Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Canadian delayed almost 48 hours - potential new schedule coming.

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#61 FreeskierInVT

FreeskierInVT

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 11:12 PM

The last few runs of the Canadian seemed to be closer to on time than the last month or so. 2(22) even left Edson, AB a few minutes early, but then sat at Edmonton for 5-1/2 hours. It arrived to Toronto just under 10 hours late but its turn for 1(26) is estimated to leave 3 hours late, better than the 12 hour late departures out of Toronto in weeks past.

During my trip last summer I allowed for an extra day in Toronto after coming east. I had lost my first day in Vancouver due to delays from wildfires in BC but wasn't making a connection there. I also had a (forced) overnight in Jasper connecting to the Skeena, though I would've built in that day anyway with the frequent delays.

Many of my fellow Youth 150 passholders weren't expecting delays like we had, with some trying to make connecting bus transfers at Jasper with as few as 10 minutes between the Canadian's scheduled arrival and the bus departure. Needless to say, that connection didn't happen. One person I talked to who tried this was stranded in Jasper overnight, with no available lodging in town. 

Amtrak Routes taken: Vermonter (39), Ethan Allen Express (12), Northeast Regional (22), Acela Express (4; 2 BC/2 FC), Cardinal (1), Capitol Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited-Boston (1), Lake Shore Limited- New York (2), Empire Builder- Seattle (1), Empire Builder- Portland (1), Coast Starlight (1), California Zephyr (1), Amtrak Cascades (2), Downeaster (11; 5 w/ Dome Car), Adirondack (4; 1 w/ Dome Car), Hiawatha (2),  Maple Leaf (1), Keystone (3), Pennsylvanian (1), Springfield Shuttle (6), Autumn Express (Nov. 3, 2013);

VIA Rail Canada: Canadian (4), Skeena (2), Ocean (4), Corridor (2) - Canada Youth 150 Pass 2017

Total Amtrak/VIA mileage: 39,204 // 2018: 12,632 // 2017: 9,496 // 2016: 2,702 // 2015: 362 // 2014: 7,858 // 2013: 6,154

#62 JRR

JRR

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 12:35 PM

JRR,

Surely don't disagree with your post.  It's the issues that may arise with connection/hotel issues upon de-training that concerns me.

I agree with you as it affects those actually depending on connections etc. It seemed to me, everyone I talked to was just taking it for the “ride”!
  • cpotisch likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users