Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Coast Starlight diversion between Klamath Falls and Eugene?

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#21 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,352 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 12 June 2018 - 01:11 AM

You would be correct that section is just one railroad. The line in Bend on the OT is fairly busy. And don't forget to get over to Portland you have to swing down either side of the gorge to find a formidable wall of trains. I want to say you can access the UP side from the Oregon Trunk but it's been awhile since I've been to that part of the Gorge.

And both the UP Main there and the SP&S are incredibly busy stretches of line.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#22 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,595 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:58 PM

Posted today 6/12 by UP...

we anticipate the tunnel will continue to be out of service until June 23.

https://www.up.com/c.../CN2018-17.html

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

5540 miles booked for this fall on the Sunset Limited, City of New Orleans, Illini/Saluki, Southwest Chief.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/

#23 spinnaker

spinnaker

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:05 PM

Posted today 6/12 by UP...

we anticipate the tunnel will continue to be out of service until June 23.

https://www.up.com/c.../CN2018-17.html

Someone needs to tell amtrak.   You can book as early as the 20th. ;)

#24 hmy1

hmy1

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:14 PM

This is sad:

https://www.amtrak.c...-Starlight.html 

Track Work Affects Coast Starlight Trains 11 & 14 Effective Until Further Notice

Track work being performed by Union Pacific Railroad will affect Coast Starlight service until further notice.

Beginning Monday, June 11
  • Train 14 will operate Los Angeles to Sacramento, only. No alternate transportation will be provided to missed stops at Chico, Redding, Dunsmuir, Klamath Falls, Chemult, Eugene, Albany, Salem, Vancouver, Portland, Kelso, Centralia, Olympia-Lacey, Tacoma and Seattle.
    • Passengers with origin and destination points between Eugene and Seattle may book travel on other Amtrak Cascade Service trains and their connecting Amtrak Thruway buses.
  • Train 11 will originate at Sacramento as of June 12. No alternate transportation will be provided to missed stops at Seattle, Tacoma, Olympia-Lacey, Centralia, Kelso, Vancouver, Portland, Salem, Albany, Eugene, Chemult, Klamath Falls, Dunsmuir, Redding and Chico.
    • Passengers with origin and destination points between Seattle and Eugene may book travel on other Amtrak Cascade Service trains and their connecting Amtrak Thruway buses.
No Sleeping or Dining Car

Until further notice, Trains 11 and 14 will not have sleeping car or dining car accommodations.

First bookable date is now Sunday 6/24.

#25 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • Interests:Computers, riding trains/travel, watching movies/sporting events, listening to music/speeches/talk radio, reading

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:29 PM

This is sad:

https://www.amtrak.c...-Starlight.html

Track Work Affects Coast Starlight Trains 11 & 14 Effective Until Further Notice

Track work being performed by Union Pacific Railroad will affect Coast Starlight service until further notice.

First bookable date is now Sunday 6/24.

If Amtrak is playing the Indef game (my jargon for "effective until further notice"), how can a 6/24 onwards can be booked? I think there might be an inconsistency between the notice (infinite) and the reservation system (finite). Don't know how the reservation system works on a disruption that notes the expiration date of infinite.  I know how Amtrak works to some extent, but not the exact inner workings of the reservation system.

Also FYI, I was told that you can't find this on the standard alerts page, but instead buried inside the CS information page, which requires some level of digging.

Trains taken (Amtrak): Coast Starlight (VAN-LAX), San Joaquins (BFD-SAC, BFD-MTZ), Empire Builder (PDX-CHI), Southwest Chief, Hoosier State, California Zephyr, Sunset Limited (LAX-MRC), Capitol Limited, Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), Capitol Corridor (EMY-SAC), Acela Express (WAS-NYP)

Current Amtrak mileage: 47445 miles

#26 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:33 PM

If Amtrak is playing the Indef game (my jargon for "effective until further notice"), how can a 6/24 onwards can be booked? I think there might be an inconsistency between the notice (infinite) and the reservation system (finite). Don't know how the reservation system works on a disruption that notes the expiration date of infinite.  I know how Amtrak works to some extent, but not the exact inner workings of the reservation system.

Also FYI, I was told that you can't find this on the standard alerts page, but instead buried inside the CS information page, which requires some level of digging.

That is the latest estimation from UP. However, instead of putting up dates on the alert that keep changing, they just put it up until further notice. Additionally, UP could wrap up the work prior to the estimated date of completion.  if that occurs, the stub train will not run until the 24th. They'll restore normal service ASAP.

As for the res system, they block indefinitely if they so desired. However, it blocked until the latest estimated completion date.

Edited by Thirdrail7, 15 June 2018 - 10:35 PM.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#27 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • Interests:Computers, riding trains/travel, watching movies/sporting events, listening to music/speeches/talk radio, reading

Posted 16 June 2018 - 02:00 AM

As for the res system, they block indefinitely if they so desired.

Just out of curiosity, have such actions ever been done in the last 15 years?

Trains taken (Amtrak): Coast Starlight (VAN-LAX), San Joaquins (BFD-SAC, BFD-MTZ), Empire Builder (PDX-CHI), Southwest Chief, Hoosier State, California Zephyr, Sunset Limited (LAX-MRC), Capitol Limited, Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), Capitol Corridor (EMY-SAC), Acela Express (WAS-NYP)

#28 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 02:48 AM

That is the latest estimation from UP. However, instead of putting up dates on the alert that keep changing, they just put it up until further notice. Additionally, UP could wrap up the work prior to the estimated date of completion.  if that occurs, the stub train will not run until the 24th. They'll restore normal service ASAP.

It appears that that according to a reliable UP source, the SLC reroutes are expected to last for another month. Looks like another twist to the plot is brewing. Don't know how the two will be intertwined. Nobody on Train Orders brought up this information, at least from what I can see.

Edited by bmjhagen9426, 16 June 2018 - 02:51 AM.

#29 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 06:28 AM

Yes, they have...although it rarely happens with rarely with scheduled passenger trains.

It appears that that according to a reliable UP source, the SLC reroutes are expected to last for another month. Looks like another twist to the plot is brewing. Don't know how the two will be intertwined. Nobody on Train Orders brought up this information, at least from what I can see.

All in all, it's just another brick in the wall.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#30 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 10:03 AM

Yes, they have...although it rarely happens with rarely with scheduled passenger trains.

All in all, it's just another brick in the wall.

Another brick in the wall...what does that mean? I have two reservations happening next month, and I have yet to be contacted.

#31 spinnaker

spinnaker

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 04:27 PM

I have two reservations happening next month, and I have yet to be contacted.

I am in the same boat.   My train leaves  July 1 Eugene to Sacramento.   I have an extra problem that I will have a bicycle with me.   I am trying to figure out a contingency plan.

Ideas  I have so far are:

1.  One way rental to Kalmath Falls but in my searching I can find no one way rentals.

2.  Rent a small UHaul.  Probably going to be hugely expensive. 

3.  Fly but that would mean packing my bike which is a hassle and takes time.  I could ship it straight home but then I won't have it with me in Sacramento, in Chicago and when I get home.   My bike was my ride back home.  And I might not be able to get a reservation last minute. 

4. I belong to a bicycle touring organization.   Last resort I could impose on my host to drive me to Klamath Falls but hate doing that.

If anyone has some ideas I am all eyes. ;)

I sure hope the train runs by the first.  That is well past the 23rd date they are giving but from the article I read they are not even certain yet what they will actually find.  This not knowing really stinks.  

Edited by spinnaker, 16 June 2018 - 04:28 PM.

#32 spinnaker

spinnaker

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 04:38 PM

Hers is the article I found

http://www.thenewstr...e213067744.html

This is what concerns me.

As of Thursday morning, repairs should be finished by June 23, said Union Pacific spokesman Justin Jacobs.

"That is subject to change as crews dig that out," Jacobs said.

"As we get in there, it’s a little more severe than what we thought," Jacobs said.

Read more here: http://www.
thenewstribune.com/news/local/article213067744.html#storylink=cpy

#33 RPC

RPC

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 05:41 PM

I have two reservations happening next month, and I have yet to be contacted.

I am in the same boat.   My train leaves  July 1 Eugene to Sacramento.   I have an extra problem that I will have a bicycle with me.   I am trying to figure out a contingency plan.

Ideas  I have so far are:

1.  One way rental to Kalmath Falls but in my searching I can find no one way rentals.

2.  Rent a small UHaul.  Probably going to be hugely expensive. 

3.  Fly but that would mean packing my bike which is a hassle and takes time.  I could ship it straight home but then I won't have it with me in Sacramento, in Chicago and when I get home.   My bike was my ride back home.  And I might not be able to get a reservation last minute. 

4. I belong to a bicycle touring organization.   Last resort I could impose on my host to drive me to Klamath Falls but hate doing that.

If anyone has some ideas I am all eyes. ;)

I sure hope the train runs by the first.  That is well past the 23rd date they are giving but from the article I read they are not even certain yet what they will actually find.  This not knowing really stinks.  

It's even worse than you think - Amtrak is currently not running any trains between Eugene and Sacramento. You can either hope for the best or be prepared to fly or take (gulp) Greyhound from Eugene to Sacramento.

#34 RPC

RPC

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 05:45 PM

"No diner" is sad - this is a 14-15 hour trip and southbound would normally serve three meals over this stretch. I guess we can relabel it "Palmetto West" for now...

#35 spinnaker

spinnaker

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 06:02 PM

It's even worse than you think - Amtrak is currently not running any trains between Eugene and Sacramento. You can either hope for the best or be prepared to fly or take (gulp) Greyhound from Eugene to Sacramento.

This is horrible.  I thought they were at least going to Klamath Falls  from Sacramento but that is not the case.   Why isn't the train going from Klamath Falls??

Greyhound is not an option for me as I already stated. They don't take bikes.

Edited by spinnaker, 16 June 2018 - 06:03 PM.

#36 chakk

chakk

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 08:05 PM

And it has happened to the CS. I rode it a few years ago between SJC and SNS when it was a shortened train with just coaxhes and a SSL. Service that say was terminated north of SAC.

#37 TiBike

TiBike

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 11:43 PM

Crew on the northbound Starlight today said that the route will be Sacramento - LA "for the foreseeable future". Similar comments heading south on Thursday.

Lots of rumors elsewhere on the Interwebs, all pointing to a fix later rather than sooner. It seems like there's two problems that are making a repair date unpredictable: 1. the collapse is inside the tunnel, which means that the workspace is very constricted, and 2. the ground above the tunnel is unstable, so no one is sure how more work needs to be done.

Spinnaker, I feel your pain. North/south travel options on the west coast are pretty poor. I got stuck in Bend last year, and ending up doing a one-way car rental to Sacramento. I just checked Hertz – one way, Eugene to Sacto on 1 July is around $200. That'd be cheaper than flying with a bike, even adding in gas. It's nice drive, although that's not much consolation.

Coast Starlight • California Zephyr • Crescent • Lake Shore Limited • San Joaquin • Capitol Corridor • Pacific Surfliner

Shinkansen • TranzAlpine (NZ) • Northern Explorer (NZ) • Coastal Pacific (NZ) • Great Southern Rail Overland (Oz) • Tze-Chiang Limited (ROC) • Thello Venice-Paris

#38 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 12:51 AM

Crew on the northbound Starlight today said that the route will be Sacramento - LA "for the foreseeable future". Similar comments heading south on Thursday.

Lots of rumors elsewhere on the Interwebs, all pointing to a fix later rather than sooner. It seems like there's two problems that are making a repair date unpredictable: 1. the collapse is inside the tunnel, which means that the workspace is very constricted, and 2. the ground above the tunnel is unstable, so no one is sure how more work needs to be done.

Spinnaker, I feel your pain. North/south travel options on the west coast are pretty poor. I got stuck in Bend last year, and ending up doing a one-way car rental to Sacramento. I just checked Hertz – one way, Eugene to Sacto on 1 July is around $200. That'd be cheaper than flying with a bike, even adding in gas. It's nice drive, although that's not much consolation.

I was never contacted. I have a concern as well. Four trips for the next two months (between 7/15 and 8/31). There seems to be a lot of speculation, with each conflicting the other, as to the exact dates. Does anyone have the link to the latest UP memo?

#39 BCL

BCL

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 02:22 AM

This is horrible.  I thought they were at least going to Klamath Falls  from Sacramento but that is not the case.   Why isn't the train going from Klamath Falls??

First, isn't there an oversized fee for bicycles?  It's easy enough to disassemble one and place it in a box like you would on Amtrak.

As for getting up to Klamath Falls, I think the question is where it could be turned around and serviced.  The CS normally only turns around at yards in LA and Seattle.  There's a yard in Sacramento.

#40 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,695 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 17 June 2018 - 02:31 AM

Since when does Greyhound not take bikes?  You have to have it in a bike box (front wheel and pedals removed, and handlebar turned).  Some terminals sell the boxes if available, but better to get one in advance.  Some bike shops have them.   If you travel frequently, you can also get a permanent bike bag or carrier.

Eugene to Sacramento is about a 10-12 hour trip on Greyhound, depending on which of the four daily trips you book....

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users