Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Carnival Corp acquires White Pass' Port, Railroad-Skagway, AK

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:12 AM

Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK), the world's largest leisure travel company, through its subsidiary, Holland America Princess Alaska Tours, announced today it has entered into a purchase and sale agreement to acquire TWC Enterprises Limited's White Pass & Yukon Route (WP&YR) division, which includes White Pass' port, railroad and retail operations in Skagway,

http://markets.busin...aska-1001769920

Edited by pennyk, 07 June 2018 - 11:03 AM.
correct quote

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

5540 miles booked for this fall on the Sunset Limited, City of New Orleans, Illini/Saluki, Southwest Chief.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/

#2 Dakota 400

Dakota 400

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 03:50 PM

Thank you for posting this information.  I think it will be a benefit to Carnival Corporation's bottom line.

#3 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,521 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 07 June 2018 - 03:53 PM

Interesting.   I would like to see them restore rail operations all the way to Whitehorse, where Holland America Princess already has some bus tour's on to Dawson City and Fairbanks....

• Dakota 400 likes this
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#4 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 07 June 2018 - 03:56 PM

Interesting.   I would like to see them restore rail operations all the way to Whitehorse, where Holland America Princess already has some bus tour's on to Dawson City and Fairbanks....

Would be nice. I've traveled Skagway all the way to Carcross; further would have been nice.

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

5540 miles booked for this fall on the Sunset Limited, City of New Orleans, Illini/Saluki, Southwest Chief.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

#5 Dakota 400

Dakota 400

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 06:28 PM

Maybe in the future?  Your suggestion is a great one.  If you own CCL stock, may I suggest that a letter to the Lead Director of CCL with "cc's" to Mr. Donald and Mr. Kruse ought to be mailed.

#6 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,521 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 08:39 PM

I recall when the WP&Y ran "auto-trains" (and trucks), because there was no highway between Skagway and Whitehorse at the time...

So now, it probably would be nice, but not a good decision, business wise, to restore all those dormant miles, when there is a parallel highway....

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#7 bretton88

bretton88

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 03:09 PM

Can you do a same day turn skagway to Whitehorse? I would think carnival is only interested in day excursions for the cruise passengers.

If I won the lottery, I'd probably build a passenger from nowhere to nowhere.

#8 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 03:19 PM

Can you do a same day turn skagway to Whitehorse? I would think carnival is only interested in day excursions for the cruise passengers.

At present, you cant travel beyond Carcross, YT to Whitehorse (by train). My trip a few years ago, we did the "Bennett Scenic Journey" to Carcross (train up) and a van back down. The alternate day, its van up and train back down from Carcross. We booked through a tour company outside of our cruise (NCL) because the cruise didn't offer anything that went beyond Fraser, BC.

Edited by FrensicPic, 08 June 2018 - 03:29 PM.

John...

#9 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,521 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 12:05 PM

Holland America Princess, still has a small base for tours out of Whitehorse, that go to Dawson City, with connecting flight to Fairbanks.   They no longer drive from Dawson City to Fairbanks, nor travel the Alaskan Hiway from Whitehorse to Fairbanks.   They even sold their Westmark hotels in the Yukon.   But if they extended the WP&Y back to Whitehorse, I could see that as a means to rejuvenate that whole operation to what it once was...

Alaskan cruises and tours grow each year in popularity.   Especially with some on the ongoing geopolitical problems to tourism elsewhere....

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#10 bretton88

bretton88

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:14 PM

At present, you cant travel beyond Carcross, YT to Whitehorse (by train). My trip a few years ago, we did the "Bennett Scenic Journey" to Carcross (train up) and a van back down. The alternate day, its van up and train back down from Carcross. We booked through a tour company outside of our cruise (NCL) because the cruise didn't offer anything that went beyond Fraser, BC.
Right, I know you can't get there by train, I'm just saying if passengers couldn't do a same day turnaround, Carnival probably wouldn't be terribly interested in restoring the rails.

If I won the lottery, I'd probably build a passenger from nowhere to nowhere.

#11 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,521 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 02:48 PM

Right, I know you can't get there by train, I'm just saying if passengers couldn't do a same day turnaround, Carnival probably wouldn't be terribly interested in restoring the rails.

From Carcross to Whitehorse is 40 miles.   So they could probably do at least one round trip from Skagway, if they started fairly early.   And they could also carry one-way passengers that would be taking longer, multi day tours from Whitehorse...

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users