Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Anyone travelled Amtrak on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:21 AM

I think all the Xmas day Amtrak trains are diverted via the North Pole, so that Santa can give out the presents. It is possible that I may be misinformed!

Ed.

#22 snvboy

snvboy

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:spores, molds, and fungus

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:38 AM

Of the few that have travelled on Christmas day was that deliberate choice or just it was the day that fitted into a schedule?

Anderson, can't make the trees of aluminium this year as it would cost too much, the tariffs are too high... sorry, couldn't resist that.

Was a deliberate choice. Since nobody wants to travel on Christmas day itself, there are some amazing deals to be had.

#23 stappend

stappend

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:47 AM

I took the Lake Shore Limited in 2000 at Christmas.  There was a blizzard and we got to Chicago very late, catching a very late City of New Orleans, and got to downstate Illinois at 4am on Christmas day.  We were just happy the train was running at all, as nothing else was moving.  Even in 2000 when service was much better than it is now, I don't recall anything special about the train at Christmas.  At New Years I've seen the dinning car staff do some modest decorating.  

#24 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:21 AM

My trip was on purpose in order to ride the 1950s equipment.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#25 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,614 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:22 AM

Maybe this year, Amtrak will have a contemporary tree in every dining car.

So, made of aluminum?

I think they'll probably just shape a tree out of any leftover yogurt from the CL and LSL that year. The greener the better!

• me_little_me likes this

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#26 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,033 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:08 AM

I've traveled with Amtrak on several holidays including Thanksgiving, Xmas, and New Years.  Other than the discontinued holiday meal that wasn't specific to any given day it's generally been roughly the same experience as any other trip. Which is pretty much the same thing as you find when flying on a holiday.  Occasionally there's an elf hat or a light string or some garland taped to the wall/ceiling but that's about it.  I think most people are just trying to get where they're going. I've seen this and similar questions asked many times but I'm not sure where the idea of a "holiday party train" comes from.  It must have been before my time or in another part of the country/world.

#27 RichieRich

RichieRich

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:21 AM

Being a super-regular on the AT, yes...every Holiday including every Xmas Eve. We string colored lites in both rooms. Dinner the same. We bring a battery mini-Xmas tree table decoration at dinner. Coming back occasionally on New Years Eve, balloons and streamers (others did that too). Would add a few more bottles of champagne for any rooms nearby that stop in.

A fun thing is: I have a clip on my laptop (I bring to the Lounge car.).. from White Xmas where Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye sing the Snow song IN A TRAIN LOUNGE CAR!

Attached Files

Edited by RichieRich, 11 June 2018 - 10:47 AM.

#28 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:22 AM

Besides traveling home on business on a late train on Christmas Eve, I did remember that the only Christmas day travel was departing Chicago Christmas afternoon after Santa came for our kids early morning.  Thinking about it, nothing special happened, except a few cheerful "Merry Christmas" greetings from those who had to work on their Christmas.  

#29 TiBike

TiBike

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:59 AM

It was on purpose. Spent Christmas Day with family, and turned it into a mini train/bike tour.

Of the few that have travelled on Christmas day was that deliberate choice or just it was the day that fitted into a schedule?

Coast Starlight • California Zephyr • Crescent • Lake Shore Limited • San Joaquin • Capitol Corridor • Pacific Surfliner

Shinkansen • TranzAlpine (NZ) • Northern Explorer (NZ) • Coastal Pacific (NZ) • Great Southern Rail Overland (Oz) • Tze-Chiang Limited (ROC) • Thello Venice-Paris

#30 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:58 PM

I think a lot depends on the mood of the crew. The crew I had on VIA 15 was in an incredibly good mood. Most were passing thru the railroad life on the way to other fields and they all seamed to enjoy their job. That train was special because they were warm, hospitable, and inviting. It wasn't any of the "what do you want" service that I've frequently had on Amtrak.

So I think a lot of it has to do with the crew. The part on the passengers revolves around the crew as well because an inviting crew puts people at ease. And once in a relaxed and more jovial mood I think the passengers are more welcoming and talkative themselves.
  • Devil's Advocate likes this
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#31 Manny T

Manny T

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:12 PM

On Dec. 24, 2013 I took the CL to Wash DC, arriving Dec. 25.

I did the same on Dec. 24, 2014, arriving Dec. 25th 40 mins ahead of schedule.

I did it again the next year (2015), arriving this time on Dec. 25th 45 mins ahead of schedule.

I skipped 2016 but took the CL on Dec. 24, 2017, arriving in DC on time on Dec. 25.

On each trip, I ate dinner in the dining car at the first seating. On no occasion was there any special menu, any departure from the ordinary menu, any decoration of the season, nor anything other than ordinary Amtrak service.

The trains were a little less crowded than normal, and as noted occasionally we arrived ahead of schedule. I am guessing this was because of lighter freight on Dec. 24-25.

Edited by Manny T, 12 June 2018 - 09:46 AM.

#32 JoeBas

JoeBas

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 03:16 PM

Maybe this year, Amtrak will have a contemporary tree in every dining car.

This... your breadless lunchmeat will come with a red and green ribbon on the box instead of string... :P

#33 oregon pioneer

oregon pioneer

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts
  • Interests:Cross-country skiing, forestry, botany, solar power, gardening and food!

Posted 11 June 2018 - 03:17 PM

We did a Christmas day transfer a few years back, from the Sunset Ltd. to the Coast Starlight, at LAX. Even Philippe's was not open, so we trekked across the city to a deli that's open 365 days a year.

No special decorations or meals on either of the trains, except what the train staff might do themselves. As others have said, a light passenger load and no freight traffic at all.

Here's my report from that part of the trip, complete with what the train staff did to liven things up:

http://discuss.amtra...oast-starlight/

Edited by oregon pioneer, 11 June 2018 - 03:34 PM.

Jennifer

I'm a "little Old Lady in Tennis Shoes" (LOLITS) from Eastern Oregon. I love to travel by train, though I live way out in the toolies, far from the nearest Amtrak station (Chemult). My station would have been Baker City, but they cancelled the Oregon Pioneer just before I took my first long-distance train trip as an adult. I've taken most trains in the West, but I'm still exploring new routes in the east.

#34 mlanoue

mlanoue

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 03:27 PM

We took the CZ from Chicago to Emeryville--departing on Christmas Day in 2015.  It seemed a pretty full train to me.  Nothing special was going on from what I could tell; people seemed to be in a relatively good mood.  

The reason we traveled on that day was because I was using AGR 1.0 points, and Christmas Day was one of the only non-blackout dates that entire holiday period.

It was a great trip!

#35 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 04:22 PM

On Dec. 24, 2013 I took the CL to Wash DC, arriving Dec. 25.

On Dec. 24, 2014, I took the CL to Wash DC, arriving Dec. 25 (40 mins ahead of schedule).

On Dec. 24, 2015, I took the CL to Wash DC, arriving Dec. 25 (45 mins ahead of schedule).

In 2016, I didn't take the CL to Wash DC on Dec. 24

On Dec. 24, 2017, I took the CL to Wash DC, arriving Dec. 25.

On each trip, I ate dinner in the dining car at the first seating. On no occasion was there any special menu, any departure from the ordinary menu, any decoration of the season, nor anything other than ordinary Amtrak service. The trains were a little less crowded than normal, and as noted occasionally we arrived ahead of schedule.

I don't remember the special holiday meals after the early 2000's.

#36 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,587 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 11 June 2018 - 04:34 PM

Before 2015, I traveled on several LD Trains on Holidays including Thanksgiving and Christmas Day,( using AGR Points to avoid the Blackout days)and enjoyed,special Dinners in the Diner and decorations by the Crews.

As others said, the passenger loads we're light, and freight traffic was really sparse resulting in Early arrivals into most Stations.😎

Perhaps the New Fresh "Choices" Menu will have some Cold Turkey and Dressing as a Holiday Brightner? NOT!
  • oregon pioneer and cpotisch like this
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#37 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,451 posts
  • Interests:Writing, reading, baking, trivia, adventures, historic preservation

Posted 11 June 2018 - 05:51 PM

Thanksgiving and Christmas are just another day to me, so traveling on those dates is no big deal. I like the cheap fares and low passenger loads.

• oregon pioneer likes this
Amtrak Miles: 48,312

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#38 MikefromCrete

MikefromCrete

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 05:56 PM

I was surprised that trains ran on Xmas day anyway, don't usually in the UK. Then I was curious if Amtrak created a 'Christmas' diner or observation car or was it just business as usual?

I find  it that very interesting that the British rail system basically shuts down on Christmas Day (and Boxing Day also, I believe). I find it hard to believe that everybody wants to stay home on those two days. What about buses and the underground? Airplanes? 

Edited by MikefromCrete, 11 June 2018 - 05:56 PM.

#39 WICT106

WICT106

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:00 PM

Yes, I have -- Traveling out from Saint Cloud, MN, there were a couple of Christmases where the train was late ( by a couple hours ), so I could see the engineer appear in a Santa Claus outfit while driving the train.  The engineer would ring the engine bell a couple more times than usual.  He appeared to be having a good time.  Unfortunately, I cannot recall one single instance of the train being on time on Christmas day.  The trains at Chicago and DC were packed.  

"Be bold and courageous. When you look back on your life, you'll regret the things you didn't do more than the ones you did." - Unknown

#40 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,614 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:49 PM

What about buses and the underground? Airplanes? 

The tube runs on Christmas, but on a reduced schedule. Some buses still run. And finally, a quick search on Skyscanner tells me that hundreds of flights will be flying throughout England.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users