Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Word from Aboard the Capitol Ltd

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,943 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 27 May 2018 - 05:30 PM

Just got back from our trip to Omaha. The Capitol Ltd was the first and last legs of our trip to and from CHI. While we received good service from Cliff, Marquese and the dining car staff; morale among the crew was low.  With the discontinuance of hot meal service, some FSA's and the chef will be reassigned but several employees advised that they will be given furloughs. Fifteen employees are affected by the dining car closures. It is a terrible situation when hard working employees that are just trying to feed their family are put out of work. Several of these folks (including those in the Acela Lounge) asked the rail passengers if they would send letters to customer service and Amtrak corporate in support of the workers. We intend to join the voice of reason by writing, emailing Amtrak and voicing our displeasure.  Our message will complement the onboard service people while informing that we will no longer ride the Capitol or Lake Shore Ltd without meal service.  I ask that all forum members do the same. If the push back is large enough maybe we can make a difference.

Edited by dlagrua, 29 May 2018 - 07:16 AM.

• Triley, daybeers and dogbert617 like this

#2 ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts
  • Interests:Math, old train schedules

Posted 27 May 2018 - 07:01 PM

Woo Cardinal! I will write if I can.

I have ridden Cascades #516 (SEA-STW), Coast Starlight #14 (LAX-SLO), Southwest Chief #4 (LAX-CHI), Cardinal #50 (CHI-NYP), Northeast Regional #85 (NYP-WAS), Capitol Limited #30 (HFY-WAS), Coast Starlight #14 (LAX-PDX), Coast Starlight #11 (SLO-LAX), and many Pacific Surfliners with Amtrak. I have observed, including the previous, California Zephyr #5 at SAC (lucky), what I guess to be Crescent #19 (at WAS) and Silver Meteor #97 (at WAS), Empire Builder #28 at PDX, and Sunset Limited #2/Texas Eagle #422 at LAX. I have also ridden the Hokutosei in Japan, Ueno - Sapporo (now discontinued).

#3 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 27 May 2018 - 07:10 PM

Just got back from our trip to Omaha. The Capitol Ltd was the first and last legs of our trip to and from CHI. While we received good service from Cliff, Marquese and the dining car staff; moral among the crew was low.  With the discontinuance of hot meal service, some FSA's and the chef will be reassigned but several employees advised that they will be given furloughs. Fifteen employees are affected by the dining car closures. It is a terrible situation when hard working employees that are just trying to feed their family are put out of work. Several of these folks (including those in the Acela Lounge) asked the rail passengers if they would send letters to customer service and Amtrak corporate in support of the workers. We intend to join the voice of reason by writing, emailing Amtrak and voicing our displeasure.  Our message will complement the onboard service people while informing that we will no longer ride the Capitol or Lake Shore Ltd without meal service.  I ask that all forum members do the same. If the push back is large enough maybe we can make a difference.

I'm drafting a letter now to my three congressional representatives. No only meals and the dining car situation but also long distance trains, discounts and PV/charter travel via Amtrak. 

Edited by FrensicPic, 27 May 2018 - 07:10 PM.

• Triley, Seaboard92 and daybeers like this

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

5540 miles booked for this fall on the Sunset Limited, City of New Orleans, Illini/Saluki, Southwest Chief.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/

#4 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 10:40 PM

I wonder if these are relatively new employees. If they are, this provision of the law wouldn't apply:

© Savings Clause.—Amtrak shall ensure that no Amtrak employee holding a position as of the date of enactment of the Passenger Rail Reform and Investment Act of 2015 is involuntarily separated because of—

(1) the development and implementation of the plan required under subsection (a); or

(2) any other action taken by Amtrak to implement this section.

I wonder how many furloughed employees are willing to move. If Amtrak offers other positions and you don't take advantage, I suppose this provision wouldn't apply.

At any rate, furloughs and the railroad go hand in hand. It is tough but if you're willing/able to move or take another position, it makes things easier.  I personally believe OBS employees should start seriously considering other positions.  Lately,  the "experiments"  have not been reversed and become normal operating procedure.  As such, this may get worse before it gets better.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#5 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,287 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 27 May 2018 - 10:43 PM

Yep, and you can see the day coming when there will be No more Qualified Chefs or FSAs when the old timers with Senority put in their papers and go on Railroad Retirement! 😥
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#6 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 06:55 AM

Just got back from our trip to Omaha. The Capitol Ltd was the first and last legs of our trip to and from CHI. While we received good service from Cliff, Marquese and the dining car staff; moral among the crew was low.  With the discontinuance of hot meal service, some FSA's and the chef will be reassigned but several employees advised that they will be given furloughs. Fifteen employees are affected by the dining car closures. It is a terrible situation when hard working employees that are just trying to feed their family are put out of work. Several of these folks (including those in the Acela Lounge) asked the rail passengers if they would send letters to customer service and Amtrak corporate in support of the workers. We intend to join the voice of reason by writing, emailing Amtrak and voicing our displeasure.  Our message will complement the onboard service people while informing that we will no longer ride the Capitol or Lake Shore Ltd without meal service.  I ask that all forum members do the same. If the push back is large enough maybe we can make a difference.

You can express displeasure all you want but a boycott to me not only will not work it will only make things worse and possible could lead to the LSL and CL being canceled. You might not care but I certainly would be angry if that happened. It's bad enough without the Broadway but imagine getting from the East Coast to Chicago without these trains too.

• dogbert617 likes this

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL), Texas Eagle (CHI-DAL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#7 frequentflyer

frequentflyer

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 09:59 AM

Serious question- Isn't whats happening to the CL and LSL the same that was done to the Silver Star? 

#8 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,290 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 28 May 2018 - 10:01 AM

You can express displeasure all you want but a boycott to me not only will not work it will only make things worse and possible could lead to the LSL and CL being canceled. You might not care but I certainly would be angry if that happened. It's bad enough without the Broadway but imagine getting from the East Coast to Chicago without these trains too.

I HIGHLY doubt that a boycot is going to get those two trains cancelled. In order to get the CL and LSL cancelled, ridership would have to drop so severely and over such a long period that management would see it as unsalvageable. I think it’s vastly more likely that Anderson would see that this change had an adverse effect to ridership, and might figure out that contemporary dining was not a good idea. I’m not saying that’s going to happen, but it sure seems more realistic than a train off.

And the current situation isn’t “bad enough as it is”. There are three trains operating between the East Coast and Chicago - one of which runs direct to your home town, and the other two are an easy connection away. And for someone who’s apparently really concerned about route cancellations between the East Coast and Chicago, you sure seem to want to kill the Cardinal.

Edited by cpotisch, 28 May 2018 - 04:57 PM.

• Thirdrail7, Seaboard92 and dogbert617 like this

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#9 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,290 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 10:46 AM

Serious question- Isn't whats happening to the CL and LSL the same that was done to the Silver Star? 

For coach passengers, the answer is pretty much yes.

• dogbert617 likes this

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#10 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,374 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 28 May 2018 - 10:46 AM

No. The Star has the dining car removed, along with the meals included in the sleeping car fare. The only food service available on the train is the for-pay cafe car.

The Cap and the LSL still have a dining car (now used as a lounge for Sleeper Passengers), and still includes meals as a part of the Sleeper fare. Those meals have been transitioned from hot meals with restaurant-style table service into some form of boxed meal that we haven’t seen yet delivered in an unknown way (but not tableside).
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#11 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,290 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 10:51 AM

No. The Star has the dining car removed, along with the meals included in the sleeping car fare. The only food service available on the train is the for-pay cafe car.

The Cap and the LSL still have a dining car (now used as a lounge for Sleeper Passengers), and still includes meals as a part of the Sleeper fare. Those meals have been transitioned from hot meals with restaurant-style table service into some form of boxed meal that we haven’t seen yet delivered in an unknown way (but not tableside).

My point is that for sleeper passengers, the change is completely different on the CL and LSL than that of the Star. But for coach passengers, it works out to be pretty much the same. Amtrak's claiming that they're going to sell leftover boxed meals to coach passengers, but honestly I kind of doubt it. Coach and Business pax will be eating out of the Cafe.

#12 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,374 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 11:40 AM

OK? Your point wasn't unclear. It just didn't answer the question that was asked.
  • cpotisch likes this
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#13 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 01:28 PM

It is also different since the prices of the rooms on the Star dropped when they cancelled the meals. Even though the meals do not appear to be comparable to what was previously offered, the prices on the CL and LSL remained the same...at least.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#14 spinnaker

spinnaker

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 04:43 PM

I'm drafting a letter now to my three congressional representatives. No only meals and the dining car situation but also long distance trains, discounts and PV/charter travel via Amtrak. 

While I am 110% behind the workers I don't think that your representatives are the answer.   hat we are talking about there is getting the taxpayer so subsidize their salary.  There needs to be another solution and perhaps the only one is elimination of services.   

If Amtrak was looking at replacing workers with cheaper labor then I would say yes contact your representatives.  But that is not what is happening. 

• City of Miami likes this

#15 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 05:08 PM

It is also different since the prices of the rooms on the Star dropped when they cancelled the meals. Even though the meals do not appear to be comparable to what was previously offered, the prices on the CL and LSL remained the same...at least.

They are adding the free soft drinks including "premium" drinks like LaCroix water, bottled juices (way better than the boxed juice previously offered), Starbucks cold brew. And they are adding the 1 free alcohol drink.

I'm not saying that's an even trade with losing hot food, but it is something.

• cpotisch likes this

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

VIA: - Canadian*

Iowa Pacific - Hoosier State*, and City of New Orleans Pullman*.   

#16 City of Miami

City of Miami

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 07:01 PM

I have seen enough slugabouts lolling in the diner and rude or thoughtless behavior that I'm not finding any sympathy here, not to mention rampant theft which seems to be a big part of Amtrak f/b losses. Looks like karma to me aka you made your bed now...etc.
  • VentureForth likes this

#17 dogbert617

dogbert617

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:31 AM

Thanks for posting a good summary of what the meal changes will be, as far as dining service goes on the Cap and Lake Shore. It's sad to hear this bit of news, and I worry this will spread to more long distance trains in the future. How many long distance trains still have traditional hot meals in their dining car, besides(I'm almost 100% sure on these 2) Empire Builder and also the Silver Meteor?

#18 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,374 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 03:50 AM

Aside from the already mentioned Cap, LSL and Star, the TE and Cardinal have chefless “heat and eat” style food.

Everything else still have “normal” meals.
  • dogbert617 likes this
Posted Image

#19 tricia

tricia

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 06:22 AM

While I am 110% behind the workers I don't think that your representatives are the answer.   hat we are talking about there is getting the taxpayer so subsidize their salary.  There needs to be another solution and perhaps the only one is elimination of services.   

If Amtrak was looking at replacing workers with cheaper labor then I would say yes contact your representatives.  But that is not what is happening. 

But that probably IS what's happening--outsourcing food preparation to off-train non-Amtrak workers who are almost certainly paid less than Amtrak staff, who are unusually well-paid among food-service workers. Most food service workers are paid a sub-living wage, with few benefits.

That said, I'm also at least partially in agreement with City of Miami here: a good many Amtrak food-service staff I've seen have been surly, rude, and/or unwilling to do more than a bare minimum of work. 

I'm very much in favor of paying ALL workers a living wage, and also expect good work in return for it.

Edited by tricia, 29 May 2018 - 06:31 AM.

• Devil's Advocate likes this

#20 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,943 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 29 May 2018 - 07:14 AM

From what I understand, Amtrak employs both Union and non-Union employees. The meal service changes may have something to do with getting rid of the higher paid union people. This was mentioned to me by an FSA but I do not know if this info is correct. The management at Amtrak doesn't want to acknowledge that public transportation was put in place by government to serve the American people. AFAIK, no branch of government or agency makes a profit but somehow Amtrak is looked at differently? If you examine the "loss" that Amtrak has and deduct all of the workers income taxes (both onboard and support) that loss is probably very minimal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users