Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Cambodia's Royal Railway

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 desertflyer

desertflyer

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:28 AM

Last December I rode Royal Railway's service from Sihanoukville to Phnom Penh. This is recently restored train service using French built DMUs as cars.

You can read my trip report with pictures and videos here: https://parkerday.co...-royal-railway/
  • Railroad Bill likes this

#2 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:32 AM

Very enjoyable trip report. Would you say that the train was mostly aimed at tourists, or did local folk use it too? Nice to see these old cars being modified and reused, rather than scrapped!

Ed.

• Railroad Bill and cpotisch like this

#3 desertflyer

desertflyer

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:56 AM

Very enjoyable trip report. Would you say that the train was mostly aimed at tourists, or did local folk use it too? Nice to see these old cars being modified and reused, rather than scrapped!

Ed.

It's amazing how resourceful Cambodians can be. As for whether the service is geared toward tourists or locals, I think the service is geared towards both and I'd say it was about 1/3 foreign tourists on my train. The rest were leisure Cambodian travelers. Fares are $7 end to end. It's a bit cheaper than an air conditioned van the same distance, but it does take almost twice as long.

I think the biggest problem facing the service is frequency. The schedule is currently:

Every Friday 1500 Phnom Penh to Sihanoukville

Every Saturday 0700 Phnom Penh to Sihanoukville

Every Saturday 0700 Sihanoukville to Phnom Penh

Every Sunday 0700 Phnom Penh to Sihanoukville

Every Sunday 1600 Sihanoukville to Phnom Penh

Every Sunday 0700 Sihanoukville to Phnom Penh

Every Sunday 1600 Phnom-Penh Sihanoukville

Every Monday 0700 Sihanoukville to Phnom Penh

Edited by desertflyer, 13 June 2018 - 08:25 PM.

• caravanman likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users