Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

TE 21 (25) extremely delayed between Austin and San Marcos

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 11:26 AM

I was checking on the 22 this morning, finding it was still in SAS.  Then I saw that 21(25) left AUS at 7:14PM but didn't arrive SMC until 4:00AM this morning.  Anyone know what happened?  I tried to find a report of a car/truck accident, but found none.  Loosing 8 hours in such a short distance couldn't be a freight delay.  I noticed the delay caused the SL 1 to be 6 hours late out of SAS.

#2 iplaybass

iplaybass

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Music, travel, and cooking.

Posted 27 May 2018 - 12:57 PM

This is why I don't rely on the TE for afternoon connections in Chicago. Worth the earlier start to only deal with delays in the STL-CHI route.

#3 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 27 May 2018 - 01:57 PM

This is why I don't rely on the TE for afternoon connections in Chicago. Worth the earlier start to only deal with delays in the STL-CHI route.

The TE is generally pretty punctual. If memory serves, more so than the SWC, EB, or CZ. And it arrives at 1:50 PM, which is significantly earlier than any other western train.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#4 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,252 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 27 May 2018 - 02:05 PM

Actually, 22 (along with 6) are pretty tardy. 4 is a little better, and 8 is the clear king of the OTP with a median arrival of 5 min early.

Figures from the last 12 months:
Attached File  Screen Shot 2018-05-27 at 3.06.22 PM.png   25.7KB   17 downloads

Edited by Ryan, 27 May 2018 - 02:25 PM.

• Pere Flyer likes this
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#5 Pere Flyer

Pere Flyer

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Interests:Writing, dancing, traveling

Posted 27 May 2018 - 02:18 PM

Actually, 22 (along with 6) are pretty tardy. 4 is a little better, and 8 is the clear king of the OTP with a median arrival of 5 min early.

Fixed it for you. :)

Pere Marquette: 370 (CHI, HOM, GRR); 371 (GRR, HOM, CHI) | Heartland Flyer: 821 (OKC, NOR, FTW); 822 (FTW, NOR, OKC) | Texas Eagle: 21 (FTW, SAS); 22 (SAS, FTW, AUS, CHI)

Cardinal: 50 (CHI, IND, CIN)

SS Line | TRE | DART | MTA | NJT | DC Metro | MBTA | CTA | RTD | MARTA | ATL Streetcar | QLine | Paris Métropolitain | Barcelona Metro | GLI | Jefferson Lines | Ambustitution

#6 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,252 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 27 May 2018 - 02:25 PM

Clearly, that's what I said!!! :D

(thanks)
  • Pere Flyer likes this
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#7 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 27 May 2018 - 02:32 PM

Huh. When I had checked the TE's OTP back in September, when planning for my cross country trip on #422, I would have sworn it was pretty good. :wacko:

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#8 SanAntonioClyde

SanAntonioClyde

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Rail,Passenger Association member. Getting daily Sunset Limited service and better San Antonio Amtrak station.

Posted 27 May 2018 - 03:30 PM

On time into San Antonio has been good this year.  word is that last night the old Amtrak engine just died in them.

#9 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 04:03 PM

So they had to wait on a rescue to pull 21 to SMC then to SAS.  Is the rescue pulling 22 to FTW?

#10 frequentflyer

frequentflyer

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 09:49 PM

The Genesis replacement order cannot happen soon enough. The Genesis is a good locomotive but its past time for a replacement.
  • daybeers likes this

#11 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 10:07 PM

While the initial delay was due to engine problems and the need for another engine, it lost around 4 hours meeting freight trains since it was out of slot.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#12 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 27 May 2018 - 10:36 PM

Yep, the combination of another tired P-42 ( only 1 on the Eagle!😣)and UPs endless Freights chugging up the line through Austin ( Single Track from South of the Downtown Trestle by the Station to the McNeil Crossing on Mopac) lead to multiple delays for the Eagles.😥
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#13 ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Interests:Math, old train schedules

Posted 27 May 2018 - 11:09 PM

Must have been quite a frustrating night for the crew and passengers.

I have ridden Cascades #516 (SEA-STW), Coast Starlight #14 (LAX-SLO), Southwest Chief #4 (LAX-CHI), Cardinal #50 (CHI-NYP), Northeast Regional #85 (NYP-WAS), Capitol Limited #30 (HFY-WAS), Coast Starlight #14 (LAX-PDX), Coast Starlight #11 (SLO-LAX), and many Pacific Surfliners with Amtrak. I have observed, including the previous, California Zephyr #5 at SAC (lucky), what I guess to be Crescent #19 (at WAS) and Silver Meteor #97 (at WAS), Empire Builder #28 at PDX, and Sunset Limited #2/Texas Eagle #422 at LAX. I have also ridden the Hokutosei in Japan, Ueno - Sapporo (now discontinued).

#14 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 11:19 PM

Especially since the TE crew had to turn almost around for the return trip.  With the switching of the through cars between the three trains, #1 left 6 hours late and #22 over 3 hours late.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users