We pay rent 24/7." Also bars and clubs are generally open till 4 AM, sometimes 5 on weekends. I've been to many "big" cities where bars close at 1 or 2 AM.

Another factor is getting ready for "normal" working hours. The number of people who work overnight--to clean up, collect refuse, or sell fresh fish to restaurants (business hours at the Fulton Fish Market are 1 AM-7 AM daily)--is huge. (Which is one of the reasons for round the clock public transportation.)

Safety? Depends entirely on time of day and location, whether above ground or below. That said, things are much better than they were decades ago.

Edited by Manny T, Today, 08:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users