Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Southwest Chief News & Future Operations

• Please log in to reply
430 replies to this topic

#421 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,931 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:03 AM

It could eventually mean Denver
  • bretton88 likes this

#422 bretton88

bretton88

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:20 PM

I'm going to say my own opinion on this: it makes a lot of sense for Colorado to push for a Colorado terminus. Even La Junta leaves options open for Colorado to work with Amtrak on service alternatives/possibilities. A Dodge City terminus for the Chief is not nearly as useful to Colorado.
  • jis and railiner like this

If I won the lottery, I'd probably build a passenger from nowhere to nowhere.

#423 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:07 PM

Rest assured NARP/RPA is on this...

Sign the Southwest Chief Petition!

https://www.railpass...chief-petition/
  • Devil's Advocate, desertflyer and cpotisch like this

#424 DSS&A

DSS&A

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 11:02 PM

Thanks!! I signed it today and forwarded it to others. Please pass this link to as many people as possible.
  • Devil's Advocate and cpotisch like this

#425 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,830 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 12:01 AM

Anderson wasn't hired so "hundreds of people" could tell him "how to run a railroad". He was hired to tell hundreds of railroaders how to run a passenger transportation business. Emphasis on "business". He seems to be doing a good job of it.

It should not be a business. It is an amenity of a civilized country.

Well said. National passenger rail as a conventional business ended on A-Day. Passenger rail as a profit center ended long before that. Amtrak today is no more a profit driven business than I-10 or the FAA.

There is a Fire Anderson petition on change.orhlg

Most interesting. Can you copy and paste a URL that would take us directly there? Regards, FMC

https://www.change.o...s-ceo-of-amtrak

Thank you ! BUT! ! ! ! Will this really help? I'd be glad to take a chance and sign it but I'm reluctant if it's just a gimmick. I seem to recall that change dot org was heavily involved in a lot of controversy a few years ago - I think they wanted to get George "Dubya" Bush out or something, didn't they? Can't remember exactly anymore but I do vaguely seem to remember that their efforts didn't go very far.

The while point of signing a petition is to join forces with strangers who share a common goal or concern.  Nobody is promising that they'll never disagree with you on any other issue.  Keep in mind that George "Dubya" Bush submitted budget proposals with zero dollars for Amtrak.  If Congress had followed his lead Amtrak wouldn't even be here for Anderson to mess with. Luckily for you George probably doesn't read Change.org and has no idea who you are.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 14 July 2018 - 10:34 AM.

• E60JPC likes this

#426 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,786 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 14 July 2018 - 10:01 AM

Signed! I'm hoping that this is going to be a bit more affective than any of the vague nonsense petitions on change.org.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#427 bretton88

bretton88

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 10:11 AM

Signed! I'm hoping that this is going to be a bit more affective than any of the vague nonsense petitions on change.org.
Have change.org petitions ever been effective? I'm not arguing against it (sign away, show support for your causes), I'm just curious because I always hear about petitions with millions of signatures on them that accomplish zilch. Now the RPA petition might be more effective because it's targeted and RPA has Washington connections.

Edited by bretton88, 14 July 2018 - 10:13 AM.

If I won the lottery, I'd probably build a passenger from nowhere to nowhere.

#428 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,830 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 11:06 AM

Rest assured NARP/RPA is on this... Sign the Southwest Chief Petition!

Complaining about the wording of petitions on change.org is a bit like complaining about the wording of an article on Wikipedia. If you know you can do better then you can start your own petition and word it exactly the way you think is best.

Have change.org petitions ever been effective? I'm not arguing against it (sign away, show support for your causes), I'm just curious because I always hear about petitions with millions of signatures on them that accomplish zilch.

Has a major issue or serious problem ever been resolved by nothing more than a bunch of strangers spending ten or fifteen seconds signing a petition? No, of course not. Does that mean petitions are inherently useless? No, not at all.  The point of a petition isn't to solve a problem all on its own, that would be ludicrous. The goal of a petition is to generate interest and attention, to join together otherwise disparate people and groups who happen to share a common goal or concern, and to push advocates into action. Even in the best of situations a petition is nothing more than an intermediate step in a much longer and far more involved process toward a meaningful resolution. In all likelihood any battle worth fighting for will include hundreds if not thousands of different petitions. Asking how much each individual petition actually helped is like asking which drop of water finally overwhelmed a damn. They each played their role.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 14 July 2018 - 01:33 PM.

• Seaboard92 and cpotisch like this

#429 lordsigma

lordsigma

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 11:19 AM

Anderson wasn't hired so "hundreds of people" could tell him "how to run a railroad". He was hired to tell hundreds of railroaders how to run a passenger transportation business. Emphasis on "business". He seems to be doing a good job of it.

It should not be a business. It is an amenity of a civilized country.

Well said. National passenger rail as a conventional business ended on A-Day. Passenger rail as a profit center ended long before that. Amtrak today is no more a profit driven business than I-10 or the FAA.

Agree wholeheartedly. If they attempt to weaponize PTC on segments that have so little traffic that they are exempt they should be called out on it. And I hope people will see hypocrisy when it is used against the LD trains while state supported corridors that also have dark and PTC exempt areas are given a pass. All this with the chief and now rumors about rerouting the CZ due to PTC exempt area while in my area for example you have the Vermonter where the entire portion of the route that is unique to the train is PTC exempt and a decent chunk of that dark and will likely receive a pass because it fits more into Anderson’s vision of the trains he wants to run. And they are going to be ADDING trains to part of that PTC exempt corridor. I am a supporter of corridors and NEC and focusing on building those business lines but only if Amtrak’s National network is kept intact.
  • Thirdrail7 likes this

#430 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,786 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 14 July 2018 - 11:38 AM

Have change.org petitions ever been effective? I'm not arguing against it (sign away, show support for your causes), I'm just curious because I always hear about petitions with millions of signatures on them that accomplish zilch.

Has a major issue or serious problem ever been resolved by nothing more than a bunch of strangers spending ten or fifteen seconds signing a petition? No, of course not. Does that mean petitions are inherently useless? No, not at all.  It simply means that millions of people still don't understand how basic advocacy is supposed to work or which tools are used for which purposes. The point of a petition isn't to solve a problem all on its own, that would be ludicrous. The goal of a petition is to generate attention, to join together otherwise disparate people and groups who happen to share a common goal or concern, and to push advoctes into action. Even in the best of situations a petition is nothing more than an intermediate step in a much longer and far more involved process toward a meaningful resolution. In all likelihood any battle worth fighting for will include hundreds if not thousands of petitions. Asking how much each individual petition actually helped is like asking which drop of water finally overwhelmed a damn. Each and every one of them was necessary to achieve the final result.

I completely agree that petitions, if well implemented, can generate attention and cumulatively, make a difference. However, I'm just of the opinion that change.org is not a very effective venue for protesting Amtrak's decisions and stuff like that. On the other hand, NARP is in my opinion pretty much the only group that can actually apply real pressure towards Amtrak's leadership, and has a pretty good track record of making a difference with this kind of stuff.

Edited by cpotisch, 14 July 2018 - 03:53 PM.

• jis and daybeers like this
Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#431 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 14 July 2018 - 12:41 PM

The thing about petitions is not if they do anything or not because like DA said their value is in the number of people they can connect. Politicians in Washington so look at numbers of people on a regular basis. Even if it's poorly worded the message that hey a million people want this carries some weight.
  • Thirdrail7 likes this
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users