Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Southwest Chief News

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#21 chrsjrcj

chrsjrcj

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:21 PM

Things are heating up.

Fair Use:

http://thehill.com/p...ver-funding-for

A bipartisan group of lawmakers on Thursday asked for a meeting with Amtrak CEO Richard Anderson over the company’s plans to deny funding for its Southwest Chief route pending additional financial investments.

The letter, penned by multiple House and Senate lawmakers in both parties, argues the route that runs through Kansas, Colorado and New Mexico is “vital to the economic well-being of our communities.”

“The lack of transparency by Amtrak management about its changing position on the Southwest Chief is troubling, particularly for a Government-Sponsored Enterprise entrusted with an important public transportation mission,” the letter reads. 

“We request Amtrak take the lead in developing cooperative plans to ensure the Southwest Chief’s successful operation, including seeking funding from the various federal grant programs established to address these specific issues.”

Sens. Martin Heinrich (D-N.M.), Michael Bennet (D-Colo.), Tom Udall (D-N.M.), Jerry Moran (R-Kan.), Pat Roberts (R-Kan.), and Cory Gardner (R-Colo.) signed the document, as did a group of House lawmakers from New Mexico, Colorado and Kansas.

• cirdan likes this

#22 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:16 PM

This is good news!!  I hope their meeting is productive.

• cirdan likes this

#23 OlympianHiawatha

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:24 AM

Maybe Congress can get enough pull to push Anderson out and bring in someone who has customer service skills and experience and railroad skills and experience!

#24 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,974 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:54 AM

Maybe UAL can be persuaded to hire Anderson away from Amtrak, to replace their Chairman and CEO position's... :D

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#25 fredmcain

fredmcain

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Gardening, older U.S. Numbered Highways (Like Route 66) & Piano Ragtime

Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:57 AM

Maybe Congress can get enough pull to push Anderson out and bring in someone who has customer service skills and experience and railroad skills and experience!

You know, one thing I've wondered about.  Why exactly did Anderson leave Delta to begin with?  If he really and truly "retired" then why did he come on board at Amtrak?  Or, did the Delta board push him out?

And then there's Wick Moorman.  At the beginning of the year it was publicly stated that he would be staying on at Amtrak as a "consultant" for an unspecified length of time.  Is he still there now?  If so, why?  Why should taxpayers fund Amtrak to effectively employ TWO chiefs?  And if by chance Moorman's still there he sure doesn't appear to be helping matters any.

Regards,

Fred M. Cain

​Regards,

Fred M. Cain

#26 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,206 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 06:06 AM

You know, one thing I've wondered about.  Why exactly did Anderson leave Delta to begin with?  If he really and truly "retired" then why did he come on board at Amtrak?  Or, did the Delta board push him out?

And then there's Wick Moorman.  At the beginning of the year it was publicly stated that he would be staying on at Amtrak as a "consultant" for an unspecified length of time.  Is he still there now?  If so, why?  Why should taxpayers fund Amtrak to effectively employ TWO chiefs?  And if by chance Moorman's still there he sure doesn't appear to be helping matters any.

Regards,

Fred M. Cain

I've heard that Anderson is not getting a salary from Amtrak.  

#27 fredmcain

fredmcain

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Gardening, older U.S. Numbered Highways (Like Route 66) & Piano Ragtime

Posted 01 June 2018 - 06:26 AM

"I've heard that Anderson is not getting a salary from Amtrak."

Huh?  Is that for sure a fact or a rumor?  Remember, the other day we were discussing rumors.  *IF* that's really true the question begs to be asked, why is he working there?  Certainly not because he's a foaming-at-the-mouth passenger train fan.

In any event, I'm glad that there are some law makers who are going to begin asking some very serious questions.  It just seems to me that Congress had the good will last year to bump up Amtrak funding -  which was a refreshing change from the annual cuts - but some of Anderson's actions almost seem like a slap in the face.  Or is it all just very, very bad communication?  It'd be swell to know exactly WHAT his intentions really are.

Regards,

Fred M. Cain

​Regards,

Fred M. Cain

#28 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 01 June 2018 - 06:47 AM

Huh?  Is that for sure a fact or a rumor?

It’s actually for sure a fact. He cars out of retirement to work Amtrak for free. Doesn’t mean like him any more, but that is the truth.
Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#29 looshi

looshi

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 10:17 AM

His salary is $0 and he covers his own expenses. He has said that he came out of retirement as a public service. He is eligible for a performance-based bonus, which I think is undisclosed.

#30 MikefromCrete

MikefromCrete

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,347 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 10:39 AM

That was Moorman's deal. Is Anderson also working just for bonuses? That would explain the cost cutting schemes. It would probably be better just to pay him a salary. 

#31 fredmcain

fredmcain

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 11:12 AM

The whole thing's starting to sound kinda fishy to me.

Hope someone looks into this !

​Regards,

Fred M. Cain

#32 frequentflyer

frequentflyer

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 11:16 AM

The whole thing's starting to sound kinda fishy to me.

Hope someone looks into this !

Its true, and playing the politics game just makes this job more interesting for him. He's a former CEO, he has an ego. Who wouldn't mind going down in history as the CEO who fixed Amtrak. 

#33 frequentflyer

frequentflyer

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 11:19 AM

That was Moorman's deal. Is Anderson also working just for bonuses? That would explain the cost cutting schemes. It would probably be better just to pay him a salary. 

We forget that piece of info of Moorman being CEO too. How many of these changes were made under Moorman's stewardship, the former NS CEO.

#34 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 11:26 AM

According to a Bloomberg online article from June 26, 2017, Anderson's "contract calls for three years of employment at zero salary, although he can receive a $500,000 bonus at the discretion of the railroad's board of directors."

Sorry I couldn't get a link to it to work, but that is a direct quote from the article. It was written by Elise Young, for those of you with better tech skills than I have who might want to look for it and read the whole thing.

Also, the article's nearly a year old, so things could have changed.

Edited by Mystic River Dragon, 01 June 2018 - 12:43 PM.

#35 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 11:27 AM

Is Anderson really trying to fix Amtrak or is there a different motivation?  Is there a future opening he is trying to get noticed for?

#36 fredmcain

fredmcain

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:31 PM

We forget that piece of info of Moorman being CEO too. How many of these changes were made under Moorman's stewardship, the former NS CEO.

Well, now, that's a good point.  I may be mistaken but didn't this whole question about "we're not sure about the long-distance services" first arrive under Moorman?

​Regards,

Fred M. Cain

#37 fredmcain

fredmcain

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 06:42 AM

<snip>

The greatest danger that the Southwest Chief faces at present IMHO is the possible failure of Rail Runner to meet the PTC deadline. Of all the potential PTC outages that were discussed at the Spring RPA Meeting, the Rail Runner one appeared to be the most problematic. Working through Senator Nelson's office we have determined that the two Florida ones will get resolved by December. Nothing similar has been found about the Rail Runner yet.

Well, I thought I heard that lines which are protected by the older Automatic Train Stop ( which I thought this line is ) would be granted a waiver for an unclear period of time.  Is that incorrect or perhaps misunderstood?

I would like to revisit this post that I made a while back.  It was stated that in order for this to happen, "Congress would have to change the law"? Really?  This same thing was just reported in the most recent issue of TRAINS Magazine that the FRA is considering allowing the Santa Fe's old ATS as a substitute for PTC on a temporary basis.  Did anyone else see that?  Or, maybe I just didn't understand the TRAINS article right.

Regards,

Fred M. Cain

​Regards,

Fred M. Cain

#38 MikefromCrete

MikefromCrete

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,347 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:28 AM

You right Fred, the Trains article said Railrunner will be using the Santa Fe ATS system on a temporary basis. This was the first time I've heard of such a solution, but apparently it can only be used on an interim basis until a real PTC system is installed. 

#39 fredmcain

fredmcain

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:48 AM

Mike,

One thing that I think is most unfortunate in today’s world is that several railroads such as the SP and IC ripped out hundreds of miles of ATS.  Even the Santa Fe removed their ATS on the San Joaquin Valley line following the discontinuance of Trains 1 & 2,  the San Franscisco Chief in 1971.

Several rail advocates and journalists have opined that Congress should’ve considered accepting ATS as a substitute for PTC on a permanent basis since it was a proven, off-the-shelf technology that would’ve worked. 

But, no matter.  It is what it is, I guess.

Maybe in the end something good will come out of this mess.  According to another article in the most recent TRAINS issue, BNSF’s Matt Rose seems to think so.

Regards,

Fred M. Cain

• cirdan likes this

​Regards,

Fred M. Cain

#40 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 08:11 AM

Huh?  Is that for sure a fact or a rumor?  Remember, the other day we were discussing rumors.  *IF* that's really true the question begs to be asked, why is he working there?  Certainly not because he's a foaming-at-the-mouth passenger train fan.

When Steve Jobs returned to Apple his official salary was 1 dollar a year, but of course in reality he made much more than that through stock options and things. Of course stock options are not guarnteed income but the better the business does. the more is in it for you. Jobs definitely made the Apple stock price go up up up and must have made himself quite a bit in the process.

Of course Amtrak doesn't have stocks. But maybe they gave him a contract in which only bonuses are payed based on achieving goals rather than there being a guaranteed base salary. 

Edited by cirdan, 04 June 2018 - 08:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users