Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

The choices for the new Long Bridge for VA Rail/Amtrak have narrowed t

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ziv

Ziv

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 07:57 AM

Not sure how many different agencies and organizations were at the meeting Thursday night, but they appear to have narrowed the choices from 5 to 2. Both call for increasing the 2 rail tracks between L'Enfant (LE) and Rosslyn (RO) interlocking to 4 tracks. The only difference is one plan calls for repairing and retaining the current 2 on Long Bridge and adding another 2 track bridge, while the other calls for replacing the current 2 track bridge with 2 new bridges with 2 tracks each. Both plans seem to call for bike lanes and pedestrian lanes to be on a separate bridge closer to the Metro bridge. I believe that south of the current bridge there are between 3 and 4 tracks for a considerable distance, so this may help eliminate a bottle neck and smooth out the scheduling of trains through there. Not sure exactly how many freight trains use this route but it is a lot, seemingly more than Amtrak and VA Rail combined. But that is just a guess derived from the amount of each I see as I drive by.

This sounds like it will allow for more VA Rail trains, not sure how much of an impact it will have on Amtrak, but it won't hurt.

If it gets funded and if it eventually gets completed...

https://www.arlnow.c...ul/#more-203193

Edited by Ziv, 09 June 2018 - 08:02 AM.

#2 MattW

MattW

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 05:31 PM

I'm curious why ripping out the existing Long Bridge is on the table, is it in bad condition?

Forum's official broken record about expanded Georgia passenger service!

#3 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,235 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 10 June 2018 - 05:43 PM

Usually they start with everything on the table and then eliminate alternatives based on documented screening criteria. I bet some significant cost benefit discussions will appear relative to A;ternative B in the next round of evaluation/elimination.

#4 Ziv

Ziv

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:01 AM

I am not certain of this, but I believe that the bridge was built in 1903 and is in pretty bad condition. But I have read another source that said it was built in 1863. I think 1903 is the right year, though. It isn't in as bad a condition as Memorial Bridge, but it is worn out and it may cost about the same to replace it as it would to rebuild it.

I'm curious why ripping out the existing Long Bridge is on the table, is it in bad condition?

#5 bretton88

bretton88

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:28 AM

I am not certain of this, but I believe that the bridge was built in 1903 and is in pretty bad condition. But I have read another source that said it was built in 1863. I think 1903 is the right year, though. It isn't in as bad a condition as Memorial Bridge, but it is worn out and it may cost about the same to replace it as it would to rebuild it.

It was rehabbed in 1943, but the maintenance costs are pretty high on old structures like this. Sometimes the decrease in maintenance costs can basically make up for the higher cost of replacement.

If I won the lottery, I'd probably build a passenger from nowhere to nowhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users