Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Sleeper Car has been removed from train #11 (6/17)

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 09 June 2018 - 01:23 PM

Hasn't travel on the Coast Starlight been disrupted because of the tunnel collapse in Northern California? Perhaps the sleepers have been removed because the overnight portion of the trip has been displaced with buses. Ridership probably has dropped because of the bus detour and one or more of the sleepers have been temporarily canceled. 

I believe that the collapse is actually in Oregon. Tunnel 11 by Odell Lake, near Oakridge Oregon.

That tunnel is normally passed late morning on #14 and early evening on #11.

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

5540 miles booked for this fall on the Sunset Limited, City of New Orleans, Illini/Saluki, Southwest Chief.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/

#22 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 09 June 2018 - 01:39 PM

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time” - John Lyndgate

Stated in modern terms - **** Happens !

Edited by KmH, 09 June 2018 - 01:47 PM.

• Chey and TiBike like this

California Zephyr • Coast Starlight  • Southwest Chief • Sunset Limited • Texas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr • Capitol Corridor

. . . . Amtrak miles - 23,703, so far.

#23 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,414 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 09 June 2018 - 02:18 PM

No, the only benefit that depends on fewer people is #3, having two seats to yourself.

It is, but I'm pretty sure the hard product is identical to coach. BC pax get a $6 voucher for the diner or cafe, and two water bottles, but it seems like everything else is identical to coach. I personally believe that the best thing would be to try for a sleeper on another day, or try for a refund.

Five other differences: 1. fellow passengers are quieter (although you can still go to the lounge if that's not your thing), 2. the BC car is usually cleaner, 3. better chance of having two seats to yourself, 4. WiFi, 5. 50/50 chance of having an attendant who actually attends.

Differences 1), 3), and 5) all rely on there being only a few people in BC. If many people decide to travel business class, you lose all those benefits. I've never liked a service that relies on it not selling well for there to be any advantage of it.

What tells you that passengers are automatically quieter in business class? If the car is full then why would it be any quieter than coach? And what tells you that the attendants in business class are any more attentive than in coach? Unless the car is pretty empty, in which case the attendant would have more time for each passenger, I don't see why you'd get any better service in BC.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#24 TiBike

TiBike

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 03:07 PM

Have you ever ridden business class on the Starlight? It's usually quieter because the people who pay the extra money are quieter. That might be an elitist observation, but it is no less true for it.

Some BC attendants do the job as if they were in coach: largely in absentia. You'll see them once when you get on the train and they tell you "take any seat you want upstairs". If you want anything else, you have track them down.

Other BC attendants put considerable effort into looking after passengers (and earn tips accordingly). They're the ones who make sure you have water, a pillow, a voucher and a wifi password (not written on the voucher). They're also the ones who smoothed your way into the PPC, assuming their colleagues were amenable. It doesn't take a lot of time or effort to make passengers feel welcome and well looked after. My experience is that about half the BC attendants are willing to put in that time and effort.

• Walt, Triley, seat38a and 1 other like this

Coast Starlight • California Zephyr • Crescent • Lake Shore Limited • San Joaquin • Capitol Corridor • Pacific Surfliner

Shinkansen • TranzAlpine (NZ) • Northern Explorer (NZ) • Coastal Pacific (NZ) • Great Southern Rail Overland (Oz) • Tze-Chiang Limited (ROC) • Thello Venice-Paris

#25 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, And Web App Development

Posted 09 June 2018 - 08:44 PM

To everyone suggesting I should try sleeper on another day- please do not assume everyone on this forum is a retiree and taking the train just for fun! I cannot do another day, I have places to reach and work to do. It is a commentary on how bad/unreliable Amtrak is when multiple people's first reaction is "just go another day" as if schedules mean nothing!

I am going to have to look for a flight (which are all pretty expensive since it is only a week from travel date) or do a one-way rental car.

I have done LAX-OKJ in coach before, it's not that I cannot endure it, rather I booked this trip specifically to do it in a sleeper roomette to travel relaxed enjoying the beautiful views so it's a bummer that Amtrak randomly decided to remove all sleeper accommodation. 

Now the question is, how to get Amtrak to issue me at least a full refund if nothing more, when I am finally able to reach them on phone. Currently on my 4th attempt with a total of 1+ hour of "hold" time and still listening to hold music. Does anyone know an alternate phone number to reach Customer Relations or some such? I reached out to their Twitter account too but no response.

I completely stopped taking Amtrak for anything related to business/work. For over a year and a half I used to take the Surfliner for work but over the last year and a half, the trains have really become unreliable. If its not mechanical, its a little rain or something or someone unauthorized on the tracks. Unfortunately unless you got couple of days free before or after the day you want to travel, and got nothing better to do, Amtrak is becoming less of a travel option.

• cpotisch likes this

#26 IndyLions

IndyLions

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 08:44 PM

Every BC experience I’ve ever had on every Amtrak train that offers it is superior to coach. And I travel Business on Amtrak when I can. I also sent my daughters to college on 16+ hour overnights in BC. Why are certain posters so hell bent to have BC eliminated? In my opinion it is the only legitimate alternative to sleepers (yes, even on a day time trip) because of all the reasons that TiBike lists. If you don’t think it is a value - don’t choose it. But don’t dismiss the option because it meets other people’s criteria but not your own.

Edited by IndyLions, 09 June 2018 - 09:10 PM.

• Triley, Devil's Advocate, seat38a and 3 others like this

#27 Pere Flyer

Pere Flyer

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:Writing, dancing, traveling

Posted 09 June 2018 - 09:14 PM

Every BC experience I’ve ever had on every Amtrak train that offers it is superior to coach. And I travel Business on Amtrak when I can.

I agree that BC on single-level trains is superior to coach, mainly for the split cafe/BC and 2-1 searing on Horizon cars. But BC on Superliners is not markedly superior to coach. On the Pere Marquette, a Superliner route, BC is just a regular coach seat with a dog-eared sign Velcro’d above it. No instruction on complimentary drinks or Wi-Fi.

Pere Marquette: 370 (CHI, HOM, GRR); 371 (GRR, HOM, CHI) | Heartland Flyer: 821 (OKC, NOR, FTW); 822 (FTW, NOR, OKC) | Texas Eagle: 21 (FTW, SAS); 22 (SAS, FTW, AUS, CHI) Cardinal: 50 (CHI, IND, CIN)

SS Line | TRE | DART | MTA | NJT | DC Metro | MBTA | CTA | RTD | MARTA | QLine | Paris Métropolitain | Barcelona Metro | GLI | Jefferson Lines | Ambustitution

#28 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 09:22 PM

Every BC experience I’ve ever had on every Amtrak train that offers it is superior to coach. And I travel Business on Amtrak when I can.

I agree that BC on single-level trains is superior to coach, mainly for the split cafe/BC and 2-1 searing on Horizon cars. But BC on Superliners is not markedly superior to coach. On the Pere Marquette, a Superliner route, BC is just a regular coach seat with a dog-eared sign Velcro’d above it. No instruction on complimentary drinks or Wi-Fi.

Unfortunately BC service and seats are all over the place but it seems on Pere Marquette, it looks like BC tickets are fully refundable. This isn't the case on all BC tickets. I guess the perk is the full refundability of the ticket.

#29 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 12:48 AM

So I finally managed to get to an Amtrak agent on the phone. He confirmed that due to "some problems" the Coast Starlight is only running between Sacramento and Los Angeles and there are no sleeper cars available to use (where did they leave all the sleeper cars? In the Oakland yard?).

I'm not sure where they are being left, but the sleepers and the dining car will be removed until the outage is over.  I guess someone thought that since this basically amounts to a 14 hour, in state day trip, the resources are best utilized elsewhere.

He did not know for how long it is going to continue like this, and surprisingly, in true incompetent Amtrak style, there is ZERO mention of this major disruption on Amtrak's Service Disruption webpage- https://www.amtrak.c...rts-and-notices. The only CS related advisory is related to trackwork in Oregon which is a different problem than this curtailed sleeper-less service. 

The advisory you posted is the root of the problems. The track work had a bus bridge working between two points. Then, part of the tunnel collapsed. UP (the host) announced several estimated dates of completion. None of them have come to fruition and as of yesterday, the outage is indefinite, with a continuous curfew.

This new operating plan was literally just published and the affected passengers are supposed to be notified. It may take a little more time to update the website.

Besides, I can't wait to see the announcement. I'm sure it will be a winner and these things take time.

"Ride our contemporary train from LAX-SAC"

"The Dining and Sleeping Cars normally assigned to the Coast Starlight will undergo maintenance"

"We regret the loss of services on the Coast Starlight during this outage but it'll be back stronger than ever. Wait until you see our new dining car menu. They love it out east!!"

Edited by Thirdrail7, 10 June 2018 - 01:09 AM.

• daybeers and cpotisch like this

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#30 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 12:54 AM

So I finally managed to get to an Amtrak agent on the phone. He confirmed that due to "some problems" the Coast Starlight is only running between Sacramento and Los Angeles and there are no sleeper cars available to use (where did they leave all the sleeper cars? In the Oakland yard?).

I'm not sure where they are being left, but the sleepers and the dining car will be removed until the outage is over.  I guess someone thought that since this basically amounts to a 14 hour, in state day trip, the resources are best utilized elsewhere.

He did not know for how long it is going to continue like this, and surprisingly, in true incompetent Amtrak style, there is ZERO mention of this major disruption on Amtrak's Service Disruption webpage- https://www.amtrak.c...rts-and-notices. The only CS related advisory is related to trackwork in Oregon which is a different problem than this curtailed sleeper-less service. 

The advisory you posted is the root of the problems. The track work had a bus bridge working between two points. Then, part of the tunnel collapsed. UP (the host) announced several estimated dates of completion. None of them have come to fruition and as of yesterday, the outage is indefinite, with a continuous curfew.

This new operating plan was literally announced and the affected passengers are supposed to be notified. It may take a little more time to update the website.

Besides, I can't wait to see the announcement. I'm sure it will be a winner and these things take time.

"The Dining and Sleeping Cars normally assigned to the Coast Starlight will undergo maintenance"

"We regret the loss of services on the Coast Starlight during this outage but it'll be back stronger than ever. Wait until you see our new dining car menu. They love it out east!!"

So the Coast Daylight is back in a way.  ;)

• Chey likes this

#31 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Interests:Computers, riding trains/travel, watching movies/sporting events, listening to music/speeches/talk radio, reading

Posted 10 June 2018 - 01:02 AM

How will this affect my late July trip? Earliest planned is July 21.

Trains taken (US): Coast Starlight, San Joaquins, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Hoosier State, California Zephyr, Sunset Limited, SP4449 excursion 2015
Current Amtrak mileage: 37099 miles

#32 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Interests:Computers, riding trains/travel, watching movies/sporting events, listening to music/speeches/talk radio, reading

Posted 10 June 2018 - 01:05 AM

Also what are the blocking ranges on the reservation system?

Trains taken (US): Coast Starlight, San Joaquins, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Hoosier State, California Zephyr, Sunset Limited, SP4449 excursion 2015

#33 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 06:04 AM

How will this affect my late July trip? Earliest planned is July 21.

Unless someone who works for the UP railroad is on here, you're not going to get the answer here.  There seem to be more railroaders on other forums.

• Triley likes this

#34 spinnaker

spinnaker

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 09:49 AM

It could be worse.   The southbound from Eugene to Sacramento is cancelled for a bunch of days next week.   I am not leaving till July 1.   I hope they have things straightened out by then and I don't need to get on a bus.

#35 anir dendroica

anir dendroica

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 10:15 AM

Also what are the blocking ranges on the reservation system?

Currently I can book both northbound and southbound starting June 18.

#36 anumberone

anumberone

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 01:11 AM

I think it's time for somebody to put their big boy pants on and make arrangements to get LAX the best way he feels comfortable with. The prior plans are not happening.

Edited by anumberone, 12 June 2018 - 01:11 AM.

• zepherdude likes this

#37 philabos

philabos

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:34 PM

Here is the service alert from Union Pacific

https://www.up.com/c.../CN2018-15.html

#38 rspenmoll

rspenmoll

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 11:19 PM

I assume the state of the trackage makes a detour over the Central Oregon and Pacific Railroad (Siskiyou Pass Route/former Oregon and California Line) infeasible?

#39 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:13 AM

I assume the state of the trackage makes a detour over the Central Oregon and Pacific Railroad (Siskiyou Pass Route/former Oregon and California Line) infeasible?

In the Central Oregon trackage, it is due to congestion (BNSF mainline out of K-Falls heading north), and as for the former SP Siskiyou Sub, it is due to track conditions, low speed limits, and clearance issues for Superliners. This is why the Cascades is unlikely to go to the People's Republic of Ashland.

#40 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:14 AM

Are those your quotes, or where did these quotes come from if they are not yours?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users