Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Patrick Henry Cars on Amtrak #5(10)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Agent

Agent

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 08:47 PM

The two Patrick Henry Creative Promotions private cars, Pullman Evelyn A. Henry and dome car Warren R. Henry, are on the end of the westbound California Zephyr that left Chicago today.  I caught this Amtrak #5, which also has a ski train wrap ad, at Agency, Iowa.

Edited by Agent, 20 August 2018 - 12:01 AM.

• Maglev and Pere Flyer like this

#2 Pere Flyer

Pere Flyer

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Interests:Writing, dancing, traveling

Posted 10 June 2018 - 10:45 PM

Great catch, as always. I guess Patrick Henry made Anderson an offer he couldn’t refuse!
I’ve never been able to distinguish Superliner I and II from each other. Which kind were those cars?

Pere Marquette: 370 (CHI, HOM, GRR); 371 (GRR, HOM, CHI) | Heartland Flyer: 821 (OKC, NOR, FTW); 822 (FTW, NOR, OKC) | Texas Eagle: 21 (CHI, FTW, SAS); 22 (SAS, FTW, AUS, CHI) Cardinal: 50 (CHI, IND, CIN)

SS Line | TRE | DART | MTA | NJT | DC Metro | MBTA | CTA | RTD | MARTA | QLine | Paris Métropolitain | Barcelona Metro | GLI | Jefferson Lines | Ambustitution

#3 MikefromCrete

MikefromCrete

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 11:59 PM

No need for a special deal if those cars are going from Chicago to Emeryville.  Problems incur if there is switching at places along the line. 

• Pere Flyer likes this

#4 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,666 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:45 AM

Great catch, as always. I guess Patrick Henry made Anderson an offer he couldn’t refuse!
I’ve never been able to distinguish Superliner I and II from each other. Which kind were those cars?

In order, Superliner II - Superliner II - Superliner I - Superliner I - Superliner I - Superliner II - Superliner I - Superliner I - Superliner I

This can help:

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#5 Pere Flyer

Pere Flyer

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Interests:Writing, dancing, traveling

Posted 11 June 2018 - 12:02 PM

Thanks for the video. Wow. I’d imagined the difference was more pronounced than a simple difference in truck design.

Pere Marquette: 370 (CHI, HOM, GRR); 371 (GRR, HOM, CHI) | Heartland Flyer: 821 (OKC, NOR, FTW); 822 (FTW, NOR, OKC) | Texas Eagle: 21 (CHI, FTW, SAS); 22 (SAS, FTW, AUS, CHI) Cardinal: 50 (CHI, IND, CIN)

SS Line | TRE | DART | MTA | NJT | DC Metro | MBTA | CTA | RTD | MARTA | QLine | Paris Métropolitain | Barcelona Metro | GLI | Jefferson Lines | Ambustitution

#6 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,666 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:41 PM

Thanks for the video. Wow. I’d imagined the difference was more pronounced than a simple difference in truck design.

I imagine there are more differences, but the trucks are the most notable.

• Pere Flyer likes this

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#7 Agent

Agent

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 06:19 PM

On Wednesday, I caught these cars returning east on Amtrak #6(18).  Before they came through Agency, the Zephyr spent over an hour at the Ottumwa station trying to connect to the PTC system.  Took a while just to get the BNSF PTC Desk on the radio.  I was too far away to pick up the Amtrak crew on the radio scanner.  The voices that are heard over the radio are the BNSF dispatcher, then the PTC Desk at 1:25 (first heard trying to address Amtrak as "BNSF 6"), and then eventually both.

The part with the Patrick Henry cars starts at 7:50.

#8 Dakota 400

Dakota 400

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 07:04 PM

On Wednesday, I caught these cars returning east on Amtrak #6(18).  Before they came through Agency, the Zephyr spent over an hour at the Ottumwa station trying to connect to the PTC system.  Took a while just to get the BNSF PTC Desk on the radio.  I was too far away to pick up the Amtrak crew on the radio scanner.  The voices that are heard over the radio are the BNSF dispatcher, then the PTC Desk at 1:25 (first heard trying to address Amtrak as "BNSF 6"), and then eventually both.

The part with the Patrick Henry cars starts at 7:50.

Please accept my appreciation for your patience in waiting for the arrival at your location of this train so that you could record it.  Thanks!

#9 Agent

Agent

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 10:14 AM

Please accept my appreciation for your patience in waiting for the arrival at your location of this train so that you could record it.  Thanks!

Thank you.  The hardest part was waiting while nothing was being said over the radio.  It was better once I knew what was going on.

#10 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 12:13 PM

Thank you--nice train, and you always do a great job of showing both the close-ups and the larger picture. :)

Where on earth are those two people going, though? Crossing the tracks and totally oblivious to the train coming, and why there? Is there a town or some other place they would go hidden around the corner?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users