Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Massive truck driver shortage?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MARC Rider

MARC Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 04:13 PM

https://www.washingt...m=.9d7949f2e34e

America has a massive truck driver shortage. Here’s why few want an $80,000 job.

Not a bad article, but the headline is a little misleading, as it's pointed out that the median pay for truck drivers is $42,000. No wonder people don't want it.  Not to mention the Orwellian "telematics" monitoring drivers on the road and government regulations that even I, as a general fan of government regulation, think are excessive.

So is this good for the railroad industry that the truckers can't find drivers?  Are the railroads having as much trouble finding workers?

#2 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 29 May 2018 - 08:20 PM

Back when I dove an over-the-road truck I hardly ever picked up/delivered a load at a facility that could be accessed by rail.

However, shippers are using rail more these days, mainly because it costs less per mile.

What they gain in cost they lose in timeliness.

Most of the big trucking firms have more than 100% driver turnover each year and routinely have 1/4 to 1/3 of their trucks idle because they lack warm bodies to put in the cab. Some have turnover rates over 200%.

The bottom line is: driving an over-the-road truck is more a lifestyle than a job.

California Zephyr • Coast Starlight  • Southwest Chief • Sunset Limited • Texas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr • Capitol Corridor

. . . . Amtrak miles - 23,703, so far.

#3 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,311 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 29 May 2018 - 09:55 PM

That is an excellent article--kudos to its author, and thanks so much for posting.  

The article just really skims the surface of the world of truck driving.  Who you work for makes a huge difference in your salary and work life.   Also whether you are a Teamster's union member or not.  And whether you drive for a company, or are an owner-operator.  And of course, if you drive 'straight-away', or 'turn-around', or local delivery.   Also not mentioned, besides obesity issue's, are the pounding your kidney's and other organs take over a lifetime of driving, regardless of how fancy a suspension or air-seat may be.  

I drove trucks for one year, prior to switching to buses, but still maintain my 'class-A' CDL.   Even at my age, I could go out tomorrow, and easily find a job, if I was so inclined.  Not many other occupations would hire me at my age.

That said, I would not recommend anyone make a career of that job...maybe okay for a few years, for a young single person to get to see the country, and satisfy their 'wanderlust'...

But, then should either look for promotion to a desk job, or find another career path...

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#4 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,311 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 10:02 PM

I don't think class 1 railroads have any problem fulfilling train service jobs.   The pay and working conditions are much better than over the road trucking.  Low paying short lines might find it more difficult...not sure... :unsure:

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#5 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 10:37 PM

Funny how so many of  the people who advocate loudly for laws of supply and demand seem want to pay less and less, and reduce benefits, and then cry they can't get enough workers so we should lower standards and requirements. Just like with pilots for regional air carriers.

Edited by PVD, 29 May 2018 - 10:46 PM.

• Ryan, Ashland Train Enthusiast, seat38a and 2 others like this

#6 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Interests:Computers, riding trains/travel, watching movies/sporting events, listening to music/speeches/talk radio, reading

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:45 AM

Here’s why few want an $80,000 job.

My speculation to this statement is because trucking is considered as Dirty, Dangerous, and Demanding, which some classifies as 3D Jobs: https://en.wikipedia...s_and_demeaning

Trains taken (US): Coast Starlight, San Joaquins, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Hoosier State, California Zephyr, Sunset Limited, SP4449 excursion 2015
Current Amtrak mileage: 37099 miles

#7 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 30 May 2018 - 06:57 AM

The railroads are struggling just the same as the truckers. Union Pacific, and BNSF both are offering signing bonuses up to 20,000 to recruit new Hires.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#8 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,311 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:56 AM

The railroads are struggling just the same as the truckers. Union Pacific, and BNSF both are offering signing bonuses up to 20,000 to recruit new Hires.

Surprised to hear this....If they ever advertised in my area, they'd have to screen thousand's of applicant's... ;)

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#9 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts
  • Interests:Transportation, business, politics, and military history.

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:58 AM

Surprised to hear this....If they ever advertised in my area, they'd have to screen thousand's of applicant's... ;)

Union Pacific is offering $25,000 sign-up bonuses for locomotive engineers.

The airlines are also having difficulty finding pilots and the railcar manufacturers have extreme difficulty finding welders.
MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
A MILLION MILES A DAY
DETROIT DIESEL 6067WK28

#10 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,311 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 02:32 PM

Young people today, should take a look at all of this, and think twice before getting themselves into huge debt with college loans, that take a very long time to pay back.

When they can go to a trade school for a lot less, and start earning big bucks soon.   In the cases mentioned, they don't even have to go into trade school...employer's will train them...

• Thirdrail7 likes this
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#11 gswager

gswager

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts
  • Interests:mountain recreations, scuba diving, Christian,

Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:54 PM

I do occasionally drive truck but haven't done in a few years. I did for hauling whey between milk plant and dairy few times and hauling silage during harvest season. It's not for me to do full time because I like to work with various activities, not driving all day with my mind idling. I may be doing it when I'm too old to do heavy stuff in the future. I still have CDL license. I agree with KmH that is a lifestyle, not a career, just like me with dairy blood.
Entire length in segments- Southwest Chief (LSV-LAX & CHI-LSV), Pacific Surfliner (SLO-LAX & LAX-SAN) & San Joaquin (Oakland stub)
Entire length, end to end- Lake Shore Limited (Boston stub) (11/09), Downeaster (11/09) & Coast Starlight (10/11)
Partial- California Zephyr (SLC-EMY), Hiawatha, Cascades (SEA-PDX) & Acela (BOS-PVD)

#12 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 06:01 PM

It goes back to what you stated earlier: Railroading is a lifestyle and a lot of people can't handle it. Do you know how many people walk out of the orientation when it is announced they are likely to work weekends and holidays for the first 10 years of their careers?

Edited by Thirdrail7, 03 June 2018 - 06:02 PM.

• railiner likes this

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#13 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,311 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 11:16 PM

It goes back to what you stated earlier: Railroading is a lifestyle and a lot of people can't handle it. Do you know how many people walk out of the orientation when it is announced they are likely to work weekends and holidays for the first 10 years of their careers?

Walking out from the get-go, is better for them, and saves the employer's too, from wasting time and money training new people who for whatever reason, are just "wrong" for the job.

Sometimes the problem is that eager corporate recruiter's don't paint a true picture of what the job is about to prospects....seem to recall my old Air Force recruiter, when I think back about that... :P

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#14 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 06:35 PM

Was at my employee yard taken a random. A recruiter was talking about a driver that quit his job on Friday, and had reapplied on Monday said he made a mistake.

I dont recommend driving a truck period.

20 years OTR over 2 million accident free.

Try to apply for several railroad jobs. BNSF gave 5 day notice for a multi day job briefing. (When they tell your working night, weekends and holiday for the first 10 years.) No chance of making that, with out quit current job.
Recent apply at Amtrak, rejected with out interview. Job still open, reposted several times. Last repost 1 June. Whatever....

#15 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,311 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 08:33 PM

I just heard on a news report yesterday, that NJ Transit Rail was cutting some trains, partially due to shortage of qualified crews....so yeah...looks like there is some opportunity here too for those wanting to start rail careers....

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users