Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Superliner sleepers - is the forward end random?

11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Lancer_*

Guest_Lancer_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2018 - 05:37 PM

Is there any way to know which side of the train a particular Superliner roomette will be on.  I've been on the north side of the SWC a couple of times and would like to get a south-facing room if possible.  But I suspect that the forward end of the car is a random occurrence and there is no way to predict which side you'll be on.

#2 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 31 May 2018 - 05:44 PM

Is there any way to know which side of the train a particular Superliner roomette will be on.  I've been on the north side of the SWC a couple of times and would like to get a south-facing room if possible.  But I suspect that the forward end of the car is a random occurrence and there is no way to predict which side you'll be on.

There's pretty much no way. The cars have vestibules at both ends, and are designed to be able to operate in either direction, so it's really just whatever's most convenient for the yard crew.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#3 MikefromCrete

MikefromCrete

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 05:50 PM

You're right. It's random. 

#4 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 05:58 PM

A train like the CZ has 6 train sets operating and the direction of the cars could be different in each consist.  Only the Transition Sleeper is directional with one end having stairs to enter the Baggage Car. 

#5 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,189 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:07 PM

Another that you can be certain of is the FIRST Viewliner sleeper. It is ALWAYS placed so that the H-Room is next to the Dining Car. The 2nd (and if there is 3rd) sleeper again could face either direction.

Edited by the_traveler, 31 May 2018 - 06:12 PM.

Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#6 zephyr17

zephyr17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:17 PM

There's pretty much no way. The cars have vestibules at both ends, and are designed to be able to operate in either direction, so it's really just whatever's most convenient for the yard crew.

While the orientation of the cars is random, except for the transdorms, Superliners do not have vestibules at both ends.  The ends of Superliners do not have vestibules at all.

Pre Amtrak: SP Coast Daylight, AT&SF San Diegan, AT&SF Super Chief, D&RGW Rio Grande Zephyr; Amtrak: Southwest Limited/Chief, San Diegan/Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Cascades, California/San Francisco Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited (LA-ORL), Desert Wind, Pioneer, City of New Orleans, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited (NY Section), Cardinal, Hoosier State (Amtrak),  Hoosier State (Iowa Pacific), Ann Rutledge, Adirondack, Maple Leaf, NE Regional, Capitol Limited, Crescent, Acela Express, Lake Shore Limited (Boston Section)
Via Rail Canada: Via Canadian (CP route), Via Super Continental, Via Atlantic Limited, Via Hudson Bay, Via Skeena, Via Canadian (CN route), Via "Corridor" (Toronto-Montreal); 
Other: BC Rail Cariboo Dayliner, Alaska Railroad, Eurostar, Thalys, DB, Netherlands Rail, Austrian Railways, BR, Korail (conventional), Korail KTX

#7 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,178 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:38 PM

While the orientation of the cars is random, except for the transdorms, Superliners do not have vestibules at both ends.  The ends of Superliners do not have vestibules at all.
Methinks he might have meant to say gangways, or whatever those connecting walkways to the next car are called.
  • LookingGlassTie likes this

#8 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,451 posts
  • Interests:Writing, reading, baking, trivia, adventures, historic preservation

Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:41 PM

Methinks he might have meant to say gangways, or whatever those connecting walkways to the next car are called.

[ahem]

It's called the Bouncy Accordion Hallway, thank you very much.

• SP&S, AmtrakBlue, FrensicPic and 2 others like this
Amtrak Miles: 48,312

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#9 zephyr17

zephyr17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:52 PM

[ahem]

It's called the Bouncy Accordion Hallway, thank you very much.

:hi:

Pre Amtrak: SP Coast Daylight, AT&SF San Diegan, AT&SF Super Chief, D&RGW Rio Grande Zephyr; Amtrak: Southwest Limited/Chief, San Diegan/Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Cascades, California/San Francisco Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited (LA-ORL), Desert Wind, Pioneer, City of New Orleans, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited (NY Section), Cardinal, Hoosier State (Amtrak),  Hoosier State (Iowa Pacific), Ann Rutledge, Adirondack, Maple Leaf, NE Regional, Capitol Limited, Crescent, Acela Express, Lake Shore Limited (Boston Section)
Via Rail Canada: Via Canadian (CP route), Via Super Continental, Via Atlantic Limited, Via Hudson Bay, Via Skeena, Via Canadian (CN route), Via "Corridor" (Toronto-Montreal); 
Other: BC Rail Cariboo Dayliner, Alaska Railroad, Eurostar, Thalys, DB, Netherlands Rail, Austrian Railways, BR, Korail (conventional), Korail KTX

#10 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:14 PM

Thanks, that's what I meant.  :hi:

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#11 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,379 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:22 PM

Another that you can be certain of is the FIRST Viewliner sleeper. It is ALWAYS placed so that the H-Room is next to the Dining Car. The 2nd (and if there is 3rd) sleeper again could face either direction.

All of the sleepers point the same direction, since there are only exterior doors at one end of the car.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#12 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:36 PM

Yep. Viewliner sleepers are always keep things consist-ent. And yes. I went with that joke.  ^_^

• LookingGlassTie likes this

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users