Some (Unannounced) Cancellation for 6/10 and 6/11/2018

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was announced to the impacted passengers. A few weeks ago, actually. It was also announced on this board. Here is the thread listing the entire plan:

Richmond, VA Track Work June 10-12, 2018

Twropr was even kind enough to tell why the trains are cancelled. This should be the last phase of the Acca Bypass project.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then again, I have not yet quite figured out what exact purpose that "Service Alert" section serves, since the stuff placed there is so hit and miss, and half the time totally absent.

Thirdrail, is there anyone that is actually in charge of maintaining that Service Alert space on the web site, or is it sort of an "As and when we canly" affair? The uninitiated might take away an impression that it is the latter.

Then again, I have not yet quite figured out what exact purpose that "Service Alert" section serves, since the stuff placed there is so hit and miss, and half the time totally absent.
It's sort of like a "Hey! This might give you a decent approximation of what service looks like tomorrow. Good luck!" kind of thing. It's better to have that than not have it at all, but it's certainly not a reliable resource.

I stand corrected. It is not currently posted on Amtrak's Service Alerts and Notices webpage.

jb
I have the sneaky suspicion you won't see much of that stuff on the web page anymore.

Thirdrail, is there anyone that is actually in charge of maintaining that Service Alert space on the web site, or is it sort of an "As and when we canly" affair? The uninitiated might take away an impression that it is the latter.

I'm noticing the usage of that page has changed. As of late, it has been used for extended outages and emergency service disruptions. As such, something like this two day project (and a few others wouldn't) pop up.

Reserved passengers are being informed via their method of contact and the space is blocked for future sale.

Realistically, a nationwide announcement probably isn't needed when there are so many ways to directly communicate the disruption.

I agree that a national dashboard of outages is unnecessary, and also agree that it is better to have some information rather than none. It would be useful though to make the purpose of an announcement board quite clear as to what it is and what it isn't. I have never been able to quite get my head around what is the exact purpose of the web site board.

It seems to me that the primary information mechanisms are direct communication to those that hold reservations that are affected and notification in proposed itineraries for those trying to make a reservation (e.g. an attempt to reserve a seat on 92 today from Orlando to Raleigh comes up with "Cancelled")

I agree that a national dashboard of outages is unnecessary, and also agree that it is better to have some information rather than none. It would be useful though to make the purpose of an announcement board quite clear as to what it is and what it isn't. I have never been able to quite get my head around what is the exact purpose of the web site board.
I hear you, buddy. I used to have someone I could inform when things on the website went hokey. They've been disorganized....I think that is the term, wasn't it?

It seems to me that the primary information mechanisms are direct communication to those that hold reservations that are affected and notification in proposed itineraries for those trying to make a reservation (e.g. an attempt to reserve a seat on 92 today from Orlando to Raleigh comes up with "Cancelled")
Wait...shouldn't it say "Sold Out?"
default_ph34r.png
default_hi.gif
default_help.gif

I hear you, buddy. I used to have someone I could inform when things on the website went hokey. They've been disorganized....I think that is the term, wasn't it?

Wait...shouldn't it say "Sold Out?"
default_ph34r.png
default_hi.gif
default_help.gif
Isn't "Sold Out" used when they're not sure if the train will be "Cancelled". I would think by this morning they knew train was cancelled.
default_wink.png

I stand corrected. It is not currently posted on Amtrak's Service Alerts and Notices webpage.

jb
I have the sneaky suspicion you won't see much of that stuff on the web page anymore.

I'm noticing the usage of that page has changed. As of late, it has been used for extended outages and emergency service disruptions. As such, something like this two day project (and a few others wouldn't) pop up.

Reserved passengers are being informed via their method of contact and the space is blocked for future sale.

Realistically, a nationwide announcement probably isn't needed when there are so many ways to directly communicate the disruption.
The personal notifications work okay unless a person holds a Multi-Ride ticket which requires no reservations.

Are those type of tickets sold elsewhere besides here in NC?.

jb

Back