Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Leaving AU

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 03:40 PM

Just caught up with this, and many people have beaten me to it, but please, please reconsider. Your posts are a breath of fresh air, you are wise beyond your years, and you have a gift of cutting through straight to the heart of many issues.

This is also a good place to learn, and sometimes the teachers on here can sound harsh. But I don't believe they mean to--we all just want to encourage each other to think things through and present the best arguments on a topic.

Besides, you are the first person in years who has gotten me to start thinking about learning how to really cook! :)

Take a break, of course--but come back? :)

• RichieRich and cpotisch like this

#22 RichieRich

RichieRich

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 05:20 PM

Hey, you've been on a train-or-two! Hence...you speak from Experience. I look for others first-hand experiences. Other then training from DC-to-Rutland, Vermont (WITH SKIS) to go skiing in Killington...My experience is all on the AutoTrain...be it 15 years worth...going 8-times-a-year since retiring. It's interesting to compare experiences in food and accommodations on other trains (like you have). He!!, we could have one AutoTrain Thread all to its self! LOL I'd luv to talk about cooking on the train. The AutoTrain actually did have a Chef that cooked (I'd get a steak rare, Niece the crab-cakes...we'd split and make surf & turf)...be it many MANY years ago. Alas, now = Press-1 for fish, Press-2 for meat! They went from china to COSTCO Chinette...expecting "sporks" any trip now! lol Lol LOL

P.S. - I've had Posts deleted too!

Edited by RichieRich, 05 June 2018 - 05:30 PM.

#23 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 05:55 PM

Funny you should say that, tonight's

special is the steak with a shrimp/seafood cake combo. I'm on 5, an hour or so late already, just left Galesburg.

#24 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,243 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 05 June 2018 - 06:05 PM

Just caught up with this, and many people have beaten me to it, but please, please reconsider. Your posts are a breath of fresh air, you are wise beyond your years, and you have a gift of cutting through straight to the heart of many issues.

This is also a good place to learn, and sometimes the teachers on here can sound harsh. But I don't believe they mean to--we all just want to encourage each other to think things through and present the best arguments on a topic.

Besides, you are the first person in years who has gotten me to start thinking about learning how to really cook! :)

You might have talked me into it. I've gotta think more about it all, but thank you.

• Mystic River Dragon, CCC1007 and RichieRich like this

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#25 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 06:19 PM

Good to hear. It's a bit like an AU version of "It's a Wonderful Life"

• oregon pioneer, RichieRich and cpotisch like this

#26 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,451 posts
  • Interests:Writing, reading, baking, trivia, adventures, historic preservation

Posted 05 June 2018 - 06:27 PM

We all need a break from the drama sometimes. I’ve removed AU from my bookmarks a few times; after a week or twelve, I come back refreshed.

Like DA said, sleep on it for a bit. :) You can always come back.

Edited by SarahZ, 05 June 2018 - 06:27 PM.

• RichieRich and cpotisch like this
Amtrak Miles: 48,312

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#27 JRR

JRR

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 07:55 PM

No need to quit. Just chill a bit if you want and post from time to time. No need to post all the time.
  • RichieRich likes this

#28 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:23 AM

You might have talked me into it. I've gotta think more about it all, but thank you.

I'm very glad! :) Hope to see you back here when you're ready!

• RichieRich likes this

#29 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:23 PM

Hope you decide to stay.  Everyone needs a break or has to take a break, but then comes back with a renewed point of view.  Each trip I make gives me more experiences, good and bad to share and get other AU members input.  There are the non-members first time riders who always need our input, and you being young bring a different angle to the discussion.  Hope to see you posting in the future.  

• cpotisch likes this

#30 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,366 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:58 PM

We’ve identified who doesn’t look at time stamps on posts.

(Hint: he’s been back for significantly longer than he was gone for)
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#31 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,243 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:09 PM

We’ve identified who doesn’t look at time stamps on posts.

(Hint: he’s been back for significantly longer than he was gone for)

Yep, I was "gone" for about 20 hours. I've been "back" for about a week. That said, thank you Lonestar for that. Without all the kind responses I definitely would have left.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users