Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Southwest Chief News & Future Operations

• Please log in to reply
796 replies to this topic

#401 Anthony V

Anthony V

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 04:30 PM

I wonder if this news would have any effect on efforts to finance the installation of PTC on the Rail Runner line, for better or worse. Tell me what you think.

https://www.abqjourn...yment-plan.html

Edited by Anthony V, 10 July 2018 - 04:37 PM.

#402 bretton88

bretton88

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 05:11 PM

I wonder if this news would have any effect on efforts to finance the installation of PTC on the Rail Runner line, for better or worse. Tell me what you think.

https://www.abqjourn...yment-plan.html

My guess is not. NM will just redirect the money saved to roads. The state is responsible for paying the construction bonds, but Rio Metro is responsible for operation and upkeep of Railrunner. Being that one of the reasons they used for backing out of the raton line purchase was "we won't have money for road upkeep!" I would be surprised if they diverted anymore money to Railrunner.

If I won the lottery, I'd probably build a passenger from nowhere to nowhere.

#403 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:36 PM

There is a Fire Anderson petition on change.orhlg

Most interesting.  Can you copy and paste a URL that would take us directly there?

Regards,
FMC

https://www.change.o...s-ceo-of-amtrak
  • Devil's Advocate likes this

#404 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:21 AM

Amtrak improved QoS to the point Santa Fe allowed Amtrak to call the train the Southwest Chief.

California Zephyr • Coast Starlight  • Southwest Chief • Sunset Limited • Texas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr • Capitol Corridor

. . . . Amtrak miles - 23,703, so far.

#405 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,530 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:33 AM

Amtrak improved QoS to the point Santa Fe allowed Amtrak to call the train the Southwest Chief.

That's true, but if John S. Reed, (RIP), was still around today, bet they would take back the name again.... ;)

• cpotisch likes this
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#406 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:37 AM

That's true, but if John S. Reed, (RIP), was still around today, bet they would take back the name again.... ;)

If the CL or LSL were called the "Capitol Chief" or the "Lake Shore Chief," I'm sure he would claw his way out of his grave and deal with Anderson personally.  :P

• Seaboard92 likes this

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#407 MikefromCrete

MikefromCrete

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,450 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:39 AM

Reed was probably the last railroad CEO to give a crap about passenger trains. 

#408 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,530 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:50 AM

Reed was probably the last railroad CEO to give a crap about passenger trains. 

He certainly was among a small handful...such as William T. Rice (SCL)...both of those gentlemen languished hard over the eventual bottom line decision to 'join Amtrak'...

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#409 fredmcain

fredmcain

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Gardening, older U.S. Numbered Highways (Like Route 66) & Piano Ragtime

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:32 AM

There is a Fire Anderson petition on change.orhlg

Most interesting.  Can you copy and paste a URL that would take us directly there?

Regards,
FMC

https://www.change.o...s-ceo-of-amtrak

Thank you !  BUT! ! ! !  Will this really help?  I'd be glad to take a chance and sign it but I'm reluctant if it's just a gimmick.  I seem to recall that change dot org was heavily involved in a lot of controversy a few years ago - I think they wanted to get George "Dubya" Bush out or something, didn't they?  Can't remember exactly anymore but I do vaguely seem to remember that their efforts didn't go very far.

Regards,

Fred M. Cain

• greatcats and cpotisch like this

​Regards,

Fred M. Cain

#410 fredmcain

fredmcain

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Gardening, older U.S. Numbered Highways (Like Route 66) & Piano Ragtime

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:41 AM

cpotisch, on 10 Jul 2018 - 3:33 PM, said: "Nah, those stayed on the Southwest Limited (which finally drags the thread kinda sorta back on-topic)."

Here, here!  I second the hint.  Which leads me to the question, has anybody heard anything on the Southwest Chief issues the last few days?  I have been "Googling" on Google news looking for items but found none.

The last substantial development I was able to find involved Senator Heinrich from New Mexico from about June 22nd, I think it was.  Supposedly he was considering new legislation that would protect the Chief.  I e-mailed him for more info but he did not respond.  (No real surprise there since I'm not a New Mexico resident.)

Anybody have any good updates?

Regards,

Fred M. Dain

​Regards,

Fred M. Cain

#411 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,530 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:56 AM

I too wonder about the value of those online petitions....

I wonder how many signatures on one of those, would equal the visit by an advocate to the office of their senator or representative to voice their concern, even if only to a staff member?

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#412 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:05 PM

cpotisch, on 10 Jul 2018 - 3:33 PM, said: "Nah, those stayed on the Southwest Limited (which finally drags the thread kinda sorta back on-topic)."

Actually that was RPC...

Nah, those stayed on the Southwest Limited (which finally drags the thread kinda sorta back on-topic).

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#413 fredmcain

fredmcain

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:21 PM

Actually that was RPC...

Nah, those stayed on the Southwest Limited (which finally drags the thread kinda sorta back on-topic).

Ah, well, whatever.  I thought it was a good point in any event - and tactfully made at that.

But! Anybody heard any new Chief news?

Regards,

Fred M. Cain

​Regards,

Fred M. Cain

#414 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:23 PM

Actually that was RPC...

Ah, well, whatever.  I thought it was a good point in any event - and tactfully made at that.

But! Anybody heard any new Chief news?

Regards,

Fred M. Cain

Yeah, it's no big deal. As to Chief news, if anyone learns anything new that is of note, I'm sure they'll post it, so we'll all have to just be patient.

#415 looshi

looshi

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:16 PM

I heard from a friend that Amtrak cancelled the assistant conductor position he had applied to out of the La Junta crewbase. That's probably not a good sign.

#416 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:26 PM

I remember reading a story once a out an Illinois Central engineer once who on a twenty to thirty mile downgrade that was fairly straight looked at his fireman and said lets see what these e units can do. And they had it going about 113. So yeah it's possible to coax a locomotive up that high.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#417 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,514 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:03 PM

Their governor was supposedly set for 116mph.

Edited by jis, 11 July 2018 - 04:08 PM.

#418 bretton88

bretton88

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:56 PM

Watch Colorado in this drama, there's a few interesting counter-ideas they're bouncing around, none of which might come to fruition. What I can say is they're pushing hard for a La Junta terminus if this breakup comes to pass. Colorado has an interesting bargaining position and may try to see what they can do with it.

• Chey likes this

If I won the lottery, I'd probably build a passenger from nowhere to nowhere.

#419 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,514 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:04 AM

Does La Junta actually mean Pueblo?
  • bretton88 likes this

#420 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:51 AM

No. It actually means "the joint" or "the meeting".

• jis, railiner and AmtrakBlue like this

California Zephyr • Coast Starlight  • Southwest Chief • Sunset Limited • Texas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr • Capitol Corridor

. . . . Amtrak miles - 23,703, so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users