Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

5 people injured after Amtrak Keystone strikes tractor (5/5/18)

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:43 PM

While everyone was discussing yogurt and boxed lunches, this occurred. The Keystone Corridor is largely sealed but this private crossing remains.

Attached File  34479785_1921803698110621_5705225081861439488_n.jpg   43.98KB   37 downloads

Attached File  34447247_1921803834777274_6471418475481923584_n.jpg   10.7KB   38 downloads

Click on the link to see more pictures.

5 people injured after Amtrak train strikes tractor at Rapho Township crossing

Several people were injured after an Amtrak train hit a tractor in a Rapho Township crossing Tuesday morning.

The crash happened two miles east of the Mount Joy station at Bender's Crossing, at 10:32 a.m., according to Amtrak spokeswoman Beth Toll.

The farm tractor was upended by the train, according to Lancaster County-Wide Communications dispatch reports. Debris was scattered on the track

This link has a video which shows the aftermath.

Amtrak train strikes tractor in Lancaster County, firefighter says ‘it could’ve been a lot worse’

RAPHO TOWNSHIP, LANCASTER COUNTY, Pa. --  The Amtrak Police Department is investigating a train crash out of Lancaster County tonight.

Authorities say a train struck a farm tractor that was on the tracks this morning.

After hearing about the incident, some people in Rapho Township worried what might have happened to the driver.

A Deputy Fire Chief who responded to the crash says the driver only suffered a minor head injury.

"It could’ve been a lot worse," said Jason Sauder,  the Deputy Fire Chief of West Hempfield Township Fire Department.

Sauder responded to the crash.

"With my background, with what I do, it makes your adrenaline rush a little more because it sort of hits home," he explained.

Hitting home because Sauder is both a volunteer firefighter and a farmer himself.

I thought PTC(ACSES), inward facing cameras and outward facing cameras were supposed to fix all of these issues. :ph34r: :huh: ...withdrawn!!

• Seaboard92 and daybeers like this

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#2 frequentflyer

frequentflyer

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:45 PM

Glad there were no fatalities. Scratch one more Metroliner cab car.

#3 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,780 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:06 PM

I thought PTC(ACSES), inward facing cameras and outward facing cameras were supposed to fix all of these issues.

How is PTC supposed to prevent a fast moving passenger train from impacting a carelessly operated non-conducting commercial vehicle?  Best case scenario PTC hits the breaks right as Old MacDonald fouls the crossing and...impact!  That being said, PTC is still an important and necessary upgrade in the wake of so many otherwise preventable accidents and disasters so I guess I'm struggling to understand whatever joke or criticism you're trying to make here.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 06 June 2018 - 04:25 PM.

• daybeers likes this

#4 fairviewroad

fairviewroad

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,203 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:37 PM

That private crossing needs to be closed ASAP. Trains zip through there at 110 mph, IINM. Silly to have such a weak link in what is otherwise a modern high(ish)-speed corridor.

• railiner likes this

#5 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,954 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:56 PM

That private crossing needs to be closed ASAP. Trains zip through there at 110 mph, IINM. Silly to have such a weak link in what is otherwise a modern high(ish)-speed corridor.

Closing it could cost Amtrak a lot of money. This crossing dates from the Pennsylvania Railroad days. This farm has no other access in or out, and I bet the PRR granted the access for a long, long term. If Amtrak wants to get rid of it, they likely would have to purchase property rights and build a road to provide access between this farm and a public road. I bet that Amtrak would be responsible for 100% of that cost.

#6 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,974 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 06 June 2018 - 05:35 PM

They should build a wall....and make the farmer pay for it....( :P)

• Ryan, zepherdude, me_little_me and 3 others like this
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#7 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 05:37 PM

I thought PTC(ACSES), inward facing cameras and outward facing cameras were supposed to fix all of these issues.

How is PTC supposed to prevent a fast moving passenger train from impacting a carelessly operated non-conducting commercial vehicle?  Best case scenario PTC hits the breaks right as Old MacDonald fouls the crossing and...impact!  That being said, PTC is still an important and necessary upgrade in the wake of so many otherwise preventable accidents and disasters so I guess I'm struggling to understand whatever joke or criticism you're trying to make here.

That was sarcasm since the answer to a lot questions and the big push has been Ptc and cameras.

Obviously I know PTC and cameras would not have helped but they are often pushed and regarded as the saviors.
  • Acela150 and Seaboard92 like this

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#8 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,805 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:03 PM

But the Phasor at the highest setting might have done the trick with one disappearance.
  • AmtrakBlue likes this

#9 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,294 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:28 PM

That was sarcasm since the answer to a lot questions and the big push has been Ptc and cameras.

Obviously I know PTC and cameras would not have helped but they are often pushed and regarded as the saviors.

TR I instantly got the joke.

I remember riding in a cab car like this during my qualifying runs. The one engineer taught me how to bail out of the cab in case something like this would happen. These things are death traps. IMO.
These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#10 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:27 PM

Thirdrail7 how is the engineer doing? And the rest of the crew. Hopefully not too injured but I'm sure they are shaken up.

I instantly got your joke as well. Cab cars are in most cases death traps. I personally don't like cab cars for this reason alone. These cars themselves actually predate Amtrak having been ordered by the Pennsylvania Railroad and delivered to the Penn Central. More modern cab cars might be safer but I still am not a fan of them.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#11 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:48 PM

Since the State of Pennsylvania is paying Amtrak for this service, could the state close all Private crossings along the 110 MPH route? 

#12 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,954 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:17 AM

Since the State of Pennsylvania is paying Amtrak for this service, could the state close all Private crossings along the 110 MPH route? 

This is the only private or public crossing on the route.  Since this farm has no public highway access other than by using this crossing, I suspect the crossing agreement requires the crossing to remain unless new public highway access is established at someone's expense.  That someone could be Amtrak, PennDOT, or whoever.  That someone almost certainly not the farm. If it was as simple as giving the farm 180 days to find another access and closing the crossing, they would have done that years ago.

#13 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 07 June 2018 - 08:15 AM

Cab cars are in most cases death traps. I personally don't like cab cars for this reason alone.

Sorry, why are they death traps? Is it just that they have less of a crumple zone than most locomotives?

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#14 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,805 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 08:23 AM

https://www.google.c...8!4d-76.4794435

The farm house in the left middle of this frame, just across the track below the "Cargill Animal Feed Mill" sign, is the one in question. The crossing north of it is the location of the accident.

One solution appears to be to build a mile long road along the RR ROW to what is marked as Eby Chiques Road, east of the farm. It will lengthen their commute to Mount Joy considerably, but it will be completely safe, with no chance of colliding with a train.

#15 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,780 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 08:42 AM

Closing it could cost Amtrak a lot of money. This crossing dates from the Pennsylvania Railroad days. This farm has no other access in or out, and I bet the PRR granted the access for a long, long term. If Amtrak wants to get rid of it, they likely would have to purchase property rights and build a road to provide access between this farm and a public road. I bet that Amtrak would be responsible for 100% of that cost.

My understanding is that in general the landowner who is granted private crossing access assumes most or all of the liability for incidents and accidents.  At a minimum the railroad and five injured people can potentially make claims against this farm.  Claims which could result in judgements and penalties that would place a serious financial and operational burden on the farm's owners.  Unless the farm is very large or has extensive liability insurance the penalties from these claims might be enough to create a forced sale situation.  Just the threat of permanently losing the farm might be enough to motivate the current owners to accept a new access contract that requires some or all of the grade crossing replacement funding to come from them.

#16 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,196 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:10 AM

It should not cost much to put a simple train operated barrier pole or flashing lights across a farm crossing? 

Ed.

#17 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,805 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:38 AM

In general, it is a bad idea to have grade crossing on 110mph tracks, though there are quite a few around. Yeah, minimally I think they should be protected. They are basically not allowed in any practical way for speeds above 110mph already.

#18 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:00 AM

One solution appears to be to build a mile long road along the RR ROW to what is marked as Eby Chiques Road, east of the farm. It will lengthen their commute to Mount Joy considerably, but it will be completely safe, with no chance of colliding with a train.

Win.

Simple easy solution.

Just got to ask why it has not been done before this wreck.

Edited by Just-Thinking-51, 07 June 2018 - 10:01 AM.

#19 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:24 AM

Could always put in an overpass/underpass.

#20 niemi24s

niemi24s

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:44 AM

Access to and from this farm, however, does not appear to be entirely limited to that crossing at grade where the collision occurred.  Google Earth shows the distance from the farm machine shed North to Highway 230 across the tracks at grade is 0.25 mile.  The other route to the same place on highway 230 is a rather circuitous 4.2 miles and crosses the tracks above grade at a point about 0.9 mile farther East along the tracks.  

[edit] There's another route a bit shorter that crosses the tracks below grade that's West of the collision site.

Edited by niemi24s, 07 June 2018 - 11:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users