Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Amtrak Blacklist?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 Cho Cho Charlie

Cho Cho Charlie

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Starships

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:50 PM

I feel like if someone physically assaults an employee (or anyone for that matter), they should be at minimum taken off the train. That person is a hazard to other employees or passengers, and allowing him to ride (especially since he's an unaccompanied minor without the appropriate paperwork) would seem to tell him that his behavior is ok. Forgive me if I'm missing something, since I seem to be in the minority here, but that's my take on the situation.

I would agree with you. Given that the police, after careful evaluation of the situation, talking with those involved, talking with witnesses, made the decision to not take the boys off the train. That judgment by the police tells me a lot about the true severity of what happened (or didn't actually happen).

The police did not remove the boys from the train.

• Devil's Advocate likes this
Me

Proud supporter of the Trails to Rails program.

#62 Triley

Triley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:56 AM

Thanks for the details, though it's clear that you can't really answer my question, which is basically whether the kid was being threatened and harrassed by Amtrak staff *before* shoving the conductor or not.  If she threatened them first, they may have been defending themselves.

Seriously, "not having the proper paperwork" is not really grounds for anything; the bureaucratic hassles which have been set up to prevent kids from traveling on Amtrak are way over the top.  I can easily conceive of a situation where they thought they had all the paperwork and an officious, bureaucratic conductor was hassling them for missing something.

Amtrak's policy is frankly stupid.  If a minor doesn't have a release form signed by the "right adult", the absolute stupidest thing Amtrak can do is to throw them off the train; that'll get them twenty times more lawsuits, and already has landed them with lawsuits and bad press repeatedly.  I don't know what brain-damaged moron wrote Amtrak's unaccompanied minor policy, but they should have copied one of the commuter rail policies; or better yet, subway policies.

So let's just level the playing field and match the policy of US airlines.  Would that be better, or?

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

#63 MARC Rider

MARC Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 04:51 PM

Thanks for the details, though it's clear that you can't really answer my question, which is basically whether the kid was being threatened and harrassed by Amtrak staff *before* shoving the conductor or not.  If she threatened them first, they may have been defending themselves.

Seriously, "not having the proper paperwork" is not really grounds for anything; the bureaucratic hassles which have been set up to prevent kids from traveling on Amtrak are way over the top.  I can easily conceive of a situation where they thought they had all the paperwork and an officious, bureaucratic conductor was hassling them for missing something.

Amtrak's policy is frankly stupid.  If a minor doesn't have a release form signed by the "right adult", the absolute stupidest thing Amtrak can do is to throw them off the train; that'll get them twenty times more lawsuits, and already has landed them with lawsuits and bad press repeatedly.  I don't know what brain-damaged moron wrote Amtrak's unaccompanied minor policy, but they should have copied one of the commuter rail policies; or better yet, subway policies.

So let's just level the playing field and match the policy of US airlines.  Would that be better, or?
We sent our 14 year old daughter off to visit a friend in California back in 2005 or 2006. I don't recall there being any particular red tape required by United Airlines. I ended up getting a gate pass to go out to the gate with her, but I think they would have been fine with her going out by herself. I don't think we bothered to get a gate pass when she came back, we just waited for her at the exit to the secured area. There was no airline employee supervising her or anything, she just followed the signs to the baggage claim.

Edited by MARC Rider, 14 June 2018 - 04:55 PM.

#64 Triley

Triley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:05 PM

We sent our 14 year old daughter off to visit a friend in California back in 2005 or 2006. I don't recall there being any particular red tape required by United Airlines. I ended up getting a gate pass to go out to the gate with her, but I think they would have been fine with her going out by herself. I don't think we bothered to get a gate pass when she came back, we just waited for her at the exit to the secured area. There was no airline employee supervising her or anything, she just followed the signs to the baggage claim.
Maybe they changed the policy, but 14 and under is required to jump through all the hoops, and pay an additional $150.

https://www.united.c...rs/default.aspx

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

#65 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:44 PM

Maybe they changed the policy, but 14 and under is required to jump through all the hoops, and pay an additional $150.

https://www.united.c...rs/default.aspx

I thought they did change the policy...

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#66 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:04 PM

My question is, since all of this was reported to Amtrak headquarters, I would think that the offender's name would be put into the reservation system denoting him as someone who will never be allowed to ride Amtrak again.  Is there such a blacklist?jb

Since the person wasn't immediately moved from the train, there may not be a basis for putting him on a no travel "blacklist."

• Pere Flyer and cpotisch like this

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users