Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

First Amtrak vacation underway.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 21 July 2018 - 10:49 AM

Your post didn't have any issues. I was referring to Bob Dylan's post (#17), which was missing one of the closing [/quote] brackets, which means that it couldn't render the quote boxes

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#22 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,460 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 21 July 2018 - 12:35 PM

Oops, hopefully a,Moderator can fix this for a tech challenged oldy!😁
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#23 Railroad Bill

Railroad Bill

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,090 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Historical and Genealogical research, Travel, Model Railroading. Lions Club & Anything Dealing With Trains

Posted 21 July 2018 - 02:13 PM

Oops, hopefully a,Moderator can fix this for a tech challenged oldy!

Tried to clean it up a bit.  

Amtrak Trains Ridden So Far:    86,889 miles and counting
Lake Shore Ltd, Capitol Ltd, Pennsylvanian, NE Corridors, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Hoosier, SW Chief, Surfliners, California Capitol Corridors, Coast Starlight, Cascades. Texas Eagle, San Joaquins, Missouri River Runner,Cardinal, Downeaster, Silver Meteor, Keystones, Auto Train, Adirondack, Lincoln Service, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Texas Eagle Detour Rt, 2013 Autumn Express Tour PHL, Silver Star, Sunset Limited -Acela Express-  2015 Autumn Express ALB - Empire Service Via Rail Corridor Trains Cobourg-Ottawa-Montreal,(round trip)  The Ocean (round trip)--   2,250 miles

#24 Dakota 400

Dakota 400

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 02:50 PM

SarahZ, thanks for your update on The Palmer House.  When I have another overnight or two in Chicago, I will consider it once again.

Maybe this next time, I will get a room that is closer to the elevators than the one I had.  (Along with the majestic lobby, those two memories stand out.)

#25 iplaybass

iplaybass

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Music, travel, and cooking.

Posted 22 July 2018 - 11:31 AM

SarahZ, thanks for your update on The Palmer House.  When I have another overnight or two in Chicago, I will consider it once again.

Maybe this next time, I will get a room that is closer to the elevators than the one I had.  (Along with the majestic lobby, those two memories stand out.)

The hotel websites (booking.com, etc.) usually have low prices on the Palmer House compared to other hotels. Internal to the Loop is seen as less desirable for some reason.
  • Dakota 400 likes this

#26 dogbert617

dogbert617

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 01:45 AM

Dogbert: FYI, Alpine only has Mom and Pop Rental Cars, no National Brands, but they meet the Train, are very friendly and provide used cars in good condition.

It's a fairly long drive over Hilly Roads to Big Bend National Park from Alpine, but Marfa is only 20 miles,away. Note it gets extremely Hot in the Park in the Summer, and Cold in the Winter, so Spring and Fall are the best times to visit!

Other "must sees" in the Big Country are Ft Davis,( makea,a Triangle with Marfa and,Alpine)including the Restored Fort, a National Historic Site,and McDonalds Observatory, the Star Parties held there are Fantastic! Lastly, the Natural Springs Pool and State Park @ Balmorhea. ( go for a day trip tp swim and take a Picnic Lunch)

I later realized it was just a mom and pop rental car company in Alpine, but that'd be fine for me. I'll have to research more on Fort Davis north of Marfa, since I thought I'd mainly spend time in Big Bend National Park, and perhaps briefly also in Big Bend Ranch State Park were I to do such a trip in the future. Thanks for the response.

Sounds like such a darned amazing trip you did there! To which cities/towns and destinations did your Alaska boat cruise go to? Once I do a Southwest Chief trip(due to my fear of its route through western Kansas, southeast Colorado, and northern New Mexico being rerouted after December 2018 over the positive train control issue, sigh), Empire Builder is probably near the top of my list to do a train trip on.

And that's cool you rented a car from Havre and went as far south as Yellowstone National Park. I was considering one day taking Amtrak to Alpine, TX(via Sunset Limited), then from there renting a car to get down to Big Bend National Park and back. Maybe also a brief side trip into Marfa, TX too as well, but we'll see if I do try to do a Big Bend trip via Amtrak someday.

We were on the Ruby Princess and went to Juneau, Ketchikan, Glacier Bay, Skagway & Victoria BC. My first cruise and I enjoyed very much but one week on ship was enough for me for one trip.
We rent vehicles if going to be 3-4 or more days in an area. Less time we just Uber around until we get back to the train. We did this last weekend when we rode the Texas Eagle to Dallas for couple days. When we go to San Antonio mid October for a week we will get Enterprise to bring us a vehicle to the depot and drive ourselves around.

Thanks for mentioning where you did go, in Alaska. Nice it also did a stop in Victoria, BC as well! I guess this boat trip did not stop in Vancouver, BC?

Edited by dogbert617, 15 August 2018 - 01:46 AM.

#27 Woodcut60

Woodcut60

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains; Amtrak; American Railroad History

Posted 18 September 2018 - 02:35 AM

SarahZ, thanks for your update on The Palmer House. I had a few drinks there and I absolutely loved the interior design and the location of this venerable hotel. I usually stay at The Silversmith on Wabash Avenue. Excellent but expensive.

Amtrak Routes Traveled: Lake Shore Limited, California Zephyr, San Joaquin, Pacific Surfliner, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Cardinal, Crescent, Sunset Limited, Southwest Chief, Hiawatha, City of New Orleans, Texas Eagle, Heartland Flyer, Missouri River Runner, Lincoln, Wolverine, Northeast Regional, Acela Express, Downeaster, Vermonter, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Capitol Limited, Pennsylvanian, Amtrak Cascades, Maple Leaf, Adirondack, Ethan Allen Express, Keystone, Carolinian, Piedmont.
Other Routes in North America: Denali Star (Anchorage-Fairbanks, Alaska Railroad), The Ocean (Halifax-Montréal), Corridor (Montréal-Toronto), The Canadian (Toronto-Vancouver).
Amtrak: approx. 29,000 miles and 47 states; VIA Rail Canada: approx. 4,300 miles and eight provinces.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users