Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Route Selection Limited

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rogers55

rogers55

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 06:46 PM

When making a reservation on-line the system will select a route based on my departure and destination and not display any other routes.  For example LAX to NYC, it displays Texas Eagle but not Southwest Chief, even though the Chief is shorter route.  Is this the way it works now or am I missing something?  I know that I can always call but this makes planning the trip more difficult.

#2 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:07 PM

That is surprising since the SWC is the shorter/faster trip and that should come up first. 

I remember when I was trying to book from TRE/PHL to DAL the option through the LSL wouldn't come up (this was for last year). When the trip involves one or more connections, it sometimes misses obvious choices.

You could try booking separate trips between LAX and CHI and CHI and NYP. The problem then is if you miss your connection then Amtrak owes you nothing. You can use the "multi-city" option. Or if your dates are flexible you can choose a date the TE doesn't go to LAX and the system would be forced to give you the SWC.

• oregon pioneer likes this

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL), Texas Eagle (CHI-DAL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#3 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, trivia, genealogy

Posted 22 May 2018 - 08:22 PM

When making a reservation on-line the system will select a route based on my departure and destination and not display any other routes.  For example LAX to NYC, it displays Texas Eagle but not Southwest Chief, even though the Chief is shorter route.  Is this the way it works now or am I missing something?  I know that I can always call but this makes planning the trip more difficult.

That's strange. When I put in LAX to NYP, it gives me three options involving the Southwest Chief.

1) Southwest Chief to Lake Shore Limited

2) Southwest Chief to Capitol Limited to Northeast Regional

3) Southwest Chief to Capitol Limited to another Northeast Regional

It doesn't even suggest the Texas Eagle.

Could the Southwest Chief be sold out for your travel dates? Which dates are you using?

Amtrak Miles: 48,312

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#4 rogers55

rogers55

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 02:58 PM

I guess it will remain a mystery.  The SWC is not sold out, I can select it individually and get open roomettes. My workaround is to download the system time table and plan my trip on paper and then make reservations by phone.  

#5 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 23 May 2018 - 06:51 PM

Tthe Texas Eagle arrives in Chicago two hours earlier than the Chief, and since the LSL isn't running to NYP this summer, it could have something to do with the connection time being too short to get from the SWC to the Cardinal or Capitol. Did you check to see if the Chief shows up when you search for LAX-CHI that day? If it does, then the problem might have to do with the connection.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#6 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,710 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 07:58 PM

Every once and a while they show a preferred routing and don't show alternates. I am coming home from the USA Hockey meeting in Colorado, and it will be CZ to Chicago, and CL/NER to NY from WAS. System displayed CL to PGH to the Penn to PHL to NYP on an  NER. Even if one were so inclined to save a few bucks and change in PGH why would you get off the Penn? A phone call resolved the issue.

• dogbert617 and cpotisch like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users