Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Leaving AU

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,634 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:51 PM

I wanted to let everyone know that I will be leaving Amtrak Unlimited. AU has been an incredibly helpful and interesting resource, so I want to thank you all for your help and assistance over the past 9 months. Unfortunately, I've realized lately that I have nothing to contribute to this board or its members, so it doesn't make sense anymore for me to continue posting or accessing this site at all. I apologize to all of you for everything false or pointless that I said, and hope that there are no hard feelings.

Sincerely,

Coby

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#2 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,671 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:09 PM

I don't rightly know what brought this on, but I think you should reconsider...everyone has something at some time of interest to other's on this board....maybe not every one all of the time, but sometime...

You will be missing out if you leave, as we will be missing you....

• the_traveler, oregon pioneer, cirdan and 1 other like this
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#3 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:20 PM

Dude.

Stick around, listen and learn some.

Enthusiasm like yours is what this place needs.
  • the_traveler, cirdan and RichieRich like this
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#4 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,451 posts
  • Interests:Writing, reading, baking, trivia, adventures, historic preservation

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:38 PM

Don't let one member's post discourage you. You are more mature than most "kids" I know, to the point I don't really think of you as a kid. Even if not legally so, you are a young adult in my eyes.

All of us get corrected on occasion, even the adults (and I use that term loosely in Ryan's case). We learn from it and move on.

Or we bicker about it. Whatever is more fun at the time. ;)

• the_traveler, cirdan, Seaboard92 and 1 other like this
Amtrak Miles: 48,312

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#5 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,033 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:51 PM

Where is this coming from?  If you want to take a break from posting, or you want to lurk for a bit while pursuing other interests, then more power to you.  That being said I would strongly suggest you avoid succumbing to binary decision making.  Put another way, maybe you should sleep on it first.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 05 June 2018 - 12:27 AM.

• jis, the_traveler, Misty. and 2 others like this

#6 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,595 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:56 PM

"I've realized lately that I have nothing to contribute to this board" ... nothing to contribute???

I don't see it that way!

• Misty. and RichieRich like this

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

5540 miles booked for this fall on the Sunset Limited, City of New Orleans, Illini/Saluki, Southwest Chief.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/

#7 BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Warbirds and Automobiles.
    Computer Technology.
    Electric Blues

Posted 04 June 2018 - 11:52 PM

Don't do it !!!!!!!!!! I very much enjoy your posts!

• RichieRich likes this

#8 MikefromCrete

MikefromCrete

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 12:33 AM

I really enjoy your posts. Reconsider your decision. Take a break if you want, but come back, I think you really contribute a lot to the discussion. 

#9 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,596 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 05 June 2018 - 01:58 AM

What the others said!

We really enjoy your posts,please, stick around!
  • RichieRich likes this
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#10 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 06:27 AM

What the other said.

Everybody has something to contribute. I've always enjoyed your posts. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

• RichieRich likes this

#11 Everydaymatters

Everydaymatters

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,215 posts
  • Interests:Travel, antiques, reading, pinochle, grandkids

Posted 05 June 2018 - 07:10 AM

You most certainly do have something to contribute! I am one of those who don't know what brought this on.

Maybe you just need to take a break? A day or two off? As someone else said, you are one of the best younger members we've had here. You have gained our respect.

Routes Traveled: Desert Wind, Southwest Chief, Missouri Mule, Empire Builder, Capitol Ltd., Lincoln Service, Lake Shore Ltd., Missouri River Runner, City of New Orleans, Cardinal, Silver Meteor, Texas Eagle, Cascades, Broadway Ltd., Acela, Downeaster, Sunset Ltd., Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Hiawatha, Capitol Corridor, Maple Leaf, Ethan Allen Express 76,745 Amtrak miles.    Via Rail Vancouver to Toronto 2775 Miles.

#12 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:32 AM

All of us get corrected on occasion, even the adults (and I use that term loosely in Ryan's case). 

Ryan has annoyed me a lot to the point that I just ignore his posts (and there is an option to ignore a specific member's posts)  (I'm guessing people use it on me too:) Every board has bad apples, just block the bad apple(s), there should be enough good apples for meaningful discussion. I wouldn't still be here if there wasn't.

• City of Miami, Misty. and RichieRich like this

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL), Texas Eagle (CHI-DAL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#13 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,716 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:45 AM

Don't let unsolicited advice about what you should or should not do from some busybodies here (sometimes that includes me too) deter you. Look, I realized a long time back that I could not contribute here without standing a significant chance of being yelled at by someone, and I just chose to develop a thick enough skin. Also it pays to be prudent about what one shares. Just because one knows something does not mean one must share it. Afterall the delicate feelings of the crowd here needs to be taken into consideration too :D

So my friend, hope you will let whatever happened pass, and eventually jump back into the fray here.

• City of Miami, pennyk, Misty. and 3 others like this

#14 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:57 AM

Even if you decide to cut back, leaving totally (in my mind) would be a mistake. Youthful enthusiasm in and of itself is an important contribution. In business, there is a term called "succession management" preparing for the inevitable passing of the torch to the next generation. People underestimate what may be valuable. Even posting pictures of well balanced attractive meal options without red meat may open peoples' eyes to choices they may not have thought of. Home work : It has 2 common translations used.....Age Quod Agis....../

Edited by PVD, 05 June 2018 - 03:27 PM.

• oregon pioneer and RichieRich like this

#15 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:58 AM

All of us get corrected on occasion, even the adults (and I use that term loosely in Ryan's case). 

Ryan has annoyed me a lot to the point that I just ignore his posts (and there is an option to ignore a specific member's posts)  (I'm guessing people use it on me too:) Every board has bad apples, just block the bad apple(s), there should be enough good apples for meaningful discussion. I wouldn't still be here if there wasn't.

Hint: Sarah was joking with me. We’re friends.

• jis, Misty., oregon pioneer and 3 others like this
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#16 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,716 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 05 June 2018 - 09:16 AM

Fun to see Philly complaining about being annoyed LOL! All in jest of course :D :D

• AmtrakBlue and RichieRich like this

#17 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 09:30 AM

Yeah, reality has a way of being annoying, I guess. :D
  • jis and AmtrakBlue like this
Posted Image

#18 Alice

Alice

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 01:41 PM

cpotisch, Hope others have convinced you to reconsider. But if you are counting votes, add me to the "please stay, I value your comments" column.
  • RichieRich likes this

#19 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, And Web App Development

Posted 05 June 2018 - 01:43 PM

Coby,

There are a handful of people on here I sometimes wish would start this same post but, YOU are not one of them. Stick around for the ride.  ;)

• SarahZ and RichieRich like this

#20 oregon pioneer

oregon pioneer

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts
  • Interests:Cross-country skiing, forestry, botany, solar power, gardening and food!

Posted 05 June 2018 - 02:39 PM

Coby, I agree with the comments above, and I'd like to mention that I've been chastised a time or two myself (yes, I am old and gray, but I don't know everything and never will). I've learned to keep my posts to topics I have personal experience with. And I want to say, I would not have had as many wonderful experiences without the advice given by others on the forum -AND- I am now able to help newbies who ask questions pertinent to those very experiences.

Speaking of topics I have personal experience with, I love your food posts! You have very good taste in food, and I can see where you get it from. ^_^ Keep up the good work, I love your enthusiasm.

Edited by oregon pioneer, 05 June 2018 - 02:39 PM.

• RichieRich likes this

Jennifer

I'm a "little Old Lady in Tennis Shoes" (LOLITS) from Eastern Oregon. I love to travel by train, though I live way out in the toolies, far from the nearest Amtrak station (Chemult). My station would have been Baker City, but they cancelled the Oregon Pioneer just before I took my first long-distance train trip as an adult. I've taken most trains in the West, but I'm still exploring new routes in the east.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users